PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Christmas?

ukerdavid
12-25-2010, 07:24 AM
I just thought that this would be a nice way of sharing what everyone got for Christmas, if they got something haha! non-the less happy holidays to all! :D

p.s. i got a Cordoba concert 20cm, its nothing special compared to what Ive seen on here but its alot to me, considering its my second ukulele!

Chris Tarman
12-25-2010, 08:21 AM
The uke-related gifts I got were: A navy blue Ukulele Underground T-shirt from my in-laws (because the red ones were sold out); a set of Martin Fluorocarbon strings from my brother-in-law; and "The Jumping Flea" uke documentary from my wife.

iamblinkin
12-25-2010, 08:28 AM
The 'rents surprised me with a tenor mahogany Eleuke. She's a beaut! As is your Cordoba Ukerdavid! Merry Christmas :)

http://i.imgur.com/JCSdz.jpg

TicToc
12-25-2010, 08:46 AM
As for Ukulele, I got a Makala Dolphin in Candy Apple Red! I love the little thing!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9635/makaladolphin.png

Excuse the bed head and pajamas, haha.

wickedwahine11
12-25-2010, 09:00 AM
My uke related gifts were two packs of Worth strings (Mom meant well but got the wrong ones so I have to try and exchange them from Elderly) and most importantly, the Amplitude iRig kit for my iPhone and iPad. I can't wait to download the app off iTunes and get rocking!

mm stan
12-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Boo Hoo...he he only ukulele I got was a refridgerator magnet....at least it got strings and well made...weeeeeeeeeee, I am blessed to have all of you as friends.... MM Stan

harpdog
12-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Uke related - well, it IS
my son truly surprised me with
http://www.mrbeer.com/images/kits/img-kitbuy-gold.jpg

MISTER BEER !
home brewing kit
this should be a lot of fun

Kem
12-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Not uke-related, strictly speaking, and also technically not a Christmas gift...but I did finally get to play the little harp my birth-mother left for me at my parents' place a few months ago (she can't play any more because of illness). It's not particularly well made, and the wood has split all over the place, but it sounds fine and is great fun to play. I wish I had some way of taking it back east with me. Ah well.

Inner Prop
12-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Lanikai LU21 and a gig bag. My first.

Gmoney
12-25-2010, 02:26 PM
1) My wife home from the Hospital!!
2) First Christmas w/my new Grandson!!
3) Both my daughters & one son-in-law to share it all with...

Oh, and a Grizzly Soprano kit, "The Daily Ukulele" book(!), and have a KoAloha Pikake Soprano, a Martin 0, & one more uke heading this way next week!

itsme
12-25-2010, 02:31 PM
We don't do gifts, but I did recently buy myself a nice Kala thinline spruce-top tenor here in the Marketplace. I'm lovin' it! :)

Last night I was making dinner and realized I could use another pan of the correct size so I raided the downstairs apartment and found a brand new 3-quart Farberware saucepan which was perfect. So that was kinda like getting a present. :)

fitncrafty
12-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Lanikai LU21 and a gig bag. My first.

Yeah.. you must be crazy excited!! How's your finger tips doing?

fitncrafty
12-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Oh, and a Grizzly Soprano kit, "The Daily Ukulele" book(!), and have a KoAloha Pikake Soprano, a Martin 0, & one more uke heading this way next week!

sounds perfect Gmoney! Hope you had a marvelous day...

dkcrown
12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I got one gift today, from my three boys. Keith Richards new biography "Life". Can't wait to get into it. I've heard it is fabulous, a must read.

Oh yeah, and hosted my entire immediate family for Christmas, the best gift of all.

UkeSoCrazy
12-25-2010, 07:21 PM
My wife lied to me... :mad: She told me that she wasn't going to be able to get me a new ukulele for Christmas this year. No, she got me two. I do not deserve this wonderful woman...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/KRPangburn/Uke/Riptide.jpg
Riptide ECUT-5BK-Tenor

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/KRPangburn/Uke/Ohana.jpg
Ohana TK-75CG

I couldn't have been more surprised if I had woke up with my head sewed to the carpet...

