concert bass uke

farmerboy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about converting a concert uke into a bass uke using ashbory strings. Do you think this could work? I'm a bit worried about the additional tension on the neck, but otherwise don't really see what could go wrong. Am I mad?

The string tension shouldn't be an issue, as the tension on ashbory strings is low anyway and you're shortening the scale length which would mean you either go up to the resulting tuning for that length (think capo) or you lessen the tension to keep the tuning lower (think baritone uke).

What I would be concerned about is that the ashbory strings really are too wide for a ukulele neck/fingerboard/nut. You would end up with almost no space between the strings - not enough space to finger the strings properly on the fretboard and to allow them to vibrate feely at full amplitude.

Just my :2cents:

Thanks. Do you think the neck width on this one is wider? http://www.largesound.com/ashboryarticle/concept/ukulele/ This is where I got the idea (sorry it wasn't my own). I like the bari idea, but I guess that would have the same issue re: string length.

thanks for your reply. keep em coming, please. It's either this or I buy a cheap acoustic bass. I'd rather use the uke with our ukulele group, though and can't afford the u-bass.

I can't see there'd be any problems with string tension. I agree that neck width would probably be an issue though, as might be getting a useful tuning from a concert scale length, also action height, bass strings need more clearance than normal uke strings, and space for the tuners too.

I'm not familiar with the Ashbury strings but the Pahoehoe strings the u-bass uses are very thick. On my 'Me-Bass' http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38814-Bass-Ukulele I have a nut width of 43mm as opposed to the normal 35mm for a concert uke.

Having said all this, don't let me put you off trying it out. Nothing ventured ... etc.

Top Bottom