Holding a Ukulele While standing up

oxyvince

Reaction score
hi i'm not new to ukulele but i am new to ukuleleunderground :)

I'm completely fine with holding the ukulele when sitting down but when i'm standing up... my ukulele always slips.. which is very frustrating for me

for my left hand position, my thumb is usually on the neck of the ukulele, not curled over where its widely visible (am i holding it correctly?)

but when im changing chords, my ukulele almost always slips!

for example, if i switch to a E minor to a D minor, my ukulele slips :(

thank you in advance :D

Those uke leashes look really nice. That's what I'll end up getting.

to be honest, i dont really want to get a ukulele strap :(

i was just wondering how so many people play without a strap while standing??

to be honest, i dont really want to get a ukulele strap :(

i was just wondering how so many people play without a strap while standing??

You squeeze the uke to your body with your forearm and/or hold it up with your fingers - it's not easy - at least not for me. =)

You squeeze the uke to your body with your forearm and/or hold it up with your fingers - it's not easy - at least not for me. =)

Also try some skin to wood contact!! Bare forearm is the only way for me....I suppose the Hawiaans have it easy with a year round warm climate. The rest of us just have to wait for summer to roll around to get some clothing off.

Cheers

maybe a stupid q, but can u put a strap on any uke? does it involve any sort of uke mutilation? :eek:

Most regular straps would need at least one strap button installed on the butt end of the uke (many straps come with a string or shoelace that you can tie to the headstock for hold up the neck).

Lori (one of our own UU members!!!) invented the Uke Leash which I use for a couple of my ukes with no strap buttons. I like it a lot.

Others use a Uke Thong which people like. I personally like the Leash more as I worry about the hook possibly messing with the finish on my ukes.

Thanks Nuprin I did worry about the thought of glueing/drilling my uke :eek: lol I would've rather not.. that leash looks cool I think I may invest in one! I too struggle playing standing up, slipping when changing chords. im sure practice would improve but id like a strap none the less...

You can always start out with the Uke Leash, and eventually develop the technique for holding without a strap (kind of like training wheels). If you decide you want a full strap, and have a hole drilled for a strap button, Uke Leash has a strap button adapter. I personally don't want to work that hard playing the uke, so Uke Leash or some sort of strap for me... anything that helps me concentrate on left and right hand fingering without worrying about dropping the uke. BTW, Uke Thong will not keep your uke from dropping to the floor if you let go.
–Lori

I'm with you. I don't want a strap, I want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee...so part of the challenge for us is figuring out how to support the headstock while changing chords. I try slow-mo, different hand positions or fingerings. I am working toward learning a chord changing technique new to me called, "rubber stamping", (mahalo OP)
I had not heard of this and prior to trying the uke learned from a guitar book to kind of climb around the fret board, I think that maybe when my chord changes are more exact and quicker I'll be able to "drop" the headstock and catch it....maybe...I don't know. I'm learning Keonepax's (Mahalo Keonepax) version of Elton's "Daniel" and am hung up on the D 2220, to B7 4320 and Em 0432. Right now I can't nail a clean "rubber stamp" of the B7 and the Em from the D cuz holding the headstock thingy up makes it harder.
boo hoo :D Let me know how if ya work it out:) Thanks
DAP

Last edited:
I didn't think I would really like a strap either - until I put one on my baritone and tenor. I had to drill a small hole to mount the strap button, but it was pretty easy and took like 5 minutes (most of which was just working up the courage to do it). Now, I find that even sitting down, the strap makes it so much easier for me to concentrate on fingering the chords and notes, instead of worrying about holding up my uke. I still don't have one on my concerts or sopranos though. Lori's solution is even easier.

I actually sat and thought about this, because this is one area in Ukulele playing where I have had no problem since the start (about four months). Here is what I cam up with:
1. Right arm has to be bare- no way you are doing the "stand up and rock everyone like a hurricane" thing with a sweater on.
2.Pin the top of the lower bout to your body with the forearm, and strum toward the body/neck joint (not over the soundhole). I am Sicilian, so a sweat olive oil and this may be easier for me because of chemistry, but wifey is Czech and she can do it to.
3.When making a chord change, I have noticed the uke naturally rests on the meat of my left hand, and that when I play standing, I make more of a conscious effort to have that extended. In fact, this is the only time I don't curl my thumb (which is bad Uke form I figure). Thumb is at the back of the neck and uke is resting on the flat of my palm between chord changes.

That aside- it was way easier for me to do it with a Soprano at first, but now I can stroll with the Baritone. Being a guy who comes from accordion, and loves to serenade everyone when I am playing ANYTHING- perhaps it was just simpler to figure out because I can't sit still, but if you hold it like I noted- it ought to work itself out.

Well to start with I was a little dissapointed with the ukeleash but it was me rather than the leash. I have persisted and found it better but it wasnt until last night when I was at the local pub, just about to go home when they started playing something I fancied joining in with so as I was standing up I just grabbed the uke and started playing, probably the first time I had done so standing up. Everything just settled in fine and I had no problems at all. I recon the ukeleash must have helped me hold the thin properly as it still requires you to hold the body of the uke against your side as the leash does try to push it back. Its a fairly cheap thing to buy and well worth the effort. Postage and delivery was excellent.
Just telling it as I found it.

Aloha!

I think it's really not much of a trouble. Why should I make my life harder as necessary?

As long I'm just playing some chords within the first few frets, it's no big deal holding the uke without a strap.

However, playing fancy solos is a different matter... For solo playing I'm even sometimes using a strap when sitting... I don't absolutely need it but then it sure makes life easier... So any custom uke for me will get an end pin at least.

Btw, this uke leash is really totally cool! What a great idea :D

Regards
Wilfried

Aloha!

I think it's really not much of a trouble. Why should I make my life harder as necessary?

As long I'm just playing some chords within the first few frets, it's no big deal holding the uke without a strap.

However, playing fancy solos is a different matter... For solo playing I'm even sometimes using a strap when sitting... I don't absolutely need it but then it sure makes life easier... So any custom uke for me will get an end pin at least.

Btw, this uke leash is really totally cool! What a great idea :D

Regards
Wilfried

Welcome to UU Wilfried!!
Are you the Wilfried Welti who created that wonderful Beginner's Solo Ukulele Tab Book? A million thanks for such a great collection! I am always recommending it to those interested in fingerpicking tabs.
–Lori

Hi Lori!

You're welcome -- Yes it's me :) -- and I even introduced myself in the "New Member Introductions" thread :cool:

Best Regards
Wilfried

I think it comes with experience. The chord transition you mention for example, Em to Dm, I dont fully release the the ring finger, as I use it for both chords on the same string. As you gain more experience you will notice you can move fingers in different sequences while still being quick enough to change the chord between strummings or pickings. This way you never have to fully release the neck.

Also might be an overkill detail i bring up, but how do you use your thumb? the thumb supports the uke a lot while I play.

Top Bottom