PDA

View Full Version : cheap case--duct tape the shipping case.......

Paul Cote
12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
My latest addition is the MK-7. The uke cost 70 bucks. I am not going to buy a 25 dollar case for it. The cardboard case fits it pretty perfectly, so what I did was hinged the top to the bottom of the carboard and encapsulated the whole thing in duct tape! Thing is that this case stands on its side or on its end pretty perfectly! I have yet to enhance it fully, but my wife tells me that you can get colored duct tape... and I am now having visions of my new Black Hard Case!.... don't know if anyone else has done this yet.....

cletus
12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.:biglaugh:

rem50
12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.:biglaugh:
second the motion :)

ukeeku
12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I did one for a banjo uke that I got at a flea market
Use garilla tape and some white duct tape for the outline. Also velcro for the strap and to hold the door closed, and to add some insurance to the velcro a shoe string

fitncrafty
12-29-2010, 04:23 PM
My latest addition is the MK-7. The uke cost 70 bucks. I am not going to buy a 25 dollar case for it. The cardboard case fits it pretty perfectly, so what I did was hinged the top to the bottom of the carboard and encapsulated the whole thing in duct tape! Thing is that this case stands on its side or on its end pretty perfectly! I have yet to enhance it fully, but my wife tells me that you can get colored duct tape... and I am now having visions of my new Black Hard Case!.... don't know if anyone else has done this yet.....

I have seen camo duct tape too... envision the masterpiece you could make.. You can get any color you want!

dkcrown
12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Duct taped cardboard. Perfect. But make sure that you use a pair of vise grips to keep it closed. :)

roxhum
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Great idea. I was going to do a thread for case recommendations since I just ordered one for a concert and it is too small and I have to send it back. But I have a box and I think pink duct tape would be smashing.
Roxhum

Paul Cote
12-29-2010, 04:50 PM
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Randyous/ukulele/IMG_0084.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Randyous/ukulele/IMG_0092.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Randyous/ukulele/IMG_0090.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Randyous/ukulele/IMG_0087.jpg

Paul Cote
12-29-2010, 05:07 PM
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Randyous/IMG_0098.jpg

roxhum
12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Your brilliant!

Roxhum

cletus
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
It is beautiful, thanks!

mm stan
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Aloha Paul,
Thanks for sharing...What I do for a stand is use one side on the cardboard box and stand it upright for my daily player..that way it doesn't fall over...and lean it back on a wall or anything..easy access and pretty
convienient...but uke collects dust....MM Stan

brucemoffatt
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
pmsl :)

How much did the duct tape cost?

I love this whole thread. :)

Chris Tarman
12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Here's an even better (but more expensive) idea, explained in song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj4N0I7kby4

KenjiBeast
12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
LOL!! I thought I was the only person to think of this. My old mahalo has a duct tape case, almost exactly like the one pictured. For the same reasons, to boot! Thrifty and durable!

nickman2
12-29-2010, 06:12 PM
I did a case for a uke one time.....
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15692

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15705

I did the case out of cardboard and then decorated it with some original artwork

Lori
12-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I was thinking of reinforcing my Makala Dolphin box with some left over thin leather I have. Anybody have any experience with that? I have rivets I can use for the corners... not sure how to score the leather for going around corners...
I should call the guy at the leather store.

–Lori

cletus
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
This is turning into a "best homemade case" challenge!

Skitzic
12-30-2010, 01:49 AM
I saw paisley duct tape. That would look really sharp. :D

fitncrafty
12-30-2010, 02:56 AM
I am devising how to make in 'invisible case' for my Wonder Woman Uke....This is going to be fun! HA!

Paul Cote
12-30-2010, 04:50 AM
http://www.ducttapefashion.com/products/prod03.htm

I am going to hobby lobby to get some cool duct tape (duck tape) today.

DAPuke
12-30-2010, 06:08 AM
pics of caseNice job, it does the job and the price is right...(what ever duct tape is) DAP

fitncrafty
12-30-2010, 06:23 AM
I was thinking of reinforcing my Makala Dolphin box with some left over thin leather I have. Anybody have any experience with that? I have rivets I can use for the corners... not sure how to score the leather for going around corners...
I should call the guy at the leather store.

