PDA

View Full Version : Not counting other stringed instruments. Wudahya play?

Uke Republic
12-28-2010, 05:00 PM
so many of us came from guitar land and may play a banjo or mandolin. Besides stringed instruments do you play anything else? Melodica? Kazoo? Tuba? Piano? etc.

I play a mean shaky egg aka rhythm egg. I can also do a pretty good Ham bone.

haolejohn
12-28-2010, 05:05 PM
so many of us came from guitar land and may play a banjo or mandolin. Besides stringed instruments do you play anything else? Melodica? Kazoo? Tuba? Piano? etc.

I play a mean shaky egg aka rhythm egg. I can also do a pretty good Ham bone.

I play spades. does that count?

Kem
12-28-2010, 05:07 PM
That would be piano, piano accordion, flute, and various whistles. I can also handle the melodica, harmonica, and recorder, plus a bunch of rhythm instruments. I own a bodhran and a Xaphoon, but I haven't done much with them.

Uke Republic
12-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I play spades. does that count?
I'd say it does count.

OldePhart
12-28-2010, 05:41 PM
penny whistle (some of which are considerably more than a penny),
Native American flute
trying to find time to learn blues harp, so far I stink at it and don't have enough air
shakers and such - for some reason I can't stand tambourine unless somebody really, really good is playing it and I'm not that person
anything that will go "thump" and doesn't run away when I slap it (add your own one-liner here)

oh...and...lest we forget...doorstop! LOL

However, the intrument upon which I am most accomplished is without a doubt the CD or MP3 player...

John

pdxuke
12-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Clarinet. Almost 50 years. But I don't play much anymore.

Anybody want to buy my Buffet? :-)

OldePhart
12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
OH, I almost forgot - I also flirted with a tenor sax a few years ago. However, my family threatened to move out if I didn't stop making noises like a flatulant elephant so I gave it to a kid I knew who could actually play - mostly because I knew if my family did follow through and move out I'd be stuck supporting two households! LOL

John

mds725
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
I played the clarinet from third grade through high school. I still have it, but I more or less gave up playing it after college. I have a melodica and bongo drums, and I dabble on the piano, although I don't have regular access to one anymore. And I just bought sleigh bells.

itsme
12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I used to play flute but haven't touched it in years. Also have a tenor sax in the back of the closet that I always sucked at.

KenjiBeast
12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Penny whistle, "Serious" slide whistle (Historically the slide whistle was known as the jazz whistle and was used as a legitimate instrument instead of a sound effect generator), keys, theremin, stylophone, harmonica, melodica, and percussion. Really anything you don't have to blow into I can play to some extent. My next purchase, hopefully, will be either one of those buster 80$ thrift store trumpets or perhaps a soprano sax... I've really been itching to learn a proper horn and unfortunately I've just never had one in my possession long enough to actually dig it.

ricdoug
12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Woodwinds, brass, percussion, keys and I'm also a vocalist. Ric

TCK
12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Accordion (there are way more of those around here than Ukes)
Melodica and Concertina...
Soon to also play lap steel (when I finish it)
Oh yes, and the greatest instrument ever (did I say that on here?)- the rhythm bones

Hippie Dribble
12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
recorder, harmonica, kazoo, xylophone, glockenspiel, lots of percussion instruments with the children, bongos, anything that's fun!!!

the rest of the time I can play the fool with a high degree of competence :o

KamakOzzie
12-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Saxophone- alto in elementary school and tenor in high school. Had a soprano for awhile after I got married, but sold it because it was Chinese cheapo crap. Mess with a flute from time to time and have sopranino, soprano, alto & tenor recorders, bongos, congas and a djembe.
Bill

pulelehua
12-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Woodwinds, brass, percussion, keys and I'm also a vocalist. Ric

Good answer. So, you play every single instrument.

I always feel a bit self-deprecating with these questions. I play the accordion not that well, the flugelhorn badly, the piano so-so, the penny whistle so-so, the tenor sax decently. I can get noise out of most instruments I've tried, but I wouldn't say I "play" them. There are lots of instruments I've never even tried.

ADD
12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Piano. If it was as portable as a concert uke, I take it with me everywhere. Need a minimum of 76 keys. My Yamaha keyboard just isn't that portable.

marymac
12-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Played trumpet through high school. I have my brother's trumpet in the attic but haven't played it in years. Also played french horn, sax (have an alto), clarinet, and flute. Now that I have a U-Bass I'm learning bass clef for the first time. Hard to get it ingrained when I've spent so many years on treble clef.

