Been thinking about using a thumb pick....

cb56

Reaction score
As much as I thought I was against the idea. My fingerpicking has been pretty inconsistant attack wise and tone wise. (no fingernails) Today when I was going through some stuff in my junk drawer I found a thumbpick that my sister in law gave to me. I decided to try it out and it sounded pretty good. A little clumsy but a nice even attack and tone on all my single picked notes. Maybe I'll mess with it a little while, I can always switch back right?

A lot of folks use a thumb pick, just be careful about scratching the top of the ukulele.
You might want to put on a clear pick guard.

Pick it baby! You can always switch back...unless you have the thumb pick surgicaly attached...well, you could still remove it but you might lose a little thumb:) Try it, I'm curious, as I too want to pick some but don't want to grow long nails.
Check in with your opinions on it, if you decide to use the pick , many do.
DAP

Been messing with it more today. I'm off work until monday.:D
My sister in law trimmed the pick down so it doesn't stick out from under my thumb that much. I'm going to have to get her to show me how she trimmed it.
I can still strum chords faster with my index finger but when I'm trying to play chord melody solos (slowly anyway) I can really get the solo notes to sound loud and full. THAT's what I've been missing and struggling with. Maybe I'll be able to switch back and forth using the pick for solo notes and strumming with my index finger. IMO this is a big enough improvement tone wise for my single note playing that I think I should stick with it for awhile and see if this develops into "my own" style of playing.
Anyone know of any uke players that use this technique so maybe I can go check out some videos?

Players using thumb picks (that I know of). Herb Ohta Jr., Aaron Keim, Del Rey (finger picks too), Bob Brozman.
I am sure there are many others.

This young lady rocks the thumb pick. When not in use it hangs on the headstock.
DAP

Heh, heh - I knew without looking that was going to be a Taimane clip! That little gal can rock the uke, for sure, and I'd seen her use picks a few times.

John

Last edited:
check out the hot jazz players... they use flat pics for the thumb and index and use their other fingers for the strings.

I to want to get a thumb pick since i have no nails. And since i play rugby i cant grow my nails. Also does anyone have any opinions on those picks you put on your fingers?

I to want to get a thumb pick since i have no nails. And since i play rugby i cant grow my nails. Also does anyone have any opinions on those picks you put on your fingers?

Try some Kelley Freedom Picks.
You can strum or pick. Alaska Picks are nice, but I find them uncomfortable.

Top Bottom