Gibson ETU Electric tenor ukulele

That's a magnetic pickup and works with steel strings. The uke is strung with steel strings.

Aloha Ukebeatsguitar,
I have seen one in the past, gee it was expensive but not this expensive...Wow....Thanks for sharing...Have a Happy New Year!!! MM Stan..

saw this this morning when I ordered a few things. I think it is ugly, it may be rare but so is a cow with 2 heads. I used to have one without the pickup and it was awesome and I sold it for a fraction of that price.

I'm reviving this old thread to note that I saw Eddie Vedder last night and he played the GibsonETU and it sounded incredible. The pickup is P-90ish and it was reminiscent of Neil Young's guitar sound, totally unlike any electric uke I have ever heard. Of course the vintage tweed deluxe didn't hurt the tone either. I'd love to find something like this or build one. It's a curiosity considering that this was very near the time the first electric guitars were being made. Makes me wonder who might've played these back when they came out.

I have been on the hunt for a Gibson ETU for some time now. While they appear sporadically on Ebay, I keep getting outbid for them (and I've bid quite a bit). I would love to chat with someone who has experience with these instruments and/or has one they might be interested in parting with. Feel free to email me (billynjoanna@mac.com).

I have been on the hunt for a Gibson ETU for some time now. While they appear sporadically on Ebay, I keep getting outbid for them (and I've bid quite a bit). I would love to chat with someone who has experience with these instruments and/or has one they might be interested in parting with. Feel free to email me (billynjoanna@mac.com).

I googled the Gibson ETU
9W0A5508.jpg

and what I found was a vintage instrument that in practice is more a cavauinho than a ukulele.

ariass-cavauinho-2013-cons-full-front.jpg

Its a collectors vintage instrument. I wouldn't be buying it as a player in the ukulele stye. In its day you would have had to use all light gauge strings like the cavauinho or the intonation would e terrible.

Last edited:
Ironically I was following this one on eBay. It looks to be strung with nylon strings and Is asked the seller how could that setup work. He had no knowledge of the instrument. I had no idea the pickup was original. At any rate it sold for a pretty penny...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Tenor-Electric-Ukulele/332691902891?hash=item4d75fb91ab:g:SuQAAOSwCx5bKbKL#vi__app-cvip-panel

Edit added: eBay now offers up whatever, when you check on a completed listing, you have to click the word "listing" in blue to see the original Gibson listing.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom