Not counting other stringed instruments. Wudahya play?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
so many of us came from guitar land and may play a banjo or mandolin. Besides stringed instruments do you play anything else? Melodica? Kazoo? Tuba? Piano? etc.

I play a mean shaky egg aka rhythm egg. I can also do a pretty good Ham bone.

so many of us came from guitar land and may play a banjo or mandolin. Besides stringed instruments do you play anything else? Melodica? Kazoo? Tuba? Piano? etc.

I play a mean shaky egg aka rhythm egg. I can also do a pretty good Ham bone.

I play spades. does that count?

penny whistle (some of which are considerably more than a penny),
Native American flute
trying to find time to learn blues harp, so far I stink at it and don't have enough air
shakers and such - for some reason I can't stand tambourine unless somebody really, really good is playing it and I'm not that person
anything that will go "thump" and doesn't run away when I slap it (add your own one-liner here)

oh...and...lest we forget...doorstop! LOL

However, the intrument upon which I am most accomplished is without a doubt the CD or MP3 player...

John

Clarinet. Almost 50 years. But I don't play much anymore.

Anybody want to buy my Buffet? :)

OH, I almost forgot - I also flirted with a tenor sax a few years ago. However, my family threatened to move out if I didn't stop making noises like a flatulant elephant so I gave it to a kid I knew who could actually play - mostly because I knew if my family did follow through and move out I'd be stuck supporting two households! LOL

John

I played the clarinet from third grade through high school. I still have it, but I more or less gave up playing it after college. I have a melodica and bongo drums, and I dabble on the piano, although I don't have regular access to one anymore. And I just bought sleigh bells.

Penny whistle, "Serious" slide whistle (Historically the slide whistle was known as the jazz whistle and was used as a legitimate instrument instead of a sound effect generator), keys, theremin, stylophone, harmonica, melodica, and percussion. Really anything you don't have to blow into I can play to some extent. My next purchase, hopefully, will be either one of those buster 80$ thrift store trumpets or perhaps a soprano sax... I've really been itching to learn a proper horn and unfortunately I've just never had one in my possession long enough to actually dig it.

Accordion (there are way more of those around here than Ukes)
Melodica and Concertina...
Soon to also play lap steel (when I finish it)
Oh yes, and the greatest instrument ever (did I say that on here?)- the rhythm bones

recorder, harmonica, kazoo, xylophone, glockenspiel, lots of percussion instruments with the children, bongos, anything that's fun!!!

the rest of the time I can play the fool with a high degree of competence :eek:

Saxophone- alto in elementary school and tenor in high school. Had a soprano for awhile after I got married, but sold it because it was Chinese cheapo crap. Mess with a flute from time to time and have sopranino, soprano, alto & tenor recorders, bongos, congas and a djembe.
Bill

Woodwinds, brass, percussion, keys and I'm also a vocalist. Ric

Good answer. So, you play every single instrument.

I always feel a bit self-deprecating with these questions. I play the accordion not that well, the flugelhorn badly, the piano so-so, the penny whistle so-so, the tenor sax decently. I can get noise out of most instruments I've tried, but I wouldn't say I "play" them. There are lots of instruments I've never even tried.

Piano. If it was as portable as a concert uke, I take it with me everywhere. Need a minimum of 76 keys. My Yamaha keyboard just isn't that portable.

Played trumpet through high school. I have my brother's trumpet in the attic but haven't played it in years. Also played french horn, sax (have an alto), clarinet, and flute. Now that I have a U-Bass I'm learning bass clef for the first time. Hard to get it ingrained when I've spent so many years on treble clef.

Up until receiving my uke last week I was primarily a singer, but I did moonlight on tambourine/shaker eggs for my uncle's band on on occasion. ;)

If you count tap dance as a form of percussion, I "play" that too, but that's probably cheating.

Top Bottom