Strumming and Picking on an Electric Guitar

maki720

Reaction score
Hello again,

just started learning electric guitar and still have a few dire questions.

1. is a pick really necessary to play?? for all of you who don't use a pick, how do you pick/strum on an electric (i find that it's way easier to strum with my pointer like on ukulele). but another issue is that when picking with a pick, the sound is a bit fuller and accented, in comparison with just picking with one's fingers.

2. is strumming done with the wrist or arm? i'm guessing it's with the wrist, but still not sure.

3. i'm still lost on how picking is done without a pick, like for soloing. how are the right hand fingers positioned??

thanks for your help!

Take a look at this Mark Knopfler video - there are many closeups showing how he picks (with no pick). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruVUbcLwJc&feature=fvsr

You'll also see that he anchors one finger on the scratchplate. Now, the thing about anchoring a finger is that if you start doing that you'll do okay, many pro guitarists do the same, but if you learn anchoring you'll never be able to un-learn it. If you instead never start anchoring a finger you'll find that you won't feel any need to do so either. (In practice you may not run into any trouble by anchoring a finger until you try throwing your guitar behind your back while you play, or something.. but still.. :))

1. No
2. Mostly wrist
3. Just get er done. Prb as many ways to do this as guitar players. Thumb, Alternating thumb & finger(s), abbreviated downward strum with fingernail ala clawhammer banjo style, etc, etc.......

For fingerstyle acoustic, some of which you might carry over to electric, check out The Woodshed forum on the internet (Stefan Grossman) and vids with Stefan Grossman and John Miller. In addition to Mark K, Jeff Beck...and blues, Muddy Waters with slide guitar (Tele). Jazz, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass...

Fingerstyle is s a a great way at at least for me to feel really connected with your playing. The best to you...

Oh yes...check out Ernie Hawkins's stuff also. Great fingerstyle...

Last edited:
A pick is easier to use than your fingers on an electric. If you used your fingers on an acoustic however, it would be easier than on an electric. You are correct about strumming with your wrist. Think of it this way, if you use your arm you are just making more work for yourself.

Top Bottom