Help me in choosing my first uke :D?

kathmustdie

Reaction score
Hello there!

i just got into this obsession in playing the uke after watching one of Eddie Vedders acoustic live sets. However i am not able to decide which one i would want to go for. I am currently torn apart between two choices

These are the ones:

Applause UAE-20 E

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfr...icElectric-Deluxe-Soprano-Ukulele-?sku=516727

&

Lanikai LU-21TE

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfr...Electric-Ukulele?sku=502790&rec=product_sim_A

Been reading on them for almost 2 days and i pretty much can't decide what i want. Both are acoustic-electrics in their own might. I like the soprano look of the Applause and the "cute" form factor but the Lanikai LU-21TE has better electronics in my opinion and plays fantastically, however the tenor size doesn't really appeal me since its a tad too big.

Which one do i choose? Hope you guys can help :D

Nope i never held an uke in my life , or the applause .. i live in a country where they aren't commercially available. So yea , i would be ordering through e-bay

Welcome Kathmustdie, If you can definately try playing them side by side and see which feels best for you. The size difference really isn't as much as it may seem. I started on a tenor and still regularly play them but have ukes in each size and have kind of settled in on concert as my all around favorite size. I haven't played an Applause so can't comment on them, but I have several Lanikai's and they are well made very nice playing ukes. I would also recommend for you first uke, getting from a dealer who sets them up properly with good strings. I particularly like Musiguymic and Mim, on eBay, they are both members here and will make sure you get a uke that plays well from the beginning. Give them a call or email. I've bought ukes from both of them and their customer service is great.

Last edited:
Concert is my favorite size, too though I also play tenor almost as often. The size difference isn't as great as it seems, and the tenor usually has a few more frets for "advanced" picking when you get there.

I've never had an Applause but, being Ovation's "import" brand, I don't think I'd buy one sight unseen except from a reputable uke expert who will set it up properly (MGM, Mim, others on here who come highly recommended).

The same goes for the Lanikai LU-21-TE, BTW. Almost anything in this price range is kind of a crap-shoot if not set up by someone who knows what they're doing - you might get a great one or maybe one with a pretty bad action. I own three Lanikai's, BTW (well, technically, I own two and my granddaughter owns one). The Lanikai LU-21C was my first uke and was a good value for the price but quite poorly set up. Fortunately, I've been playing guitar long enough that I have purchased a complete set of nut files and a fret dressing file so I can take care of issues like that. My other Lanikai is the LU-8E - 8 string electric - and it came straight "off the boat" with the best setup I've ever seen on a factory instrument in this price range. Like I said, it's a crap shoot! The third uke is my granddaughters LU-11 and I bought it from MGM because, even though I have the files and can do a very good setup - it's tedious and not something I enjoy - if guys like MGM are willing to do a perfect setup for next to nothing - I say let 'em! LOL

John

John

Top Bottom