Build Blog of Ukulele for my Nephew

Koa Soprano

Reaction score
I'm building a Soprano Ukulele for my Nephew. This was all posted on another forum and I am reposting it here. I started building November 2, 2010.

Here are the materials. The large block is Spanish Cedar and will be the neck and the neck & tail block. The two strips under it are the sides, then the top and bottom. These are AAAAA flamed Hawaiian Koa. The small piece is the headcap, also Koa, a pre-slotted African Ebony fingerboard and binding strips. I have some scrap Ebony I will use for a bridge, and Spruce for internal bracing.

33c0xmb.jpg

Here I am planing the sides down. The brass bench dog at the end keeps it in place.

345ipw7.jpg

This is how I gauge the thickness, I made this years ago when I made violins. I thicknessed them down to around .074".

2lazqw.jpg

Bending the sides here. One half is done. The sides soaked in water as the bending iron heated up, and I use a spritzer to add more water when needed. The form of the iron is my own custom design I had CNC'd from a solid block of aluminum at my work years ago. I designed it for violin rib bending but it worked okay for a uke.

2ngh2x2.jpg

Here they both are roughly trimmed. There are a few tiny cracks and a rather large one going half the width of one of the sides. I should be able to glue them up without issue. I stuck a wedge across the middle at this point and will leave it for a day or two to fully dry to the mold shape.

fmjibr.jpg

More work done this week. I planed down the top and back halves, they will be one piece, and a book-match of each other.

mj1cnr.jpg

The top is around .060" and the back closer to .064". The sides should have been thinner, but info about ukulele construction seems to be hard to find on the net.

25a2b1z.jpg

Here are all the Koa shavings from the sides, top & back. This is a 5 gallon pail.

2w6ds2o.jpg

Fixing the cracks on the sides.

5zhcfd.jpg

Making the neck & tailblocks from Spanish Cedar. The end grain is on the sides of the blocks so I am not gluing to it.

huee6e.jpg

I used a blockplane in a vise to rough shape the blocks, then sanded them with a piece of sandpaper held in the mold to get the exact shape. Here they are all trimmed and glued. The instrument begins to take shape.

11mcjnm.jpg

This is a sanding board I made to level the top and back surfaces. Note the black strip of wood at the bottom, this raises the end giving a slight curve to the surface. I wedge it in more to curve the back surfaces even more.

2i9ktwy.jpg

Here are the linings cut and ready for bending, made from Sitka Spruce.

24x1642.jpg

Bent on the iron like the sides after soaking, then clamped in the mold overnight to fully dry.

2zzrsar.jpg

And finally gluing begins.

mm91xk.jpg

I trimmed the linings with a knife then sanded them smooth a sanded the inside of the sides and blocks smooth.

15zk32b.jpg

I also added my trademark stamp to the neckblock as I have done on other instruments.

2cru9f6.jpg

Back braces roughed out, made from Sitka Spruce.

oiboqq.jpg

Here I am adding a curve to them to help give the back a slight bowl shape in addition to what was sanded into the frame itself.

33o00o9.jpg

Here they are clamped, using lead for weight.

15xvl93.jpg

Shaped.

bfrpl.jpg

Here I have notched the side assembly for the braces. This makes it much less likely a brace will pop loose under force if the end is tucked under the lining and side.

xmo9zr.jpg

This is a clamping fixture I quickly made. Typically a "go-bar deck" is used to glue the back and top to the frame, as well as braces too, but I didn't want to make one as this is a one-off. My thinking was the soft plastic hose would give enough to yield an even clamping pressure.

23muets.jpg

Clamped with lead again.

jza1kj.jpg

33eor3r.jpg

Here it is with all the glue squeeze out removed and everything nicely sanded.

2uid7oh.jpg

Now to the top. After cutting it out I glue on the rosette backer, also made from Sitka Spruce.

t06p05.jpg

Here is the rosette slot cut.

20fepox.jpg

This will be the rosette, it is from a strip of Ebony. I will also be using Ebony for the binding on the body.

685z02.jpg

2j0xnxe.jpg

After gluing it got trimmed, a few areas will also need to be filled with Ebony sawdust and superglue.

xdw61c.jpg

I then cutout the soundhole, now it's really starting to look like a uke.

15cinsy.jpg

Here are the roughed braces for the top, also Spruce. The bottom piece is the bridge plate and it sits under the bridge. The brace next to it will also get the slight curve like the back braces, and the top will be left flat.

4kck6d.jpg

I glued the two upper braces first, here the bridge plate is being glued.

2cnv4mq.jpg

And after that everything got nicely trimmed.

105vel2.jpg

Once again I cut the slots in the frame for the braces. Prior to this I resanded the top gluing surface of the frame on the sanding board with a slight wedge on one end to give a curve near the tailblock.

16ll4rq.jpg

And finally the top gets glued into place. Due to the curve both the back and, to a lesser extent, the top have I couldn't just clamp the top on the same way I did the back. I pulled out a set of clamps I made for gluing up violin bodies and they seemed to work quite well.

260etk2.jpg

First I start by making a binding cutting jig for my router table. My original is long gone so I made this up. I start by making a flush cut to trim the excess of the top and back overhang.

biszdg.jpg

After trimming I then sanded with blocks and dowels to get the sides nice and smooth and flat, and sand out a few problem areas.

