I need a new Koaloha model: Help!

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hello,
I already have a koaloha superconcert (with MI-SI pickup) and a soprano koaloha standart. In this moment I like the sound of koaloha soprano (I do not do many solos). I like the bright sound of the koa ukes. I already have mahogany ukes (Hamano tenor) but I don't like the warm sound.

What Koaloha uke should I buy now? I need one with MI-SI pickup (by MGM), but with a diferent tone:
options:
1. Koaloha pineapple soprano
2. Koaloha concert
3. Koaloha tenor

Go with a tenor.
String either your super concert or tenor with low g.
You will have two completely sounding ukes.
My super concert is my low g uke.

Looks like you already have a soprano and concert body. The logical choice would be to get a tenor body. I don't think I'd ever sell my KoAloha tenor unless someone offered me enough money for three of them b/c mine is so perfect...resonant, responsive, bright, and amazing...plus with a string-through crown bridge that is very difficult to find now.

Hmmm...it sounds like you are more interested in purchasing a new uke than in playing the KoAloha ukes that you have already mentioned you love. Therefore, I believe you should purchase a KoAloha tenor - and immediately send it to me. This will alleviate your severe case of UPS (Ukulele Purchasing Syndrome) while also aiding my UAS.

:biglaugh:

Seriously, though, you've already expressed a preference for your soprano over your concert, both of them are amazing ukes (I have a KoAloha concert) so why would you want to purchase another, especially in a size that you aren't excited about (tenor).

I know when I was starting out in guitar I used to buy new guitars every few months - and I always joked that I was looking for the guitar that would make me a better player. Curiously, when I actually finally bought a really good acoustic and a really good electric I discovered that I didn't need to buy guitars anymore! You have that same level of instrument in the KoAlohas you already have - why buy more?

John (donning fireproof suit) :)

Have you thought about a long neck soprano?

I guess, and please forgive me for this, I don't understand the idea of NEED here. You probably have one more ukulele than you NEED. Now you just want. So the logical choice is choose something you don't already have. Tenor, I guess. Maybe you should look into a Sceptre or a Pineapple Sunday. I'm not a huge KoAloha fan, but those are definitely different.

I think my superconcert sounds like a tenor uke

I play a Tangi koa Tenor a few days ago and it sounds like my koaloha superconcert in deep and warm. Of corse is not the same tone.
I love my soprano koaloha because I play chords very faster with this uke, and the strings have light tension. The concert koaloha is more closer of the soprano or the tenor in scale size and string tension?

I'm biased but how about a KoAloha longneck pineapple soprano?

I play a Tangi koa Tenor a few days ago and it sounds like my koaloha superconcert in deep and warm. Of corse is not the same tone.
I love my soprano koaloha because I play chords very faster with this uke, and the strings have light tension. The concert koaloha is more closer of the soprano or the tenor in scale size and string tension?

I'm not sure but I own a tenor sceptre, a pikake concert and a long neck soprano. My favorite is the concert for sentimental reasons but i do like to play the long neck soprano.
I don't really notice that big of a difference between the string tensions on my koalohas, maybe I should but it isn't that big of a difference. Of course all my koalohas had worth clears on it until I swapped out my sceptre with freemonts.

I just received a Ko'Aloha Pikake Concert with a satin finish from MGM, and it looks and sounds great. I have passed on many Ko'Ahohas in shops because of the "grainy" gloss finish, but Mike thought I would like the new Pikake and he was right. Nice, smooth, satin finish and the big sound of Ko'Aloha. It didn't hurt that it was in a red plush lined tweed case either. Exceptional quality package all around, and the price was right.

I just received a Ko'Aloha Pikake Concert with a satin finish from MGM, and it looks and sounds great. I have passed on many Ko'Ahohas in shops because of the "grainy" gloss finish, but Mike thought I would like the new Pikake and he was right. Nice, smooth, satin finish and the big sound of Ko'Aloha. It didn't hurt that it was in a red plush lined tweed case either. Exceptional quality package all around, and the price was right.

IMHO the Pikake concert is the best all around ukulele that KoAloha makes.

I guess, and please forgive me for this, I don't understand the idea of NEED here. You probably have one more ukulele than you NEED. Now you just want. So the logical choice is choose something you don't already have. Tenor, I guess. Maybe you should look into a Sceptre or a Pineapple Sunday. I'm not a huge KoAloha fan, but those are definitely different.

PINEAPPLE SUNDAY!

I had to shout that one. :)

YES! Must agree...

I'm joining the chorus. I would say a Pineapple Sunday or a Sceptre. They are both highly unique. And if at this point, some of the decision is based on collecting for you since you already have other great KoAlohas (and clearly are not lacking for a great uke to play), they are a nice addition to any uke collection.

Plus, from your post it stated you were looking for something with a particular tone, and a PS definitely has a unique voice to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom