PDA

View Full Version : Choices, Choices!

Mim
12-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, I am a ukulele dealer... but I RARELY let myself keep one. I have 4. One was the result of a fortunate trade. But now, I have UAS bad!

I got some Prototype Acoustic Eleukes in... sight unseen. I had no clue what I was getting. And I have been aching for a Soprano or Low G Tenor for a long time!

The problem is... I am in love with more than one! I did not know they would be this beautiful! And I love them all! But am having decision issues. I have norrowed it down to 3! All 3 have a passive pickup system. If I am to keep a ukulele, I would love for it to be one of these Eleukes because I am irrovocably and completely in love with Eleuke in every way.

Left to right:

Soprano Spruce Top/ Rosewood
Tenor Cedar Top/ Rosewood
Soprano All Solid Mahogany with In-lay

So here they are:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r17/AudraFelix/IMG_0997.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r17/AudraFelix/IMG_0995.jpg

Sort of leaning toward the soprano mahogany. I am in love with the inlay which is basically the Eleuke logo 4 times over. I just usually dont go for ukes this snazzy... basically because I am clutsy and my poor Kala has so many finish nicks. But I would probably baby this one more.

brucemoffatt
12-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Ooops my post disappeared, I must have clicked 'cancel' by mistake.

We'd all like to help you with this but first you have to post some vids of you playing them. Something more than a quick ten second burst. Maybe a little tune on each one showing off the things each one is best for.

Bruce in Adelaide

mds725
12-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I agree with Bruce. Videos will add the component of sound to the decision process. Without videos, based only on what they are and look like, I'd recommend the mahogany soprano because (1) I get the feeling you want a soprano more than you want a low G tenor (I gather you already have a tenor but no soprano), if you could only pick one; and (2) of the two sopranos, I would prefer the mahogany, not so much for the inlay but for the wood type -- if I were getting a soprano uke, I'd want the most traditional sound I could find, and I think you're more likely to get that from a mahogany than from a spruce top. My only concert ukulele is solid mahogany for this reason.

Not to hijack your thread, but since you're seeking advice I'm hoping you have a moment to give some. So if I were to buy an eleuke from you, which one of these two types would you recommend:

Mahogany 100 series tenor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIM-Eleuke-Tenor-Mahogany-100-Series-Ukulele-B-stock-/170574912296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b70e9b28

Black or blue 100 series tenor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIM-Eleuke-Tenor-100-Series-Metallic-Blue-Ukulele-/170573620829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b6fae65d

Or perhaps you would recommend something else? I guess my question comes down to: Is solid mahogany in a solid body electric uukulele worth the extra money it costs? Does solid mahogany affect the sound of the uke, the feel, the playability? Any other thoughts?

brucemoffatt
12-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Is solid mahogany in a solid body electric uukulele worth the extra money it costs? Does solid mahogany affect the sound of the uke, the feel, the playability? Any other thoughts?

Well, it affects the mojo, and that's 50% of the equation. If it feels right, looks right and sounds right, you'll play your best with it. If you spend your time wondering if it would have sounded better in a solid mahogany rather than the rosewood, you'll play down to what you expect the rosewood would sound like.

Hijacking your hijacking, I prefer the rosewood, but that's because I've got one on order and that's what I selected as my personal eleuke. It may arrive tomorrow. It will be the best sounding eleuke that I'll have played (guess why) and I'll play the heck out of it, the best I can and could. So it sounds like mahogany might do that for you.

Anyways I should stop hijacking your hijack, Mim will have something sensible to add. :)

Bruce in Adelaide

Plainsong
12-25-2010, 09:17 PM
If I was shopping for this type of uke, even though I don't like too much bling, I'd gravitate to the mahogany. But it's more what calls out to you most. What does the little voice in your head say?

Chris Tarman
12-25-2010, 09:27 PM
The mahogany soprano. No question. I don't usually like that much bling either (although if a Martin 5K fell into my lap, I wouldn't mind THAT bling!), but I love mahogany sopranos. Of course, I've never owned a spruce topped uke before. In my collection, my three favorites are all mahogany: my 2 vintage Martins and my Mainland soprano. I likes me some mahogany! I'm thinking of having a custom soprano made in 2011, and it will most likely be mahogany. Get the mahogany!

