"Tappy's Blues", an Original Improvisation

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
This afternoon I was listening to Bill Tapia's great live album, which he recorded at the unbelievable age of 101. I grabbed my uke and started improvising leads over the CD, and then I realized that he turns 103 next week. So I "composed" a chord progression and recorded the ukulele backing track using GarageBand. Then, using my weird old Univox short-scale fretless violin bass (strung with flatwound LaBella black nylon strings), I did a VERY spontaneous and unrehearsed bass part. That bass sounds surprisingly like an upright, but I don't use it live much. I might have to rethink that, after hearing the tone on this recording.
Anyway, then I played the GarageBand tracks while I improvised leads over them.
This is your chance to hear me play my "real" instrument (bass), keeping in mind that I've never been much of a jazz player. There are a few glitches, but it gives it that intimate "three guys jamming for the first time" feel, even though it was only ONE guy jamming!

Hopefully you enjoy it!

I liked it a lot, and the bass sounded WAY cool like an upright. Nice job with the multitracking, too.
Thanks!

I liked it a lot, and the bass sounded WAY cool like an upright. Nice job with the multitracking, too.
Thanks!

Thanks Cletus. The funny thing about that bass is that I've always thought it sounded like CRAP live. I used it a couple of times in the jazz band I used to play with, and those guys LOVED it. It only sounds good if you totally roll off the treble and play at the base of the neck. It's a short scale, so the notes aren't where my fingers expect them to be. It's butt-ugly... but I have to admit, it sounded really great on this recording. I just might take it to some gigs soon.

Sounded good to my ears, Chris! Nice improvisation... listened to it a few times now :)

I've recently been getting into jazz a little bit. I'm finding it's not one of the most "accessible" genres to really appreciate but I've came across a few records that I love so far. Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz, Ramsey Lewis and Miles Davis of course and recently I've been enjoying Billy Cobham and Jimmy Scott.

I may just check out Bill Tapia some time, too.

Thanks, Chris. That has the vintage MoJo going for it. I like the fretless, too. One of my basses is a G&L L-2000 fretless.
Bill

Because this is fretless AND short-scale, I have used it very little in the 13 or 14 years I've had it. It is a superb reggae bass though! If you roll the treble off it is ALL low-end rumble. I don't play reggae much, but was once in a band that messed around with it some. It was kind of funny... once we figured out how to actually do reggae, then for a week or so, EVERYTHING we played came out as reggae. It was kind of fun, but also kind of scary!
Anyway... I love the sound of fretless bass, and a couple of years ago I got a cheap Squier modeled after Jaco Pastorius' "Bass of Doom". It sounds great, but the action has gotten higher and higher, and I've exhausted my neck-adjusting abilities. I keep meaning to take it in to a shop for a set-up, but the closest place that I would trust is an hour away. The Fender Jazz Bass is my preferred style, so I'm much more comfortable on that one (except for the stupid action!). It doesn't sound as "upright-y" as this Univox though. It does have a pretty convincing Jaco tone, however!

Aloha Chris,
Uncle Bill's playing is extrodinary and I should get his newest CD...I only got his older one...and you're right he's 103, I didn't realize that..I went to you tube
to check him out and he can still jam...I found where I was raised, he grew up many decades before me....and a few years back bought a place back here...again.
I think you did a wonderful job and i listened it for several times and enjoyed it....thanks for sharing buddy, and you have a wonderful New Year!!! MM Stan

Cool Chris, nice old timey feel. You always play so well. I love the multi-tracking. Thanks for sharing,
DAP

Top Bottom