Lola
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Up until receiving my uke last week I was primarily a singer, but I did moonlight on tambourine/shaker eggs for my uncle's band on on occasion. ;)

If you count tap dance as a form of percussion, I "play" that too, but that's probably cheating.

mm stan
12-28-2010, 11:32 PM
The thing for me now is what's next....maybe a Japanese bamboo flute....sounds so nice....

ytmr
12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Piano for most of my life, and a little recorder, and very basic drum beats. :D

Tor
12-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Harmonica (not the chromatic type), to some extent. And I can technically play the type of flutes we used in school (if you put a sheet with a simple melody in front of me). I used to play a brass horn as a boy, but even though my hand knows what to do with the valves when i see the sheet my lips can't do the job anymore - you need to keep that kind of training up to speed or you lose it. Anyway I can't play anything really well.

brucemoffatt
12-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Blues harp, although I'm decades out of practice. Also sang in a garage band 40 years ago and I'm just realising how bad my voice and my musical sense have become.

ItsMrPitchy
12-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Just started drums and can play a little keyboard.

dnewton2
12-29-2010, 01:41 AM
I have a didgeridoo and can play it but have not really got the circular breathing thing down so I have to stop for air when I play.

Brewerpaul
12-29-2010, 02:48 AM
I play pennywhistle and also make them (see my signature). Luckily for me, there is a whistle acquisitive disorder too :-) 'cause the ones I make are fairly high end, although not as high as high end ukes.
I also play Irish flute, recorder, bit of harmonica, various ethnic/folk flutes,some piano, bones, probably a couple of other odd things that slip my mind at the moment...

Skitzic
12-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Kazoo, recorder, flute, very little piano, anything you can shake or hit without getting arrested, washboard, and way back in the day I played hand bells. I'm too poor to have my own set though.

armytrucker77
12-29-2010, 03:45 AM
I played the trombone from jr high up until I went to the army and i played some on the piano and organ...now Im working on the uke and dulcimer. those will be easier to take on the road with me when I start trucking next week.

cheekmeat
12-29-2010, 07:02 AM
I recently picked the trombone up again after a +/-20 year absence. It was rough going at first, but I started using it in one of my bands to force myself to practice, and I'm improving.

And I love twangin' on my jaw-harps.

MGM
12-29-2010, 07:05 AM
i play keyboards, drums, all brass instruments mainly low brass baritone and tuba, flute, sax and clarinet. I wanted to be a band teacher LOL till i heard the pay scale

kenikas
12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I dabble a bit at piano (though technically that's a string instrument, isn't it?), and pennywhistle. I played accordian for quite a few years but haven't picked one up for a long time. But as has been said by several here, I don't really play anything very well!

roxhum
12-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Fun thread and such talent.

For me I have been learning the Piano accordion for the last 3 years and I can pick out a tune on the piano but haven't played the piano since I was a kid.

Roxhum

dans003
12-29-2010, 09:23 AM
i play piano/keyboard, uke (as you know), and bass (I dont count this as a stringed instrument :-) ). I also sing.

DAPuke
12-29-2010, 09:35 AM
I play drums, not that well, but I do own a set and play in a couple bands. They force me to sing back up too.
The uke rules!
DAP

Tudorp
12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I played a harmonica for awhile years ago. Still love em, but just got too tied up in guitar and bass at the time. But other than that, I can play the hell out of a good stereo. When I was in the Air Force back in the 1970s and 80s, there were two guys in my dorm where everybody hung out in their rooms because they had the crankiness stereo equipment playing all the best southern fried rock and blues.. That was my good friend (rest his soul) "Ike", and myself... Man, we had awesome times playin the hell out of some stereo equipment.. ;)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I played piano/keyboard for a short time, but only because I was trying to learn "music" theory then. That was one of the few futile attempts I made at not only being able to play an instrument, but also know what it was I was doing, and why.. Never got it, and like I said before, I just played, and everytime I tried to bring theory into it, or play using actual "music" people would tell me to give up on that, and just play... hahha.. For some reason, musical theory would just slow me down. Not enough processing power or RAM in my head to "think" about what I was playing I guess.. hehheh

pepamahina
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I played French horn through college, but gave it up when I graduated. Horn is just not a very practical instrument unless you've got an orchestra to hang around with, and no one ever asks you to whip out your horn and play some tunes around the campfire, you know what I mean??

franulele
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Trombone was my major instrument in college. I still play it in the summer mostly, because its hard to keep the chops in shape during the school year. I'm a K-8 music teacher so I dabble on woodwinds, brass & percussion as well.