33jk115.jpg

Then I switched the bearing on the router bit for one that is 1/8" smaller than the diameter of the cutter, giving a 1/16" binding channel depth, and adjusted the jig.

m8ik2q.jpg

Here the binding channels are cut into the top and back edges, as well as a filler slot on the bottom, which was cut with a saw.

2rny1zd.jpg

2wchf5w.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention while doing a cleanup pass on the channels and the bit grabbed the top and did this.

i1mmwi.jpg

Here I am attempting to graft a cutoff into the area.

28ajb0m.jpg

The result, not too pretty. The ruler is in place of the fingerboard.

72gfps.jpg

After that I bent the Ebony binding.

34imxd3.jpg

While that set I glued in the filler piece on the bottom.

f3aznl.jpg

Here the binding is clamped with a crap load of tape.

eiuvrb.jpg

The results. They are oversized in both thickness and height so next will be trimming them. I think a contrasting binding adds alot to the look of an instrument.

vi3afc.jpg

2ecke21.jpg

Here is the Ebony binding trimmed flush. I once again used the router and jig with the flush trim bearing I started with as the grain orientation of the Ebony allowed me to do so. Lots of sanding still required after however.

ezjq74.jpg

2dv4evr.jpg

Next I started on the neck. A big block of Spanish Cedar with crappy grain orientation. These are advertised as "quartered" which looks like this "||||" in a board but it came rift sawn which looks like "////". The grain also goes on a slight angle along the length of the board, highlighted in my picture by pencil lines.

28w0wfq.jpg

This is what I had to do to get one usable soprano sized neck, even though these are advertised as enough for two tenors.

2e5ntiw.jpg

After that I spent a bunch of time designing my headstock. It's based on one I designed years ago for a couple ukes I made but I never kept a copy of it so I had to go by memory. I also made some scanned copies.

wwamtt.jpg

Here I planed the fingerboard gluing surface and a squared side for cutting, as well as rough cut the headstock face to 15 degrees.

2e3wjdt.jpg

Finally I thinned down the Flamed Koa headstock overlay to 1/16". I also sanded it extremely smooth as tomorrow I hope to laser engrave my logo in it at work.

2mw8bys.jpg

So here is the laser engraved headplate. It's my name in Hawaiian. I did a few test pieces and filled one with Ebony sawdust and superglue then sanded it but prefer this look. The label will be dedicated to my Nephew.

359l7qf.jpg

I then planed the rough cut 15 degree heastock portion of the neck, marked out the centers and relief cut the back area for clamps and glued it on.

w5tf9.jpg

29pq4jn.jpg

Next I began work on the fingerboard. Here I setup my straight edge in my vise to cut the edges square.

b6wrnq.jpg

Here it is trimmed. It is pre-slotted for a 13.5" scale length. I have slotted my own boards in the past but didn't want to bother this time.

339m0qb.jpg

Here I am aligning the neck for fitting. I forget how I did this on past ukes so I hope it works. I placed the body on the neck where it will sit and traced it's profile.

ay994i.jpg

Then I cut it out and cut away most of what will not be present in the finished neck.

f6f61.jpg

This is how I fitted it. 60 grit sandpaper taped to the body and I carefully, with small forward and back movements, sanded the end of the neck to a tight fit with the body while checking for alignment constantly.

2s7ied4.jpg

Next I cut out the side profile of the neck.

348qdso.jpg

Notice the nice straight quartersawn grain, all that work with the neck blank paid off.

tah8qb.jpg

Here I am planing the back of the headstock to it's final thickness of 7/16". There are easier and faster ways of doing this but I enjoy using handtools.

a27low.jpg

I finished it off with a sanding block and checked on my thickness gauge I earlier used for the top, back and sides.

w70yfl.jpg

Next was gluing the fingerboard. I learned this tip of using alignment pins in the fret slots from a luthier I worked for years ago. Takes all the aggravation out of something very important sliding around on the glue. The holes will be touched up later.

2yzk3f4.jpg

And finally clamped.

2i9jpli.jpg

Next I layed out the headstock profile and drilled the tuning peg holes. I drilled a hole on the waste area to test fit the tuner bushing as shown.

2cf5to6.jpg

I then marked and drilled for the inlays. The side dots will be solid white plastic and the front dots are abalone.

rh0q61.jpg

I then cut out the neck and headstock profiles. The neck profile is cut on a slight angle toward the back. It's based on the width of the toe, the end point of the neck at the base where it attaches to the body. I am making it half the width of the fingerboard at the body which is 1-3/4", so in this case it's 7/8" wide and 7/8" deep. It's shape will be an arc, the same arc I used for the back of the heel and the base of the headstock.

2ni4pdy.jpg

33jrbx1.jpg

Here is the headstock's profile planed and rasp'd smooth.

fp9ems.jpg

Now I am shaping the back of the neck. I start by nocking off the corners, then I take the side profile down to meet up with the fingerboard. I then make a couple facet type cuts and blend it all together.

29575z5.jpg

14sfev7.jpg

At this point I realized I haven't finished the toe cap so I stopped to trim down the toe area and glue it on.

j7qdch.jpg

That's it for now, I will post an update probably tomorrow with the neck shaping finished, neck glued on and fret work done as well as work on the bridge.

Top Bottom