Lexxy
12-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Another vote for the Mahogany Soprano!

kissing
12-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Mahogany Soprano!
The tree-of-life inlay did it for me. It's the best kind of fretboard inlay IMO :)

guitharsis
12-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Mahogany soprano. :) Love it. Don't usually like too much bling either but that one is really nice.

mm stan
12-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Aloha Mim,
Good Morning, I hope you're having a wonderful morning after Christmas...My choice is the warmer Mahogany anytime before asthetics....Gee you're sooo lucky!!! MM Stan...

ytmr
12-26-2010, 01:10 AM
personally, I don't really fancy so much bling on my uke, but I guess Mahogany's a better choice? :D

gtpenc
12-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Well I'm going to go against the grain a little. I'd personally go for the cedar top tenor with low-g. I love cedar combined with hard woods like rosewood or walnut. But... the soprano is cool too. I wouldn't worry about the bling on the inlay. Look, you run a uke shop, play all the time, sing well, and above all else enjoy ukuleles. If anyone deserves a little bling on their uke it's you. And as for as worrying about putting marks on it my theory is this, ukes are meant to be played. You take care of it as best you can, but if playing it puts a mark or two on it let it go. Why buy a Mercedes just to park it in the garage?

fitncrafty
12-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Yes, I am a ukulele dealer... but I RARELY let myself keep one. I have 4. One was the result of a fortunate trade. But now, I have UAS bad!

I got some Prototype Acoustic Eleukes in... sight unseen. I had no clue what I was getting. And I have been aching for a Soprano or Low G Tenor for a long time!

The problem is... I am in love with more than one! I did not know they would be this beautiful! And I love them all! But am having decision issues. I have norrowed it down to 3! All 3 have a passive pickup system. If I am to keep a ukulele, I would love for it to be one of these Eleukes because I am irrovocably and completely in love with Eleuke in every way.

Left to right:

Soprano Spruce Top/ Rosewood
Tenor Cedar Top/ Rosewood
Soprano All Solid Mahogany with In-lay

So here they are:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r17/AudraFelix/IMG_0997.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r17/AudraFelix/IMG_0995.jpg

Sort of leaning toward the soprano mahogany. I am in love with the inlay which is basically the Eleuke logo 4 times over. I just usually dont go for ukes this snazzy... basically because I am clutsy and my poor Kala has so many finish nicks. But I would probably baby this one more.

I can understand why you can not decide.. beautiful ukuleles... sopranos are not my favorite and I have never played a tenor, if you love sopranos I would go for the mahogany one otherwise jump all over that tenor.. it's gorgeous!!

13jparker
12-26-2010, 04:07 AM
Tenor Cedar, for sure. =]

Mim
12-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Or perhaps you would recommend something else? I guess my question comes down to: Is solid mahogany in a solid body electric uukulele worth the extra money it costs? Does solid mahogany affect the sound of the uke, the feel, the playability? Any other thoughts?

Ok, this is always a tricky one. I think it comes down more to personal style and taste more than sound. Since it is an under-saddle Piezo pickup a lot of the sound is in the saddle and I have had customers switch up the saddle to achieve different sound. The theory is more wood, more sound. I have a Line 6 amp and I think the amp has a lot to do with it. I have plugged in concerts vs. tenors and not heard any difference. I need to do a mahogany vs. 100 series models... maybe I will tomorrow when I get to work and I will report back here :). The differences I see between the two are

#1 Feel

The solid mahogany is heavier. Not a huge difference, but it is there. Personally I like that in a solid body uke. Especially since I use a strap. But you may like the lighter. Personal preference.

#2 Bragging rights

Most of us our guilty of this to a point. Being able to say "This is a SOLID mahogany Eleuke". I am sort of that way. Ha! My Eleuke is a Solid Mahogany Soprano... so of course I throw out the SOLID! Because for awhile it was the only solid anything I had! Well, now I still dont... but will soon!

#3 Looks

The mahoganies each have a different look, and a different grain, and look a but more classic and natural. If that is your thing, then I would go for it! Some people just love the looks of the blue, or the black metallic, or the rosewood. I sort of am in love the with Black Metallic... it is the mullet of Eleukes... from a distance it looks sleek, shiney, and all business. Up close the metallic pops and is very rock n' roll.

#4 Price

I mean, sometimes it just is not worth the extra $60-$70 for you. I find people who like the natural look, but dont want to spend the extra $$ opt for the Rosewood! Then I always seem to have a few B-stocks if you want something even less!

