Banjo Mania

marymac

Reaction score
Ok, I waited patiently (for me) for the Mainland banjo-ukes to arrive, but last Friday I finally gave up and ordered a used Beansprout instead. Having done that, of course there was a message on UU the next day that the Mainland banjos arrived! This is pretty typical for how things work for me.

Anyway, Aaron is supposed to be shipping my Beansprout today AND I went ahead and ordered one of the new Mainland Concert Banjo-ukes today as well. My partner is going to flip when I get two banjos at once. Oh well - BUAS, here I come!

I'll post a comparison once I get them both. I'm sure they'll both be great or I wouldn't have ordered them!

Last edited:
This is probably a ridiculous suggestion - but if you have two banjo ukuleles coming about the same time, you may be able to do an interesting comparison. If you wait to open the first until the second arrives, then open them together, play each, rate each - which do you like - and see how you feel a month or 6 months later - is your first choice still the one? I don't know how that would help anyone out there looking to buy one or the other, but it would be interesting to see how each instrument grows on you after being played. I sort of opted to get as nice a ukulele as I could, hoping to grow into it, and I have only one. But it's a good one. I hope this isn't too silly a suggestion - just seemed like an opportunity - how often do you have TWO ukuleles coming to you at once!! - or for that matter, three! All the best, Pete

Dont worry - the Beansprout is supposed to be an absolute doozie of an instrument!

This is probably a ridiculous suggestion - but if you have two banjo ukuleles coming about the same time, you may be able to do an interesting comparison. If you wait to open the first until the second arrives, then open them together, play each, rate each - which do you like - and see how you feel a month or 6 months later - is your first choice still the one? I don't know how that would help anyone out there looking to buy one or the other, but it would be interesting to see how each instrument grows on you after being played. I sort of opted to get as nice a ukulele as I could, hoping to grow into it, and I have only one. But it's a good one. I hope this isn't too silly a suggestion - just seemed like an opportunity - how often do you have TWO ukuleles coming to you at once!! - or for that matter, three! All the best, Pete

Hey Pete - I hadn't thought about revisiting the comparison in a few months but that is a great idea. I don't think I'll be able to refrain from opening the box if one arrives before the other though! Hopefully they come the same day but if not, they get tested in the order they arrive. One is an open back and the other is closed back so there will be differences inherent to the construction. I'm really excited to see what my ear prefers though, and how they feel in my hands.

In a way it will be an unfair comparison since one is hand made of solid wood by an craftsman and the other is made of laminate in a Chinese factory, but I've loved the Mainland ukes I've played so I expect that the Mainland banjo will have a similar high-quality. Another difference: even a used Beansprout cost more than twice as much as the Mainland!

Last edited:
Ok, I waited patiently (for me) for the Mainland banjo-ukes to arrive, but last Friday I finally gave up and ordered a used Beansprout instead. Having done that, of course there was a message on UU the next day that the Mainland banjos arrived! This is pretty typical for how things work for me.

Anyway, Aaron is supposed to be shipping my Beansprout today AND I went ahead and ordered one of the new Mainland Concert Banjo-ukes today as well. My partner is going to flip when I get two banjos at once. Oh well - BUAS, here I come!

I'll post a comparison once I get them both. I'm sure they'll both be great or I wouldn't have ordered them!
Aloha Marymac,
So is that your excuse why you're getting both..he he:)Have fun and enjoy and let us
know how they turn out in the comparison....thanks for sharing!! Nice belated christmas
gifts to yourself!!! Happy New Year!! and Happy Strummings...MM Stan
Hooray for BUAS fever!!!

Last edited:
Lady, you got it BAD !!!

One is an open back and the other is closed back so there will be differences inherent to the construction. I'm really excited to see what my ear prefers though, and how they feel in my hands.

Now, to make this more interesting; consider the head tension. Tightening or loosening the head will change the sound of these things. Each will have its sweet spot. Too tight and it can sound pingy. Too loose and it can get muddy.

Mine has a skin head and I like it tuned to Bb.

Good luck and congratulations !

Bill

I'm waiting on the soprano Mainland to come out.

I tune my head to A...just an aside on playing. I would give my eye teeth for a beansprout- lucky you (well, I s'pose you paid for it, so you earned it)- pics needed asap

I tune my head to A...just an aside on playing. I would give my eye teeth for a beansprout- lucky you (well, I s'pose you paid for it, so you earned it)- pics needed asap

I remember your thread about tuning the banjo head - thanks for the reminder!

Well my Mainland is on it's way. Should be here next Wednesday. My Beansprout is on it's way to the wrong address though. Hopefully will be retrieved and sent on its way soon. I still suck at clawhammer but I'm working on it!

Top Bottom