Bar/Barre Chords

tripl3thr33

Reaction score
i've had my guitar for awhile now but have sorta stopped as of late. i'm having trouble with bar/barre chords. i have no problems putting pressure on the top and bottom strings but i often mute lots of others. i have my index finger rolled a lil to the side but i often find one of the strings sitting along one of the lines in my fingers where there isnt as much pressure. any help is appreciated. thanks!

Attachments

• 1051.jpg
    1051.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,731
  • 1052.jpg
    1052.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 956
  • 1053.jpg
    1053.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 959
  • 1054.jpg
    1054.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 958
I had the same problem when I first started. Something I remember helping was trying to hold the bar strings as close to the fret as possible. That way, the fret is helping you hold the string down as well.

with chords like Fm, since your middle finger isnt being used, you can use it to "help" hold down your index finger for the bar.

with chords like C, instead of using your middle/ring/pinky to hold down the 2nd/3rd/4th strings, try making a "mini bar" with your middle finger to hold down all three strings, and use your middle finger to "help" hold down your intex finger for the bar.

for chords like F and Cm, i would, as rayan stated, try to position your index finger acting as a bar as close to the fret as possible. the closer you get to it, the less pressure needed to hold the strings down cleanly (is "cleanly" a word?).

rolling your finger may also be posing a problem. proper form will eventually pay off. just keep at it till the sound cleans up. then once have the finger dexterity, you can try the "lazy" way to make chords. kinda like eric clapton does every now and then. i always wondered why it sometimes looked like he was just laying is fingers on the fretboard aimlessly. then i looked closer and saw the method to his madness. if youre just strumming rhythms with a band, you dont always need every single string to ring out.

oh yah one more thing... you can throw some lighter strings on there too. my cheapy steel string guitar is strung up with 010 ghs electric strings (i get them for $2 a pack here at the local guitar center). they work just fine. a little twangy of course, but when i record with it i can clean that up.

thanks guys. hopefully i'll get back to my guitar soon. lol

My guitar has some tension so those bar chords are hard for me too. I find that pulling down slightly helps out some.

practice putting pressure on your weaker fingers

Use pressure with your thumb on the back of the neck to help create a tighter clamp

yup im having a hard time with this too but just keep practicing n don't give up u'll be surprised one day u'll be able to do it good

well i would say bar the frets with the side of ur finger because also get as close to the metal fret as possible to get a clearer note but it will take time and practice before you are good at it. I i would also recommend that you star baring higher up on the fretboard where there is less tention, cuse iv been playin guitar for a while and its still hard for me to get an F nice and clear

I have the same problem with bar chords! At times it feels like my finger was going to just drop off because I had to put a lot of pressure. My brother even had to help apply extra pressure on my finger just to get it to sound crisp! But the using the thumb on the back of the neck seems to be the best solution for me...

Now I just need to learn how switch bar chords more smoothly...

Sounds like several of you can use a professional guitar setup. The action of a guitar should not be so stiff that you cannot play up the neck.

My Masterbilt guitar was smooth as silk and the Martin practically plays itself. I have owned many guitars and setup quite a few. I also use "tens" (.010), or what most string manufacturers call "light" strings. On electric guitar, I like "nines" (.009).

You would be amazed how easy my Martin is to play.

I may as well jump into the mix. I'm new here and don't play uke (yet) but have played guitar for many years. I rarely play barre chords anymore but instead I found a bunch of movable 4 and 5 note chords that are much easier on the hand. Let's see if I can attach it here.

I created these when I taught adult ed guitar classes. Let me know if they work.

Bob

Attachments

• Four Five Note Chords Page 1.jpg
    Four Five Note Chords Page 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Four Five Note Chords Page 2.jpg
    Four Five Note Chords Page 2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Do you prefer re-entrant or low G-String?

John Colter

I think that most people struggle with bar chords, especially the F chord. All it takes is some practice and it can take months. What worked for me was practicing at high fret like 3 or 4, just using the index finger on itself to play all six strings clean, and then adding the E shape with other fingers. Pay attention to the position of thumb for good leverage to be centered behind the neck. Just try it a few times each day in between playing other things.

I can't even do a barre chord on a ukulele with just the 4 strings. I was so proud, the day after I got my Ukulele I had learned 3 whole chords, showed my son, and he said "You're doin' it wrong, Mom" and promptly played the same chord using a barre fingering. I cannot do that. (It was the G chord). Just can't. The index finger can't hold all the strings down that need held down, and with that down I can't reach across to the 2nd string on the 3rd fret without also touching the 1st string. Why is a fingering that I CAN'T play better than the fingering that I CAN play? LOL!

Also what is this shape stuff? It's just fingering, isn't it? I never heard the term in my day, "my day" being the 70s when I was taking guitar lessons.

Last edited:
Barre chords are one of many options for fingering, none of them being the only way. I rarely barre a G chord.

It is also at least an intermediate to advance skill. So I will say that you are right and your son is wrong in that the easier method leading to success (your way) is the way for you to finger the chord.

(The "Shape" stuff is also an advanced way of learning patterns on the fretboard for some players. After five years, I have not learned it because I have no use for it. My guess is that your son is a guitar player. The guitar world is a very competitive world where many players try to show off and "one up" other players (with apologies to guitar players that this does not characterize or if I oversimplify) so the more complex methods are "right" (to your son). The ukulele world, otoh, is much more welcoming and accepting of different techniques and levels of play. )

Last edited:
@rainbow21 Almost. He's a bass player. He doesn't like it when I suggest electric guitar is closely related to electric bass. Because they are totally different! He sez.

Little does he know I lump all guitar-like instruments together, including banjo and mandolin. OF course there are differences. But fewer differences between bass, guitar, and uke than some of the others. I've only played guitar, now Uke, and once upon a time mandolin. But to me they are all related.

Thanks. I kept seeing shape and I was like "what the heck is that all about".

I find barre chords difficult due to arthritis in both hands, hence the reason I went from a 6 string guitar to a 4 string tenor guitar… (and baritone ukulele)

@rustydusty I have hopes yet for my 3/4 steel strung guitar. So far my fingertips are still too tender. But the uke is bringing that along - I can easily play it for half an hour to an hour, but I try to keep it down to 30 mins or less at a time (so I can continue to cycle through all my instruments throughout the day and to keep it "fresh" as the yunguns say).

I had the pineapple uke strung with low G, and ditto with the Tenor uke I should have in hands in a couple of days. With the idea that that will make transitioning back and forth between ukes and guitar easier.

The neck is narrower and the body is smaller - its like a smaller version of a Les Paul electric guitar. Enya Nova Go. I have arthritis but it hasn't made it to my hands (yet). So I'm hangin' in there.

Top Bottom