PDA

View Full Version : kala travel soprano alternative stringing?

pondweed
12-29-2010, 09:33 AM
tried a search to see what others have been trying as alternatives to Aquilas, but surprising little on file here or on web...
Anyone able to give reports on anything else?

Gmoney
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Not a Soprano, but I put Orca's on my Travel Concert & liked them. Also tried a set of Fremont Blackine's - I liked both of them but sold it later to go toward another uke.

Derg
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I have some Worth Clears on my travel soprano and much prefer the sound to the Aquilas that were on there when I got it. In fact I have pretty much decided that worth are my favourite ukulele strings and have strung them on all but the cheapest ukuleles.

pondweed
12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
I have some Worth Clears on my travel soprano.
May I ask which weight they are - Light/Med/Tenor...?

Nuprin
12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I just sold mine but found that the Aquilas that it came with sounded harsh to me. As the only store in my area that stocks ukuleles is the music store I work at, I bought the only soprano strings we have in stock...Daddario J65s. (http://store.daddario.com/category/146010/J65_Soprano_Ukulele_Clear_Nylon) I like it better than the Aquilas but I'm sure there's a better choice out there. I ended up getting a Flea for Christmas so I decided I didn't need the Kala.

Paul Cote
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
I use Martin Fluorcarbons on my dolphin and they work great.. they are available at bestbuy and guitar center....

Derg
12-30-2010, 01:50 AM
May I ask which weight they are - Light/Med/Tenor...?

I have Worth Clear Medium's on there right now and they are great. I had some Worth Brown light's on there for a while and the lighter tension was nice for D tuning. The brown strings also look great on that uke. But really I think the CM strings are the best match on that ukulele - especially for C tuning.