mgm soprano vs non-mgm concert???

K.BERGE

Reaction score
hi all,
so ive been wanting to get a uke for a while now and im finally ready to by one, but ive decided to come to you all for guidance before i pull the trigger.

This will be my first Uke and i currently dont play any instruments.

i want either a soprano or concert but not completely set on either yet.

i like the mgm setup dolphin bridge but dont know if i like the "toy" look of it.

I was also looking at some lanakia's

would you choose a mgm setup lu-11 or a store stock lu-21??
Should i just go with the dolphin bridge makala or check out some other makalas?

would i be better of going with a stock concert or a mgm soprano for my first uke?????

Thanks in advanced guys!

1) Unless the store that sets up the 'ukulele has someone who actually plays 'ukulele as opposed to having experience limited to trying out the stuff they're selling, I'd go with MGM 100% of the time. All things being equal, I'd still lean toward MGM unless the vibe at the store was right.

MGM knows his stuff, is a brick & mortar store in Hawaii, and takes care of his customers. Do a little searching on here and you'll find that MGM has a very good reputation.

2) Not sure how to compare "a stock concert or a mgm soprano". The size preference is personal, and most of what MGM sells is stock with a good setup and a good set of strings.

The more that I think about it, since you're new to this, I'd go with MGM. Shoot him your questions pertaining to a 'uke with as much information as you can about what you're looking for. I'm sure he'll respond and give you some options as to what he can offer to satisfy your desires.

I've not played a dolphin, but I hear really good things about the sound for money factor with them. Apparently a lot of people get them to repaint, as a starter uke, or as a take everywhere without worry of destruction uke. I recently bought my first uke too. I looked at some of the makala/kala stuff but decided to order a Kamoa Mahogany Concert from Larry's Music in Hawaii. You'll spend a bit more. But the customer service is great, they never mind answering questions or helping new players, and the sound is awesome.

first , I'd decide what size I wanted. the concert might be a good 1st uke because it's in the middle, a little more fret room and still has the plunky sound. then I'd definately go w/ MGM unless I knew how to tweek one on my own. I've bought several from MGM and several from amazon. The ones from MGM were always great and the ones from amazon were a mixed bag, sometimes they come factory just fine, sometimes they don't, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I love my dolphin, but if you're turned off by the cute factor go with the Makala soprano MK-S or the concert MK-C. MGM has a starter pack that includes everything you need.

Personally, I say go with MGM - I'm pretty new to ukuleles and having an instrument that is setup (correct, comfortable action, polished frets, etc.), makes all the difference when starting out. I bought a used guitar off of eBay once sight-unseen; The action was so high on it that it was virtually unplayable.

Unless the Dolphin bridge really bothers you, those are great starter/kick-around ukes. I really like mine, and it didn't cost much. The Lanikai will look more traditional though.

Good luck!

MGM is always a good choice! In November I purchased some Makala MK-S ukuleles for gifts at North Carolina Ukulele Academy and would defnitely recommend that shop too. www.alohau.com. Kent, the owner, restrung them with Aquila strings, made a few adjustments (all while I waited), and they sounded great! Got some inexpensive gig bags to go with them and some felt picks too. Nice little ukuleles at that price point.

Last edited:
You could always contact Mim as well. She has a different selection than MGM, does set up, and is super nice. Fire her off a phone call and she'll hook you up. I have bought several from Mim and have yet to be disappointed.

Would second what others say, having Ukes from all over the place, about buying a uke from someone on the underground. I have an MGM and it is the best player of the lot- that setup is unreal.
I hear great things about Mim (and will hopefully be sending her an email Monday), and Mainland as well.
Can't pick a size for you, but I like all the sizes. There is no rule about size of body parts versus size of Uke...Iz had fingers that look like arms and played Soprano very nicely. I can tell you that a Dolphin is a great tool for rockin' (especially with Aquilla strings in it). They will be the last remaining artifacts of civilization and are great to play...but you need to have a sense of humor to do so.
I was a t a uke get together a few weeks ago and all the toys were out. Of course I reached for the Ko'Aloha first as I had not played one, but I played a pink Dolphin for the rest of the night (not that the Ko'Aloha does not wake me up at night).

MGM. Hands down. As a first uke, you'll be frustrated if it's not set up, plays out of tune, etc. Go MGM.

If you are looking at an entry level uke, MGM is the best route to go. You get his complete set up and new aquila strings so the uke will sound great. I got a Makala Concert from him (about $55) and with his set up, that uke is fun to play and sounds really good and the action is set just right.

I bought one of those LU11 soprano ukes from MGM for my granddaughter's Christmas present. He did a great job setting it up and it's a great playing uke.

Go with a pro every time, especially for your first instrument. An instrument that is set up properly encourages you so you practice more and get better faster. At the best, an improperly set up instrument will slow your progress and I believe that many people get discouraged and quit simply because the instrument they began with was all but unplayable.

John

Aloha K.BERGE,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele...without a doubt a MGM soprano and if you can get the LU-21 better yet...his free set up is priceless...worth every cent..Good Luck! Merry Christmas! MM Stan

Wow.. You guys are great. Thanks so much for all the info. Its much appreciated..

To answer the first question, I'd like to spend as little as possible... But still get a decent uke.. The holiday season has got me very low on money and I want to make sure I'm gonna stick with it.

Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the makala dolphin bridge. Sounds like its a damn good deal and hard to beat for the price.. If I stick with the hobby I can always upgrade or add a uke later.
I'm gonna do some research on Mim and some of the other Uke's mentioned but I'm starting to really lean towards that MGM makala dolphin. Haha

Another question.. Right now it looks like MGM's only has the white dolphin listed.. Do you think he could do me a different color or do I just have to wait for it to show up?

Thanks again guys and Merry Christmas to you all!!

Contact him via email and inquire about inventory. He may have more than what is actually listed.

Top Bottom