just got my first Tenor: Makala MK-T

Paul Cote

Reaction score
Makala MK-T I got this Makala MK-T yesterday and it is a pretty one with striped wood on it. So I guess it is Acacia right? And, it does not look like the top is laminated. The top is a thin wood. Doesn't look laminated. Does anyone know? Sounds great with the Martin Fluorocarbons on it. I am curious how do Aquilas sound relative to Fluorocarbons? I don't want to change the strings again as I just changed them yesterday though when I get my low G string in the mail, I will swap that string out. I love this instrument!

I can play bar chords all the way up and down the neck. Its way easier than my Soprano! I tried my Dolphin after playing the Tenor and its no where near as fun anymore.... Love the Tenor

Their spec says agathis wood. Probably laminated but a thin high quality laminate. Congrats on the uke!

Congrats! The MK-T was my first too, and although I have quite a few others now I still really enjoy mine. I have mine set up with low g Aquila's and the sound is great, IMO the MK's are the best sounding of the low end ukes. Yes it's an Agathis laminate.

I got my Makala MK-T in April and love it. I put Aquila's on it after about a month, I had to build up the courage to try string changing for the first time. The only comparison I can make is with a vintage Martin soprano I got to play, the strings on the Martin (I believe they were the flurocarbons) were not as taught as the aquila's. I posted a video of me playing the Makala if you want to hear it I'll repost it here.
DAP

I have a Makala soprano at the moment and for the money I am well pleased with the quality, but am thinking of going for the tenor version as I feel the soprano size is a bit restrictive. I will be very interested in hearing how you get along with it. Happy Ukeing!

Rob

Last edited:
My MK-T has been to Hell and back with me. We've survived through a beach, a talent show, 3 live performances for drama class at school, and two showcases for musical theatre. I love her to death, and she's never let me down.

Mine is a great, and totally indispensable Uke. I have no problem handing it to a twelve year old for the weekend, and introducing more people to the wonderful world of Ukulele with it. Love love love it- nice purchase!

DAP Uke, I just watched your youtube and it was very good. I imagine you could use that same technique for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"--and the singing... . I saw that in a lesson on youtube with Mike. Yes the uke sounds sonorous with those strings. The fluorocarbons are at least as bright I believe. I guess I will know when I finally put the aquilas on an instrument to see how they compare to the Martins. I sent my new dolphin back and should get a replacement for it soon. I had bought two of them, one for my son and one for me just before Christmas. I got him a white and I got a black. His sounds wonderful--sonorous and round. Mine sounds sort of like a cheap ukulele--plinky. So, I sent mine back. Plus after two days of playing the pain started chipping off. So I expect I will get a new one. Am hoping it is a better one. Little did I realize theres a shop in town that sells Kalas and Makalas and they are no more expensive than online and are all set up! Boy I was dumb not to check that place out. Anyways, when I get the dolphin back I will put aquilas on it and compare it to my son's dolphin. Maybe I shoulda got a white one. If the paint chips on a white one you don't notice it--they are white under the paint chips.

Well the Guitar Store, Riks Music in Knoxville has the dolphins. He also has a Kala concert traveller with a spruce top and has three of those Kala Mahogany concerts. They all are on the wall, tuned with aquilas and sound perfect. I believe the mahogany's are 89.99 set up. (they are nice) He says he will set up any he sells however you want. It took all my energy not to buy one of those mahogany ukes I liked them so much but I know my wife would freak out seen as my MK-T came the same day. She might could not tell the diff between my tenor and a new concert so maybe I can be a sneaky guy and (geez am I a ukaholic?)..... ninety bucks is not bad for such a beautiful instrument that plays that well...

Well I only paid 70 bucks for this MK-T and dang I didn't know any better back when I got the cheap first ukes I got. I mean 70 bucks is cheap but this uke is awesome compared to those cheap little sopranos I got.... if I could find the box I would return that Kohala I got from Guitar Center and use the money to get something else. I guess theres a learning curve.

