Back to searching for a banjo uke...

Papa Tom

Reaction score
OK, I've been thinking a lot about how I was going to save up all my Amazon gift cards to eventually buy a banjo uke and how the only decent banjo uke that Amazon sells is the Gold Tone, which is WAY more than I want to spend, given that I'm only in this for fun and don't need a three or four hundred dollar instrument.

So now I'm looking at the Rally banjo ukes that are all over eBay and thinking $175 is more practical for me. However, I don't know a whole lot about them. I want an open-back with a plastic head.

Can anybody share their feelings about their Rally banjo uke?

No Rally uke for me, but I posted an ad on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago that I was looking to buy a banjo uke. I wasn't expecting much of a response, but I got a nice rare Stromberg Voisinet for $200. I love it! Give it a shot and see what pans out for you.

I have played the morgan monroe one and it is nice, but the Mainland ones, Thant should be in any day now, are really nice and they will be very inexpensive. Just a heads-up

I'll second Mainland. I haven't played one, but the quality of their ukes is just SO great and the price point is within $11 of what you want to spend. If you want to go with a new instrument, I can't think of a better choice. I personally haven't enjoyed playing the Morgan Monroe, Gold Tone or Rally.

>>>>I'll second Mainland. I haven't played one, but the quality of their ukes is just SO great<<<<<

I've been waiting and waiting for the Mainland, but it doesn't seem to materialize. Also, quite frankly, the demo video on YouTube that everyone points me too is not all that impressive. However, I'd love to buy that instrument mostly because of this group's general fondness for the company and its owner. They do not seem poised to sell via Amazon, though, which means I have to come up with the cash on my own. These should be my worst problems, I guess. (cont'd)

>>>I personally haven't enjoyed playing the Morgan Monroe, Gold Tone or Rally.<<<<

jnoboanchi: What, specifically, about the Gold Tone and Rally didn't you like? Keep in mind that I'm an "OK" player with a drummer's feel for rhythm, but I'm no uke or banjo virtuoso!

>>>I've been waiting and waiting for the Mainland, but it doesn't seem to materialize.<<<<

Hmmm. Right after I sent that last post, I checked Mainland's site and saw that banjo ukes are now available from them. However, the price is $285 and I'd suppose shipping is about another $50-60. If I'm going to pay that much, I might as well pay $315 for the open-back Gold Tone, which seems to be a more tried and true model. Now I'm REALLY confused again, as I thought the Mainlands were going to be more in the price range of the $175 Rally models.

If you are intrerested in vintage banjo ukes, this guy on eBay is the one I bought my 1920's Loreley from. I should have it tomorrow, but he great with answering emails and questions:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ehonu/

Most of the ones he sells are advertised as setup. Mine is 80 years old, but he put on new friction tuners, strings, and replaced the old calfskin vellum with a synthetic one. He even gave me instructions on how to adjust the action at the bridge if I so decided.

Hope this helps!

John

Top Bottom