Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg cover)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
Hope you like my rendition of this great Dan Fogelberg song. I included the chords and lyrics in the info section of the video. It sounds better if you can sing it in a higher key, so transpose the chords if you wish.

Some info about the song from the Songfacts website:

As Fogelberg tells it on his official website, the song is totally autobiographical. He was visiting family back home in Peoria, Illinois in the mid-'70s when he ran into an old girlfriend at a convenience store. After Fogelberg's death from prostate cancer in 2007, the woman who he wrote the song about came forward with her story. Her name is Jill Greulich, and she and Fogelberg dated in high school when she was Jill Anderson. As she explained to the Peoria Journal Star in a December 22, 2007 article, they were part of the Woodruff High School class of 1969, but went to different colleges. After college, Jill got married and moved to Chicago, and Dan went to Colorado to pursue music. On Christmas Eve, they were each back in Peoria with their families when Jill went out for egg nog and Dan was dispatched to find whipping cream for Irish coffee. The only place open was a convenience store at the top of Abington Hill, at Frye Avenue and Prospect Road, and that's where they had their encounter. They bought a six pack of beer and drank it in her car for 2 hours while they talked. Five years later, Jill heard "Same Old Lang Syne" on the radio while driving to work, but she kept quiet about it, as Fogelberg also refused to reveal her identity. Her main concern was that coming forward would disrupt Fogelberg's marriage. Looking at the lyrics, Jill says there are 2 inaccuracies: She has green eyes, not blue, and her husband was not an architect - he was a physical education teacher, and it's unlikely Fogelberg knew his profession anyway. Regarding the line, "She would have liked to say she loved the man, but she didn't like to lie," Jill won't talk about it, but she had divorced her husband by the time the song was released.

Last edited:
Aloha John,
That was really nice and I like it very much....Thanks for sharing!! It was a nice story too!! Appriciate it very much!! I hope you had a wonderful christmas...I remember a japanese christmas song you did
last year I liked too.. Christmas Eve by Tatsuo Yamashita...it is awesome....wondered why you didn't do it this year....Take care and Keep Warm!! Your friend, Stan

Mahalo John, for covering this one. From the early 80's if I remember correctly. It's one of those songs you never really think about till it's played and you go "Oh Shoots!" Dan Fogelberg was a very talented musician and composer.

Thanks, Kanaka! Yeah, he wrote some classics like "Longer" and "Leader of the Band." So sad that he died young.

Funny, I was working on a Beatles song, then somehow this song came to mind and I thought, "Wow, I gotta do 'um before someone else does it!" Ha ha!

That is one of my very favorite holiday songs, and you did a great job with it :). The story behind it was really interesting, too.

Wow, thanks for sharing the story about Dan and Jill. I had no idea it was autobiographical, I just thought it was a nice song. You played and sang it beautifully. The end always chokes me a little.

Thanks Dom, Redheadedali, and Bruce! Yeah, I like that last line where the snow turns into rain. Nice way to end the song...

You are awesome, this song always makes me sad and you did it so well. The story behind the song is a bonus.
Thanks, DAP

Thanks, DAP and Tsunami! Really appreciate it!

Great rendition of an old and classic New Year's favorite. And thanks for the story behind the song, too. I think both the song and the story resonate with all of us who expected to, but didn't, marry our high school (or college) sweethearts.

Oh, and thanks for posting the lyrics and chords, for those of us who may want to play this song on New Year's Eve....

Last edited:
Thanks, mds725! I guess many of us look back at past relationships with nostalgia and wonder what might have been...

Thanks, Chris! Same here! Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

10 hours to 2012 here in Japan. Thought I'd bump this to wish you all a Happy New Year!

I'm currently recruiting participants for a mega-ukulele collaboration, so please let me know if you're interested!

Mahalos fo da bump . . . Hau`oli Makahiki Hou to da ohana and wishing everyone at UU a great year to come.

Thanks for bumping. I missed it the first time. A great song very very well done. Happy New Year to you, and to all UU'ers.

Top Bottom