Low G tuning and chords

johntz

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

I am pushing forward practicing daily with my Uke. I am g\having a ball.

I have a question that I have tried searching for the answer and couldn't find anything. Please forgive me if it is trivial. This is my first instrument and I am new to music theory.

My Uke is setup with a low G. Does that make a difference in the chords? I am learning chords via several beginners books and wanted to ensure that the chord shapes are similar with a Low G as well. Also how about any differences between the two when it comes to the songs? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Welcome Johntz, the chords are the same in high G and low g, a G is a g is a G it's the same note just an octave apart. There is a difference in the sound since low g is an octave below high G but in strumming it's not to noticable, it does make quite a difference when fingerpicking a melody though.

As others have mentioned, you finger the chords exactly the same way - you will simply get a different "inversion" of the chord (something to worry about if you ever get interested in theory).

The short answer, though, is that because you get different inversions two of you you will get a much fuller sound when you happen to be playing with someone with a reentrant tuned uke -- i.e. you are both playing the same chord but playing slightly different version of it so the fact that two instruments are in play is a little more obvious (and that's a good thing, usually, in fact they make chorus pedals with much the same goal in mind).

John

Thank you very much for the replies. I really appreciate the help.

Top Bottom