–Lori

Lori.. I would think it would be the same as sewing.. cut a slit into the leather in the amount that will wrap over the inside and then cross them over each other. Like a miter then just stretch it around the corners.. only the inside will overlap. Does that make sense.. I love crafty things.. too bad we are across the country from each other...

Lori
12-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Lori.. I would think it would be the same as sewing.. cut a slit into the leather in the amount that will wrap over the inside and then cross them over each other. Like a miter then just stretch it around the corners.. only the inside will overlap. Does that make sense.. I love crafty things.. too bad we are across the country from each other...
I don't want to do a lot of hand sewing, and I don't have a sewing machine for stitching leather. I know you're not suggesting sewing, but I was thinking of glue and rivets (I am lazy), and having the main long edges be folds, and the short sides folded and tabbed ... kind of like the way the box is made. I need to create a hinged lid and some sort of closure hardware. I will want to line the box as well. Could be a fun project.
–Lori

fitncrafty
12-30-2010, 07:33 AM
I don't want to do a lot of hand sewing, and I don't have a sewing machine for stitching leather. I know you're not suggesting sewing, but I was thinking of glue and rivets (I am lazy), and having the main long edges be folds, and the short sides folded and tabbed ... kind of like the way the box is made. I need to create a hinged lid and some sort of closure hardware. I will want to line the box as well. Could be a fun project.
–Lori

You wouldn't have to sew.. you could cross them over and rivet through both sides of the leather.. the rivets would be perfect to hold the leather on.. made a handle and a closure.. too fun.. Now I want to make one..

Paul Cote
12-30-2010, 08:55 AM
I went over to hobby lobby and they have all sorts of felt, fur, leather, fleece (like the jackets) etc... to line the boxes. I am curious about contact paper for the outside of the box although duct tape is more durable I imagine. There are felts with sticky backs too. Also, they have nylon strap and plastic adjusters and connectors (like a snap belt buckle). They have buttons and snaps... all sorts of stuff at Hobby Lobby.

HornedOne
12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
one and a half roll of duct tape, 1.5 ish meters of tartanish fabric, foam from a very old pointy foam mat, cardboard from the HUGE shipping box my eleuke came in (seriously it was massive) add some swearing and 2 macdonald belts and you have yourself a case for a uke

Doug W
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Well this isn't a uke case, it is for my classical guitar but it has taken me years to perfect it:

ukeeku
12-30-2010, 03:28 PM
MAN! Amazon has a ton of awesome duct tape, Fire, tie-dye...zebra, how awesome is that?

Lola
12-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm cracking up over this thread! Ah, it takes me back to my Science Olympiad days when we held everything together with duct tape. My uke has been sitting in its shipping box while not in use and I was thinking of re-tooling an old (small) suitcase for carrying purposes, but maybe I'll hold off and just add a duct tape handle to the box.

ukejoelele
12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Lol I used my Makala Dolphin box as a case, reinforcing its corners with tape... It was such a rough job my flat mate chucked it the day after thinking it was rubbish! Heathen! Thanks for being on my side!

Chris Tarman
12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Well this isn't a uke case, it is for my classical guitar but it has taken me years to perfect it:

I think you should build a case entirely out of "Wall Drug" bumper stickers! That would be AWESOME!!!!

roxhum
01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I did it. I just finished making my custom case. I used tie dye colored duct tape. Bad move. I don't recommend using patterned duct tape. With some string I had laying around my house I have custom closures and from rope dug out of a drawer in my garage a custom strap for carrying. I lined the inside with bubble wrap. Total price, a little high due to the higher cost of the tie dye duct tape, $12. And proudly it is equaly as ugly as the other pics of custom cases shown on this thread.
Cheers,
Roxhum

Lori
01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I did it. I just finished making my custom case. I used tie dye colored duct tape. Bad move. I don't recommend using patterned duct tape. With some string I had laying around my house I have custom closures and from rope dug out of a drawer in my garage a custom strap for carrying. I lined the inside with bubble wrap. Total price, a little high due to the higher cost of the tie dye duct tape, $12. And proudly it is equaly as ugly as the other pics of custom cases shown on this thread.
Cheers,
Roxhum
Photos?
–Lori

roxhum
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I am not having any success uploading pics tonight. I will have to try again tomorrow.
Roxhum

tmj91
02-22-2012, 07:07 AM
I did this today!