Love you baby. :love:

Plainsong
12-25-2010, 08:38 PM
That's our annual Christmas Eve movie. I didn't realize Rusty is now on The Big Bang Theory.

Other than the Eleuke that I got to a little early, I got some Aiaiai TMA-1 headphones. They look and sound killer. I got some matcha green tea from Teapigs for myself, and a moleskin stingy brim hat made for my head by ebay hat maker Jill Corbett. She sent it around Thanksgiving, but as it only got here on Wednesday, I decided to make it a gift. :)

I've got a Mainland concert from Eagle Music coming hopefully by my birthday, so Santa was VERY good to me. Last year I got the Kanilea dlx superconcert. That was grandpa's last gift to me, and I never want to top that.

Since Christmas is about family, I'll share this phone conversation I had with grandma. I did the Christmas Day call, and we chatted about things grandmothers want to talk about. And then somehow uke came up.

Her: You play ukulele??

Me: Yes ma'am, for a few years now. It's tough for me to say youkulaylee though, since the Finnish pronunciation is the same as the Hawaiian one. (me trying to over pronounce it because I know she'll think ookoolehleh will sound weird)

Her: Why don't you still play clarinet??

(I haven't played that since my freshmen year of college. My major instrument was VOICE.)

Me: .... I ...uhhh... well with uke I can at least try to sing and play. Guitar is too big for me. (Her oldest son and my uncle is a great player)

Her: But clarinet isn't too big! You should play clarinet!

Me: .....

I wasn't angry or annoyed or anything. It made me smile. It's not the only instrument I played. It was just the first one I played. I'm in my 30s now. To her, I'm a 5th grader in beginner band. But hey, I'm still young in SOMEONE'S eyes! :) Don't ever be annoyed by your grandparents, kids. They will ALWAYS see you as children. There's no way around it! And they won't be with us forever, so don't take them for granted. Grandpa wanted me to get the Kanilea because it obviously made me happy, and it was built very near a place that he loved very much.

I couldn't have been more surprised if I had woke up with my head sewed to the carpet...

ytmr
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, non ukulele presents wise, it was brilliant. I'm a music geek (well, as far as a teen music geek can get), and I splurged on a new pair of headphones, earphones and CDs (hellogoodbye, marianas trench's director cut)

marymac
12-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Remember that thread with a poll asking what you wanted for Christmas? I selected "Talent" from the list of choices. Unfortunately Santa wasn't handing out talent this year, just advice: "Practice!", he said. I grumbled.

Fortunately three of the ukes I've given as gifts recently (including 2 of the ones I gave as gifts this Christmas) are taking root in their new owners' lives. My own uke orchestra is taking shape! My cousin Beth was awesome on her new Kala Koa Concert and my partner Holly did great on her new Kelii Tenor. Neither played a stringed instrument before but after watching the "How to Play Ukulele for Kids" video with Marcy Marxer my new accompanists had their C-G7-F chords going strong. We were able to play a nice rendition of Ukulele Lady (a simple one from Alligator Boogaloo) and an AWESOME version of the Capital Blues (James Hill). It was wonderful. Even better than getting talent is getting people to play with. Woohoo! Practice doesn't feel like practice when I'm playing along with others :D

marymac
12-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I got one gift today, from my three boys. Keith Richards new biography "Life". Can't wait to get into it. I've heard it is fabulous, a must read.

Let me know how the "Life" book is. I'd love to hear a review! Thanks - and merry christmas!

brucemoffatt
12-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I've had some wonderful gifts from the family, and shared Christmas with them. Not really any uke stuff apart from a Jimi Hendrix anthology CD - well it's a tenuous link, but I can see it.

