Ukulele Warped: Binding Cracked/Split in three areas –Any glue suggestions?

ukalea

Reaction score
There are three cracks in my ukulele, the binding crack on the back is about 1.5 inches long, the front body crack is about ½ long, and there is another one about to split in the back. I want to repair it myself. What type of glue should I use that would not damage my solid mahogany uke? How can I prevent more cracks from forming besides using humidifiers?

I can answer the last one - about the only thing that is going to keep a uke from cracking further is keeping it humidified! Beyond that, merely the obvious, don't leave it in your car in hot (or very cold) weather - avoid sudden drastic changes in temperature. For example, if you've been traveling and you uke is very, very cold, do not open the case for an hour or so after entering a warm house.

YOu don't mention what kind of uke. There are some kind of "off-brand" ukes that were made with solid wood but the wood wasn't properly seasoned - those will almost always crack and there isn't much you can do about it but maybe keeping it really, really, well humidified.

On the other hand, "warped" sounds almost like it may have been water damaged?

Hard to give a meaningful answer without pictures...

John

You should always use hide glue or some glue that will soften with heat. A future luthier may have to get in there or take it apart someday and if you use regular wood glue he will have to destroy it to get it apart. You can get hide glue in a can from Stewart-MacDonald. I once found Franklin Hide Glue in a bottle, already liquid, but this didn't stick that well (I put on a guitar bridge with it and it came off one summer).

If it is just binding, and cosmetic, you might get by with a little contact cement. This is the kind that's rubbery - you coat both surfaces and let dry, then stick them together. This bond can be pulled off by hand, although you MIGHT get a little damage, it's not like wood glue. You will be cursed by the future luthier though.

clayton56, I will check out the hide glue you suggested. The cracks are located in the binding. Is the hot hide glue safe for solid mahogany wood and tortoise shell binding?

"I once found Franklin Hide Glue in a bottle, already liquid, but this didn't stick that well (I put on a guitar bridge with it and it came off one summer)."

Since the Franklin Hide Glue didn't work when you tried to glue the bridge, do you think it would stick the binding together to seal the cracks for my uke?

Top Bottom