Tomorrow:
I will do a sound comparison of the Mahogany and the 100 series Tenor. I have never heard a difference, but I never went back in forth between those 2 specifically!

ukejoelele
12-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Hey, nice ukes I'm quite new to the game- didnt realise elukes sold hollow body ones aswell! My choice would be the mahogany soprano also, but didnt the film 'Scarface' warn of the dangers of dealers getting a taste of their products lol? be careful you could end up with you smothing your face in a pile of elukes soon! ;)

Mim
12-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Hey, nice ukes I'm quite new to the game- didnt realise elukes sold hollow body ones aswell! My choice would be the mahogany soprano also, but didnt the film 'Scarface' warn of the dangers of dealers getting a taste of their products lol? be careful you could end up with you smothing your face in a pile of elukes soon! ;)

These are prototypes that never got mass produced. So there are only a few in existence of each. They do make a hollowbody now as well. It is either laminate mahogany or spruce. They have the MP3 input and headphone output like the solid bodies. They have an offset sound hole as well. The buzz is they are going to introduce these with A LOT of different exotic woods at NAMM. I can not wait to see and play them!

Here is the eleuke.com web site link to the acoustics:
http://www.eleuke.com/acoustic_electric_2010_catalog.pdf

Every once in awhile the eleuke.com site as opposed to the eleukeusa.com site will have some models that will be hitting America soon.

Chris Tarman
12-26-2010, 06:23 AM
These are prototypes that never got mass produced. So there are only a few in existence of each. They do make a hollowbody now as well. It is either laminate mahogany or spruce. They have the MP3 input and headphone output like the solid bodies. They have an offset sound hole as well. The buzz is they are going to introduce these with A LOT of different exotic woods at NAMM. I can not wait to see and play them!

Here is the eleuke.com web site link to the acoustics:
http://www.eleuke.com/acoustic_electric_2010_catalog.pdf

Every once in awhile the eleuke.com site as opposed to the eleukeusa.com site will have some models that will be hitting America soon.

Wow! They make a LOT of acoustic models! That ebony-topped one is pretty slick!

Mim
12-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Wow! They make a LOT of acoustic models! That ebony-topped one is pretty slick!

They are not out yet to purchase, but they will be. Me and Tim from Ukeeku and Sally Salukulady, will be at NAMM and will have a full report for you!

Lexxy
12-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Wow Mim! The Ash top seems pretty nice! and it comes with a slotted headstock as well! (Insanely shimmering wood)

ukejoelele
12-26-2010, 06:56 AM
I agree Lexxy- thats one purdy eluke :) just seen that they have no UK distributors at the moment :( although thats probably good for my UAS

guitharsis
12-26-2010, 07:09 AM
On second look, really like the tenor too. Keep 'em both? :)

Mim
12-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I agree Lexxy- thats one purdy eluke :) just seen that they have no UK distributors at the moment :( although thats probably good for my UAS

I have shipped to the UK... hehe! Let the UAS begin!

Lexxy
12-26-2010, 07:13 AM
On second look, really like the tenor too. Keep 'em both? :)

What the wise man here says, Mim shall follow :)

Mim
12-26-2010, 07:26 AM
What the wise man here says, Mim shall follow :)

Seriously soooo tempting. I love an all-solid mahogany soprano. It is a wonderful mellow great accomanying wood. But Cedar Rosewood combo is my favorite tonewood! But I do favor a soprano now. So I think I will have to keep the soprano and think about the tenor!

georgio
12-26-2010, 07:44 AM
That mahogany soprano is just stunning! That would be my choice.

fitncrafty
12-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Seriously soooo tempting. I love an all-solid mahogany soprano. It is a wonderful mellow great accomanying wood. But Cedar Rosewood combo is my favorite tonewood! But I do favor a soprano now. So I think I will have to keep the soprano and think about the tenor!

Hurry someone and buy that tenor and save Mim from all this agony she is in!! :)

Chris Tarman
12-26-2010, 07:47 AM
My ONLY gripe with the soprano (and this is minor) is that it has geared tuners. I have come to really really like friction tuners, and I think sopranos look better with them. Once I got used to using them, they have never bothered me at all, and I can tune my ukes as quickly and accurately with them as with geared tuners (I THINK, at least... I hope my ear isn't THAT bad!).