The surprising and priceless thing that stands out is this forum. People reaching out, all your different lives, sharing and caring. MMStan, you and I are both blessed to have this as the uke part of our Christmas. Thank you all.

Bruce in Adelaide

Hippie Dribble
12-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Remember that thread with a poll asking what you wanted for Christmas? I selected "Talent" from the list of choices. Unfortunately Santa wasn't handing out talent this year, just advice: "Practice!", he said. I grumbled.

Fortunately three of the ukes I've given as gifts recently (including 2 of the ones I gave as gifts this Christmas) are taking root in their new owners' lives. My own uke orchestra is taking shape! My cousin Beth was awesome on her new Kala Koa Concert and my partner Holly did great on her new Kelii Tenor. Neither played a stringed instrument before but after watching the "How to Play Ukulele for Kids" video with Marcy Marxer my new accompanists had their C-G7-F chords going strong. We were able to play a nice rendition of Ukulele Lady (a simple one from Alligator Boogaloo) and an AWESOME version of the Capital Blues (James Hill). It was wonderful. Even better than getting talent is getting people to play with. Woohoo! Practice doesn't feel like practice when I'm playing along with others :D

totally agree Mary. So well said mate. The gift of music is so precious. Thanks for sharing buddy. Here's to many years of you all making beautiful music together. :)

Hippie Dribble
12-25-2010, 11:45 PM
I've had some wonderful gifts from the family, and shared Christmas with them. Not really any uke stuff apart from a Jimi Hendrix anthology CD - well it's a tenuous link, but I can see it.

The surprising and priceless thing that stands out is this forum. People reaching out, all your different lives, sharing and caring. MMStan, you and I are both blessed to have this as the uke part of our Christmas. Thank you all.

Bruce in Adelaide

and warm wishes to you as well Bruce. This truly is a wonderful community, eh. I also feel blessed as you do, living vicariously the joys and hopes of other members these past couple of days. Just awesome. So glad to have discovered this site and the great people within it. Cheers mate!

Pippin
12-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. Blessings to all.

Pippin
12-26-2010, 02:20 AM
My family was happy that I was home from the hospital and that I am cancer-free. Now, it is just keeping me that way. I brought a uke to our Christmas Eve gathering and also two ukes to a Christmas Day dinner. We played a little music, but, everyone seemed in their own little worlds this year. Must have been all the recent chaos. It's always good seeing the family.

greyfox
12-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Grandsons Elijah (21 mos) and Gabriel (2 mos) came to visit grandpa, and both daughters were home as well. Special times....
Uke related, I got a cool little Flea camp with a tenor neck from mgm.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and got to spend time with friends and loved ones.

Will

redheadedali
12-26-2010, 07:09 AM

I got that book, too, but I have huge work project that will be consuming my life until the deadline on January 12, so I won't be able to read it until then. :(

I also got a Lanikai LU-21 CE in black with (faux) mother of pearl binding. It is so pretty. I have dubbed it Johnny Cash. I also got the amp to go with it; this is the only uke I have with a pickup, and it was fun playing around with the sound controls last night :).

clayton56
12-26-2010, 10:59 AM
seeing as how I don't wait for Christmas to buy a uke, I got something else - a set of mallets for percussion.

Skrik
12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I got the woman of my dreams to agree to marry me.

marymac
12-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Ok that's a pretty great christmas present. Congratulations!

brucemoffatt
12-26-2010, 11:57 AM

You win!

Awesome. joy to you both.

ksiegel
12-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I got a rock.

Mr Bill
12-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Got this Les Paul 50's Tribute Studio sporting a gold top.
Not a uke, but, nontheless it's pretty neat.
I musta been good this year.
Cheers.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97/mrbill67/010-1-2.jpg

ichadwick
12-26-2010, 01:10 PM
A couch.

