upgrading the tuners on a makala dolphin

raecarter

Reaction score
Is this improve the abilityof it to stay in tune and is it possible? Merry Christmas

If this is a new ukulele, maybe your strings are new, and they are stretching still. Play it for 3 or 4 days, and you should only have to tune it once a day if the temperature is stable. I find that most of the time, the Dolphin tuners are fine.

–Lori

Who set it up? It could be the action is off and playing out of trune because the strings sit too high off the fret board.

Is this improve the abilityof it to stay in tune and is it possible? Merry Christmas

In my limited experience, upgrading the tuners on a soprano doesn't help. The string tension is low enough that it doesn't matter.

I was just setting up another two Dolphins as gifts yesterday & using my own to tune by & was reminded how much I HATE those cheap tuners. There is just way too much slop in the stock tuners. (my own has Aquila's & is well past the break in stage). I REALLY like the tuners Mele uses & they sell them outright for $40, but just haven't been able to make myself buy a set for what I paid for the Dolphin originally.

If your strings are new, it might be just the strings breaking in, though.

I was just setting up another two Dolphins as gifts yesterday & using my own to tune by & was reminded how much I HATE those cheap tuners. There is just way too much slop in the stock tuners. (my own has Aquila's & is well past the break in stage). I REALLY like the tuners Mele uses & they sell them outright for $40, but just haven't been able to make myself buy a set for what I paid for the Dolphin originally.

If your strings are new, it might be just the strings breaking in, though.

It's actually six months old I just want the tuners to respond correctly and stay in tune. I need another uke for gigging and thought if I just upgraded the tuners I'd be able to use it for longer periods without it going out of tune. I don't like the way they work I guess. So if I bought some for 25 pounds they should improve performance?

never had any problems with mine, put some worth clears on and it sounds fine stays in tune pretty well.maybe just try some diff strings?

Top Bottom