Mim
12-26-2010, 08:09 AM
My ONLY gripe with the soprano (and this is minor) is that it has geared tuners. I have come to really really like friction tuners, and I think sopranos look better with them. Once I got used to using them, they have never bothered me at all, and I can tune my ukes as quickly and accurately with them as with geared tuners (I THINK, at least... I hope my ear isn't THAT bad!).

Funny you mention it... the only thing I will change is possibly the tuners. I am a HUGE fan of silver over gold. So if I can get a silver button for the pickup, then I will change the tuners to something silver. I think silver would also accent the abalone quite nicely and bring out the silver tones in it. But I will probably have to stick to geared since there will be screw holes where the geared were. I seem to always have something I am tinkering with when it comes to my ukes.

Chris Tarman
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Funny you mention it... the only thing I will change is possibly the tuners. I am a HUGE fan of silver over gold. So if I can get a silver button for the pickup, then I will change the tuners to something silver. I think silver would also accent the abalone quite nicely and bring out the silver tones in it. But I will probably have to stick to geared since there will be screw holes where the geared were. I seem to always have something I am tinkering with when it comes to my ukes.

I think I have only ever owned ONE instrument with gold tuners. My Mainland Red Cedar pineapple. I think the gold looks really nice on that one (with black tuner buttons), but in general I much prefer silver. Oh! Wait... I just looked at the wall. I forgot about this one bass I have, which is a late '60s or early '70s fretless Univox violin-shaped thing (more a copy of the really early Gibson bass than a Hofner Beatle Bass). It has "gold" hardware. I can't remember the last time I played it, so I had forgotten about the gold. I did actually ALMOST take it to a gig with my country band last weekend though... Maybe I ought to do that soon. It's a nice sounding bass if you use it right. It sounds really "upright-y" if you roll the treble off totally.

OldePhart
12-26-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm glad I'm not alone. You can ask MGM (not sure if he'll remember, but, hey, you can ask him) I had a really hard time with the idea of paying $700+ for an ukulele with friction tuners. Fortunately, I overcame my reservations and bought the KoAloha concert (my first really good uke) anyway and since then I'm finding that I actually prefer them to geared tuners - it seems with geared tuners you are faced with either significantly more weight on the headstock or really cheap tuners that aren't as solid as the KoAloha friction pegs, and the friction pegs pointing straight out the back of the headstock give a nice clean appearance to the instrument.

On a tenor geared tuners aren't too bad - the body is large enough to counterbalance the weight - but I think on anything smaller I'd definitely prefer friction pegs over geared tuners.

John

elisdad
12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Mim, I say go with the Mahogany Soprano. It is really sharp and a little bling never hurt anyone.

mds725
12-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Mim, thanks for the extensive reply to my question about rosewood vs. Mahogany eleukes. I look forward to your sound tests. Do you ever get b stock tenors in black rosewood.

I agree with whoever said to keep both the mahogany soprano AND the tenor prototypes. :)

SweetWaterBlue
12-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Since I own 7 ukuleles of different types and construction, I am not a very good person to ask. If I could narrow it down to just one, that is probably all I would have. Fortunately, when I get to lusting after a new uke, its usually a specific size and type. That makes the choice easier. Before I got my Ohana sk35g, I wanted a mahogany soprano in the worst way. Before that, I had to have a Flea, and after that I wanted a baritone. Then, it was the spruce top tenor, and so it goes. For me, its more about the sound and style of playing I am in love with at that moment (I am very fickle with that it seems) than the bling but I do enjoy looking at other peoples pretty ukuleles. Good luck with your decision.

ukejoelele
12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I have shipped to the UK... hehe! Let the UAS begin!

Haha :) thats good/bad to know depending on how I look at it! What sort of price range are they? I'll have to start saving for the next one... (already got one uke on the way!)

harpdog
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
I've been jonesing for a cedar/rosewood tenor, so my choice is that one.

bbycrts
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Mim -

Clearly the spruce-topped rosewood soprano is getting no love here. I think you should go ahead and just send it to me. I promise I will love it. Hopefully you still have my address on file. I can't wait to get it!

Thanks!

Mim
12-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Mim -

Clearly the spruce-topped rosewood soprano is getting no love here. I think you should go ahead and just send it to me. I promise I will love it. Hopefully you still have my address on file. I can't wait to get it!

Thanks!

BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!

You silly devil you!!!

bbycrts
12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!!

You silly devil you!!!

You have to give me credit for trying...

(That said...pm me more details about that spruce rosewood soprano - it's purty, and I'm not totally happy with the uke I keep at work...)