Tron: Legacy

Tron is like pizza. Even "meh" Tron is good Tron!

JJ

Was it yesterday, it was ok, not great but ok. The lightcycle's were the best part of the whole movie.

I enjoyed it, but it was strangely not that exciting to me. All through the chase scenes and whatnot I'm sitting there thinking, "Oh, that's cool, but of course [pick the relevant main character] is going to live, so I wonder what's next..." I usually have an easier time suspending disbelief. Maybe it was the 3-D that threw me. :)

I really liked the inclusion of a classic Tron machine in the arcade.

-Pete

SPOILER ALERT!

What bugged me about the film was that, at first, I thought they were trapped in the ENCOM servers again. But after reading the IMDB boards, they were just trapped in Kevin's basement computer (which was not updated since 1989). Why were the visuals so modern then? Shouldn't they have been a representation of 1989?

Why were the visuals so modern then? Shouldn't they have been a representation of 1989?

Well, first and foremost, it's a fantasy movie about a world that doesn't actually exist and therefore can't be wrong. The "inside" of a computer world be whatever they decide to make it. I mean, it's all a suspension of disbelief no matter how it looks, isn't it?

But if a sensible explanation is needed, I guess you could look at the first movie. The 1982 computer world didn't look at all like a representation of 1982, did it? It was waaay more futuristic than most of the computers of that day. (Nowadays you could make the whole movie on your iPhone, but back then no computer around could've created those visuals in real-time like that. It took ages to render just one frame.) So I don't see a problem with a 1989 computer world not looking like 1989. By established Tron universe rules, the inner computer world always looks more modern than the era the computers are from.

Second, it's plausible that a man of Flynn's wealth and genius would've been doing his research on a far more advanced computer in 1989 than anyone else had at the time.

Third, Flynn was inside the computer the whole time and is seen as having some amount of control over it and ability to program and create from within it.

Fourth, a big part of the movie was about the programs created by Flynn gaining a sort of self-sufficiency and evolving on their own into something more sophisticated than Flynn ever anticipated. So that would explain a lot of the modern visuals. The computer might have been sitting in the basement for 20 years, but the programs were evolving and growing the entire time.

Finally, we can assume that the computer world is seen as how it is perceived by the humans in it. It might not really "look" like any of that at all. It's just bit and bytes and flowing electrons in reality. What we see might just be how a digitized and dismantled human consciousness conceptualizes it, and is therefore transcends the entire question of what sort of graphical capabilities a computer would have.

JJ

Well, first and foremost, it's a fantasy movie about a world that doesn't actually exist and therefore can't be wrong. The "inside" of a computer world be whatever they decide to make it. I mean, it's all a suspension of disbelief no matter how it looks, isn't it?

But if a sensible explanation is needed, I guess you could look at the first movie. The 1982 computer world didn't look at all like a representation of 1982, did it? It was waaay more futuristic than most of the computers of that day. (Nowadays you could make the whole movie on your iPhone, but back then no computer around could've created those visuals in real-time like that. It took ages to render just one frame.) So I don't see a problem with a 1989 computer world not looking like 1989. By established Tron universe rules, the inner computer world always looks more modern than the era the computers are from.

Second, it's plausible that a man of Flynn's wealth and genius would've been doing his research on a far more advanced computer in 1989 than anyone else had at the time.

Third, Flynn was inside the computer the whole time and is seen as having some amount of control over it and ability to program and create from within it.

Fourth, a big part of the movie was about the programs created by Flynn gaining a sort of self-sufficiency and evolving on their own into something more sophisticated than Flynn ever anticipated. So that would explain a lot of the modern visuals. The computer might have been sitting in the basement for 20 years, but the programs were evolving and growing the entire time.

Finally, we can assume that the computer world is seen as how it is perceived by the humans in it. It might not really "look" like any of that at all. It's just bit and bytes and flowing electrons in reality. What we see might just be how a digitized and dismantled human consciousness conceptualizes it, and is therefore transcends the entire question of what sort of graphical capabilities a computer would have.

JJ

This.

Top Bottom