I put the wound G String which is a D'addario Pro Arte as the Low G with the Martin Fluorocarbons on the MK-T. You know my right hand fingernails are not grown out that much and my fingers and thumb are getting a bit raw. In fact, my fretting hand (Left) nearly has blisters. So today I pulled out a medium Dunlop nylon pick and dang if that doesn't work. Oh I know I am cheating (hey, my thumb is almost bleeding as the nail is not grown out like when I used to played classical). but the thing is I did a search on Youtube and lo and behold John Mcglaughlin, Pat Metheny, Geo Harrison etc... used pics on nylons so I don't care... sounds awesome in fact..... but then I returned to my index as it has idk about 1/16 nail on it and I can get some sound out of it...... my thumb is another matter.

I like I can do a little base run lead in now on the MK-T with that Low G.

DAP Uke, I just watched your youtube and it was very good. I imagine you could use that same technique for "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"--and the singing... . I saw that in a lesson on youtube with Mike. Yes the uke sounds sonorous with those strings. The fluorocarbons are at least as bright I believe. I guess I will know when I finally put the aquilas on an instrument to see how they compare to the Martins. I sent my new dolphin back and should get a replacement for it soon. I had bought two of them, one for my son and one for me just before Christmas. I got him a white and I got a black. His sounds wonderful--sonorous and round. Mine sounds sort of like a cheap ukulele--plinky. So, I sent mine back. Plus after two days of playing the pain started chipping off. So I expect I will get a new one. Am hoping it is a better one. Little did I realize theres a shop in town that sells Kalas and Makalas and they are no more expensive than online and are all set up! Boy I was dumb not to check that place out. Anyways, when I get the dolphin back I will put aquilas on it and compare it to my son's dolphin. Maybe I shoulda got a white one. If the paint chips on a white one you don't notice it--they are white under the paint chips.

Well the Guitar Store, Riks Music in Knoxville has the dolphins. He also has a Kala concert traveller with a spruce top and has three of those Kala Mahogany concerts. They all are on the wall, tuned with aquilas and sound perfect. I believe the mahogany's are 89.99 set up. (they are nice) He says he will set up any he sells however you want. It took all my energy not to buy one of those mahogany ukes I liked them so much but I know my wife would freak out seen as my MK-T came the same day. She might could not tell the diff between my tenor and a new concert so maybe I can be a sneaky guy and (geez am I a ukaholic?)..... ninety bucks is not bad for such a beautiful instrument that plays that well...

Well I only paid 70 bucks for this MK-T and dang I didn't know any better back when I got the cheap first ukes I got. I mean 70 bucks is cheap but this uke is awesome compared to those cheap little sopranos I got.... if I could find the box I would return that Kohala I got from Guitar Center and use the money to get something else. I guess theres a learning curve.

I put the wound G String which is a D'addario Pro Arte as the Low G with the Martin Fluorocarbons on the MK-T. You know my right hand fingernails are not grown out that much and my fingers and thumb are getting a bit raw. In fact, my fretting hand (Left) nearly has blisters. So today I pulled out a medium Dunlop nylon pick and dang if that doesn't work. Oh I know I am cheating (hey, my thumb is almost bleeding as the nail is not grown out like when I used to played classical). but the thing is I did a search on Youtube and lo and behold John Mcglaughlin, Pat Metheny, Geo Harrison etc... used pics on nylons so I don't care... sounds awesome in fact..... but then I returned to my index as it has idk about 1/16 nail on it and I can get some sound out of it...... my thumb is another matter.

I like I can do a little base run lead in now on the MK-T with that Low G.
I'm glad you got to hear the MK-T with the Aguila strings. Yes there are better ukes out there but for the price I'm happy with it. Do I want a nice solid koa uke?
heck yeah, partly cuz I want a better uke and partly because I want...UAS. I'm just glad a decent instrument doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
Also there is nothing at all wrong with using picks if it works for you. The uke is about making whatever kind of music you want, played any way you want and not about technique, thanks goodness:)
DAP

Top Bottom