OldePhart
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I played French horn through college, but gave it up when I graduated. Horn is just not a very practical instrument unless you've got an orchestra to hang around with, and no one ever asks you to whip out your horn and play some tunes around the campfire, you know what I mean??

Heh, heh - and if they did they'd probably all be rolled up in their bags asleep by the time you finally got all the joints tight and in tune... :)

John

itsme
12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
You made me think of the french horn player who used to live next door to us. He was classically trained and quite good, actually. When the ice cream trucks would come around, he'd play along to their tunes. He had a duet partner who was an accordian player. They used to play some kind of strange middle eastern/klezmer stuff.

Ukuleleblues
12-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Harmonica and Kazoo. I'l put a shaker in my sock and stomp my foot. I have a string of bells I tie around my ankle and do the same and this: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=236.

misterpk
12-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I still play the trombone and baritone. I've dabbled on the trumpet but I sound horrible!

Eric Blooduke
01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Great Highland Bagpipe, Galician Gaita, Whistle

Miss Michele
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I played the flute, violin, and organ when I was a kid. I was more of a dancer...took, tap and jazz lessons for years! Now,I just play finger drums (or pens) on the coffee table all of the time! lol

farmerboy
01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
My degree was in melodeon, but I also play piano accordion and anglo concertina as well as melodica, piano, guitar, bass, penny-whistle, percussion and I'm currently learning cello and trombone. Music's great!

Plainsong
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Clarinet and those related to it... I'd love to get an alto clarinet. I think alto clarinets should replace alto and tenor sax. Also played an alto sax until I said ew, recorder, and I'm very horrible at piano. I crossed over to some brass with flugelhorn and mellophone. Voice was my major though.

And then I discarded all of those for a uke or 5. :)

tjomball
01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
recorder and blues harp, jew's harp and bongo's

SweetWaterBlue
01-16-2011, 07:52 AM
i play keyboards, drums, all brass instruments mainly low brass baritone and tuba, flute, sax and clarinet. I wanted to be a band teacher LOL till i heard the pay scale

Ha ha. I played the trumpet in middle and high school. I even thought about becoming a professional musician (but not a band teacher), until I heard the pay scale on that. I took two piano lessons, but didn't have the patience to work through "Teaching Little Fingers to Play," since I could already play the horn. When I had a dance band in High School I dabbled with my buddy's saxophone and clarinet, and I played the guitar very badly in a rock and roll band.

I gave my old horn to my son, who played it in a Ska band in his high school years. I still have an old clarinet that I picked up somewhere, but no playable brass anymore. I learned enough harmonica last year to lay down a track for my Freight Train video, but haven't really played it since. We have a piano that no one ever plays (my wife used to play it), and I have a keyboard that I sometimes plunk a few notes on. A few old guitars that I can't play and a bunch of ukes I can almost play round out my current collection.

jungleturtle
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Besides strings I play drums and percussion, piano, and harmonica.

angeltreats
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Tin whistle (aka penny whistle, I think?) Back home in Ireland everyone learned tin whistle at school, the way non-Irish kids learned recorder.

Harmonica (badly, but trying to get better)

Three years of cello at school, just didn't like it very much and probably don't remember much of it

And guitar, although that doesn't count as it has strings :)

I have a long list of instruments I'd love to be able to play. Piano is at the top. Also piano accordion, bodhran (traditional Irish drum), violin, mandolin.

My dad played the fiddle, harmonica and bagpipes, as well as singing in a male voice choir. Unfortunately he doesn't play anymore, and only sings when he's in the shower or darning his socks. Such a shame, he was really good. Next time I go home for a visit I'm going to bring my uke and see if I can get him interested.

MiG-19
01-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I took guitar lessons as a kid, but never practiced enough to consider myself a guitar player, and I still don't consider myself one, although I recently acquired a used one. I have only played with it a little bit, and still don't consider myself a guitar player. Bluegrass banjo is my main instrument, which I began playing in my 20's. I'm fortunate to have two top of the line banjos that far exceed my talents, both made by Stelling. I also have begun dabbling in the mandolin, and could also consider myself a mandolin player. You know, I only play the banjo and mandolin for myself and family, and would never consider taking it out in public, because I lack the speed to keep up with most groups, and I consider myself a closet picker at best. The ukulele though is an instrument that I play in group settings and enjoy playing with others, and I belong to a local ukulele club. It is certainly a very sociable instrument. Ukes are just plain FUN!

philpot
01-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I play piano, keyboard/synth in an "up and coming" band. Its a tie for my favorite instrument, next to the uke ;) theres nothing quite like the depth you can achieve through that one instrument.