couldn't resist - just ordered from MGM

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, I've been looking at Riptides, waiting for the local store to get one in so I could play it, (I ordered it over a month ago, and haven't heard anything), so I emailed MusicGuyMic and let him know what I was looking for, and my budget, and asked for his advice, based on his reputation here on UU. I was planning on making the purchase in 2 or 3 weeks.

He responded with a uke that was more than I could really afford, and had the semi-hard case. I allowed that I could go a bit higher, as long as a hard shell case (similar to the alligator case in his store) was included.

His response was to call him, he could do $xxx, delivered.

So here was my dilemma: I'm 2-3 weeks in advance of when I can really afford the instrument, for more than I could really afford to part with, at a delivered price a fraction of the MSRP.

I was on the phone within 1 minute of the email arriving.

I will shortly be the proud owner of a new Kala KA KTG CT, tenor koa gloss cedar top ukulele.

http://www.kalaukulele.com/detail.asp?product_id=KA-KTG-CT

Happy New Year to Me!!!!!

-Kurt

(It is so hard to turn down a great deal like that!)

Congrats on the new uke, and welcome Kurt. MGM is da bess! I have bought 4 ukes from him and more than a few other things too, and it's a joy every time, his customer service is second to none. I'm sure you will love it, and let us know when you get it.

Sweet! Those look really nice. I've been eyeballin' them on MGM's page too, I just don't have any money. Nice step up from the riptide IMO.

I had the Concert size of the same uke, also bought from MGM. It was my first uke & it has since been sold as my "need" has overridden my sense & budget. But... it is a great sounding & beautiful uke. Kala's accents like the decorative fret markers, rosette, & purfling really make it "pop" & the Solid Cedar top gives it a great sound. You will definitely like it!

I bought Gmoney's concert for my wife. Very nice ukulele, very deep sound for a concert. She is just starting to play, but is quick to point out that it is her ukulele whenever I pick it up.

The other nice thing about this ukulele is MGM did his string comparisons on the same Kala, so you can test out different strings without even buying any.

Congratulations and have fun!

John

The UPS Tracking page says it Kala has been delivered! I gotta get my butt over to the UPS Store and get it... but I have to work this afternoon, and won't have time to play! (grumble!)

I'll post pictures by Sunday evening. (No way to make recordings; no web cam, and haven't seen my microphones since before I got married...)

-Kurt

Aloha Kurt,
Congrats on the new Kala.....Have Fun and enjoy! Happy strummings...and Have a Happy New Year!! MM Stan...

Congrats on the new uke! Mike is a great guy to buy from. His service is outstanding.

I have a cedartop Kala and it's my go to uke when I need a LOUD one. They have an amazing volume. Happy strummin

Ya know, it just occurred to me. Guys like MGM and companies like KoAloha, entities that put customer service at the forefront, have done more for the uke craze than anything. If we all had bad experiences with uke entities I believe the uke craze would never have carried on.

Well, CRAP!

The ukulele was delivered to my UPS Storethis morning, and yesterday I verified with an employee that they would be closing at 5 pm today. I didn't have a chance to go before work, so I asked my wife to pick it up for me - she got there at 4:15 pm.

They were closed.

No sign posted giving early closing hours, no indication that they would not stay open until 5. Just closed.

So I can't get the uke until Monday now.

Just...... well, CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Kurt

If you want to keep them being closing down one day because no one uses them anymore, complain to their manager about how they closed early with not even so much as a gone fishin' sign. If you were the manager, it's something you'd want to know. Unless of course, it's typical UPS and they're not bothered.

Well it's Monday now, so pics? And Happy New Uke Day.

I complained to the owner this morning - he didn't give a damn, and his response was, "Well, I wasn't here on Friday, so I don't know anything about it."

If there was another UPS store within 5 miles, and if I hadn't had a box there for 10 years BEFORE he bought the business, I'd probably go elsewhere.

Anyway, I've got the new uke, and photos are forthcoming (haven't even tuned her up yet - letting her get up to temp after the drive home...)

-Kurt

New Kala KA-KTG-CT from MGM!

Well, the new ukulele has arrived - I haven't even tuned her up yet, but here are some photos.

First, MusicGuyMic's shipping was fast - I ordered the instrument on Wednesday morning, and UPS delivered it to my UPS Store address before 10AM on Friday. (But the store closed early, before I could get there!)
kala 01.jpgkala 02.jpg
As you can see, MGM packed the uke securely - not a ding on the box when it arrived.

Once I got all the packing material out (recyclable paper!) the case was bagged.
kala 03.jpg The chord finder book was in the pocket
kala 04.jpg

The case is the standard Uke Crazy lightweight foam case - not what I wanted (I wanted an Alligator Hard Shell Case), but within the budget, sort of. I should have been a little more clear on what kind of case I wanted, but then I might not have had the money to buy yet. Oh, well, you can't have too many cases or ukuleles, right?

When I opened the case, there she was - along with MGM's care and feeding (humidification) instructions, and the strings wrapped with paper towels. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get the towels off of the strings - I can't figure out how he got them on!
kala 05.jpg

Photos and commentary continued next message

-Kurt

Mike includes an electronic tuner with the ukuleles, and it was in the internal case pocket. I also noted that he removed the packets of silica-gel from the case before shipping - a good idea - why would you want a desiccant in with a product you want to keep humidified?
kala 06.jpg

I've got a few shots showing the fretboard/top, the label inside (my S/N appears to be 1101, and that seems like a very good sign...), the beautiful binding, the internal kerfs, and the bottom of the instrument where the sides join.
kala 08.jpg

kala 09.jpg

kala 10.jpg

kala 11.jpg

I have a couple more photos to upload - I seem to be running afoul of the forum's limit on 5 photos per message, so back shortly with the rest of the set!

Top Bottom