cheap case--duct tape the shipping case.......

Paul Cote

Reaction score
My latest addition is the MK-7. The uke cost 70 bucks. I am not going to buy a 25 dollar case for it. The cardboard case fits it pretty perfectly, so what I did was hinged the top to the bottom of the carboard and encapsulated the whole thing in duct tape! Thing is that this case stands on its side or on its end pretty perfectly! I have yet to enhance it fully, but my wife tells me that you can get colored duct tape... and I am now having visions of my new Black Hard Case!.... don't know if anyone else has done this yet.....

Pictures or it didn't happen.:biglaugh:

I did one for a banjo uke that I got at a flea market
CCCase-side.jpgCCCase-empty.jpgCCCase-Butt.jpgCCCase-front.jpgCCCase-sideAll.jpg
Use garilla tape and some white duct tape for the outline. Also velcro for the strap and to hold the door closed, and to add some insurance to the velcro a shoe string

My latest addition is the MK-7. The uke cost 70 bucks. I am not going to buy a 25 dollar case for it. The cardboard case fits it pretty perfectly, so what I did was hinged the top to the bottom of the carboard and encapsulated the whole thing in duct tape! Thing is that this case stands on its side or on its end pretty perfectly! I have yet to enhance it fully, but my wife tells me that you can get colored duct tape... and I am now having visions of my new Black Hard Case!.... don't know if anyone else has done this yet.....

I have seen camo duct tape too... envision the masterpiece you could make.. You can get any color you want!

Duct taped cardboard. Perfect. But make sure that you use a pair of vise grips to keep it closed. :)

Great idea. I was going to do a thread for case recommendations since I just ordered one for a concert and it is too small and I have to send it back. But I have a box and I think pink duct tape would be smashing.
Roxhum

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Paul,
Thanks for sharing...What I do for a stand is use one side on the cardboard box and stand it upright for my daily player..that way it doesn't fall over...and lean it back on a wall or anything..easy access and pretty
convienient...but uke collects dust....MM Stan

Here's an even better (but more expensive) idea, explained in song!

LOL!! I thought I was the only person to think of this. My old mahalo has a duct tape case, almost exactly like the one pictured. For the same reasons, to boot! Thrifty and durable!

I was thinking of reinforcing my Makala Dolphin box with some left over thin leather I have. Anybody have any experience with that? I have rivets I can use for the corners... not sure how to score the leather for going around corners...
I should call the guy at the leather store.

–Lori

This is turning into a "best homemade case" challenge!

I saw paisley duct tape. That would look really sharp. :D

Top Bottom