No, really. That's what we bought ourselves. Well, okay, it's not really a Christmas gift (we don't celebrate Xmas, but we enjoy the holiday and family time of the season). But we needed a new one and it was delivered just over a week before Xmas, so that's what we tell people we gave each other. I tried to get Susan to throw in a new Mainland cedar baritone uke, but she chose throw pillows instead.

ichadwick
12-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I got a rock.
Could be worse. Could be a lump of coal.

OldePhart
12-26-2010, 01:20 PM
A couch.

I tried to get Susan to throw in a new Mainland cedar baritone uke, but she chose throw pillows instead.

Go figure. She should have known that a uke would make that new couch look much more special than a bunch of silly pillows!

On the other hand, the pillows are softer he she decides to throw them at you... LOL

John

chris h
12-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I've had a Mainland tenor mahogany still sealed in its box under my bed for a couple of weeks now which I ordered directly online for christmas day.
Wow, I just love it.So nice to play an instrument that has been obviously set up correctly. It brought tears to my eyes it was so great to play.

peterp
12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
My wife bought me a Moore Bettah soprano. I'm spoiled, and most undeserving. But I'm loving it.

Lexxy
12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
My wife bought me a Moore Bettah soprano. I'm spoiled, and most undeserving. But I'm loving it.

Pics or it never happened!

marymac
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Wow - she must really love you. Definitely post pics!

pdxuke
12-26-2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18832

Hippie Dribble
12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Wow - she must really love you. Definitely post pics!

What Mary and Lexxy said!!!!!

Peter, PLEEEEAASE post pics of the Moore Bettah. We're all drooling in anticipation :drool:

captain_kelly
12-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Well,since I have no friends or family that care about me, I had to buy my christmas present myself :( I bought a Cordoba 10CM Ukulele Started pack from Best Buy.It was on sale for $80 and so far I think I got a really great deal!It's staying in tune extremely well for a new instrument and it sounds great(at least to me).This is my first Uke and I'm already eying an Eleuke Tenor Pineapple and a lanikai Tenor Acoustic Electric!

Hippie Dribble
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Well,since I have no friends or family that care about me, I had to buy my christmas present myself :( I bought a Cordoba 10CM Ukulele Started pack from Best Buy.It was on sale for $80 and so far I think I got a really great deal!It's staying in tune extremely well for a new instrument and it sounds great(at least to me).This is my first Uke and I'm already eying an Eleuke Tenor Pineapple and a lanikai Tenor Acoustic Electric!

g'day captain

and welcome to the UU mate. Congrats on the purchase of the Cordoba. Hope you get many years of pleasure out of it, and the other ukes on your "hit list"!!! Enjoy your playing and the forums. see you on the trail, eugene :)

GreatGazukes
12-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I got a rock.

What key is it tuned in?

Skottoman
12-27-2010, 04:27 AM
I got a cool little VOX amp (with fx) and a shure 58 mic for playing my uke through. The reverb just makes it so much fun to finger pick!
Cheers,
Skottoman

UkeSoCrazy
12-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Got this Les Paul 50's Tribute Studio sporting a gold top.
Not a uke, but, nontheless it's pretty neat.
I musta been good this year.
Cheers.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97/mrbill67/010-1-2.jpg

Awesome! :drool: Gotta love the gift of Gibson!!

peterp
12-27-2010, 05:02 AM
What Mary and Lexxy said!!!!!

Peter, PLEEEEAASE post pics of the Moore Bettah. We're all drooling in anticipation :drool:

I'll post pics soon. We're traveling at the moment.

ksiegel
12-27-2010, 08:19 AM
What key is it tuned in?

I'm not sure, but when I dropped it, it stayed put - so I guess whatever it is, it's flat.

-Kurt

bbycrts
12-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Uke related - well, it IS
my son truly surprised me with
http://www.mrbeer.com/images/kits/img-kitbuy-gold.jpg

MISTER BEER !
home brewing kit
this should be a lot of fun

I got one of these, too! My wife's grandma gave it to me. Now THAT is a cool grandma!

bbycrts
12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure, but when I dropped it, it stayed put - so I guess whatever it is, it's flat.

-Kurt

www.instantrimshot.com

harpdog
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I got one of these, too! My wife's grandma gave it to me. Now THAT is a cool grandma!

I started my first batch of MR. BEER today - "Blonde Ale"

now I have to WAIT!

bbycrts
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I started my first batch of MR. BEER today - "Blonde Ale"

now I have to WAIT!

I plan on doing the same thing when I get home from work - I just have to find some place to store my keg while the magic happens!

Strumbunny
12-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I got a Uke Leash with a button adapter (except I need another button adapter because my uke actually has two buttons installed and my non-uke-playing husband didn't realize this when he bought the leash). I had been using a child's guitar strap, which was okay but a little wider than I wanted. The uke leash is nice and slim and unobtrusive. I think everyone in my uke group is going to ask where I got it :cool:

I also got a copy of Fretboard Roadmaps (which I think I am finally ready for, yay!)

This is my first post on UU. I've been learning from you all for a while so I figured it was time to get my feet wet. Thanks for sharing all your cool presents everyone!

sukie
12-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I got a three foot tall fuzzy flamingo. :-)

I am way too easy to shop for.

OldePhart
12-27-2010, 01:17 PM

-Kurt
All right wise guy - now you have to come to my house and clean the coffee out of my keyboard!

Seriously, that is one of the funniest one-liners I've seen in years. (We're all such geeks! LOL)

John

peterp
12-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Pics or it never happened!

here are some pics of my new moore bettah soprano:
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/jpohlenz/moorebettahsoprano

marymac
12-31-2010, 07:31 AM

Wow - Chuck really is a master of inlay isn't he? That is just gorgeous. Congrats! And kudos to your wife for her generosity and excellent taste in presents :)

dkcrown
12-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Beautiful Peter, as expected. Nice work Chuck.

Lexxy
12-31-2010, 07:50 AM

Just..Magnificent..

greyghost
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/CheapGearKing/IMG_2576.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/CheapGearKing/IMG_2578.jpg
My Kala KA-TEM! It's gorgeous, and it sounds great! The pictures all over the web at various shopping sites look very orange--mine is much darker, a nice deep brown, and the quilting is quite 3-dimensional from certain angles. This is my first "real" ukulele. I started last September with a Rogue Baritone, and quickly realized I needed to try a proper-tuning uke. Thanks to you guys, I'm hooked, and my wife graciously asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and then consented to the purchase. I've been playing guitars and basses for over 3 decades, but I think I've finally (at age 46) found my instrument.

OldePhart
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been playing guitars and basses for over 3 decades, but I think I've finally (at age 46) found my instrument.

Heh, heh. Know the feeling. I started on guitar (late, played stereo for the first thirtyahem years of my life), then moved to playing more bass then guitar, then found the uke and wouldn't mind if we could find a bass player for the band so I could just noodle around on my ukes. :)

Sweet looking uke, too!

John

Plainsong
01-03-2011, 01:50 AM
This Mainland is just a wonderful little uke. It's got its own vibe. It wants you to play it. The Eleuke is also tons of fun.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5316156990_5dceaed9e7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5316156990/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5316159056_992db13635_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5316159056/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5315565961_e0f28a98fd_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5315565961/)

MiG-19
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
This Mainland is just a wonderful little uke. It's got its own vibe. It wants you to play it. The Eleuke is also tons of fun.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5316156990_5dceaed9e7_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5316156990/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5316159056_992db13635_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5316159056/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5315565961_e0f28a98fd_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5315565961/)

Plainsong, your boat paddle uke rack looks great! Do you have any other pics of it?

MiG-19
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Christmas has been over for a couple of weeks, but I had a great ukulele Christmas. My twin boys got me the Ukulele Christmas song book, and my wife got me Jim Beloff's book, "The Ukulele, a Visual History". It's beautiful! Christmas comes every day around here, I just received in the mail my new Mainland Mango Concert, and I can't put it down.