Kiwaya bamboo Paulee

I would be interested in hearing that too. I really like the look of that...

I like these Pauleles but of course I sell em:) They are made very well, come with an awesome well padded uke bag with the Paulele logo on it. The sound is uptight and outa'site! They have 2 models at the moment a cut-away and a standard. We were the first to carry this brand back in June and they have stood up well.
Pono will be bringing a bamboo model in 2011 in soprano, concert and tenor with ebony fingerboard, binding and all sorts of fanciness! Will be premiering at the winter NAMM show along with other models like an all rosewood model.

How does the Paulele compare to the KS-1 in tone, build, quality, etc.....?

How do they do in very dry climates? Any anecdotal info? Thank you.

I think they should hold up as well as any wood instrument in a dry climate.
Bamboo is really tough, I had a sample of bamboo flooring that I turned into a drink coaster over a year ago and hasn't become swollen or crumbled. Now I don't suggest using a Paulele as a boat paddle or abuse it any way but the bamboo should handle most environments with proper care.

How does the Paulele compare to the KS-1 in tone, build, quality, etc.....?
The Paulele is a well made, quality instrumentl. It has an arched back, geared tuners, extended neck and comes standard with that primo padded bag. Both sound really great. The tone of the bamboo is quite full with plenty of volume.
Both are fine instruments. The tuners on the KS-1 are really nice and of course it has a different sound.
Pauleles are not Kiwayas but are distributed through Kiwaya USA.

Uke Republic, are you sure it has an extended neck? I was under the impression that on the cutaway model additional frets have been squeezed in on an ordinary sized fret board, whereas the figure eight model has twelve frets to the body? Maybe you could give us the measurements ?

How do they do in very dry climates? Any anecdotal info? Thank you.

I can't speak for the Paulele, but our bamboo ukes seem to tolerate the dryness as well or better than wood.

Swervy Jervy, since you're in Laramie, do you know Bevan Frost of Big Hollow Guitars? Builds awesome traditional small bodies.

Uke Republic, are you sure it has an extended neck? I was under the impression that on the cutaway model additional frets have been squeezed in on an ordinary sized fret board, whereas the figure eight model has twelve frets to the body? Maybe you could give us the measurements ?

The standard has 7" from nut to body, 16 frets total Cutaway has 7 3/4" with the 14th fret @ body 19 total frets

Thanks, UkeRepublic, for the details that feed our UAS.

I too am interested in the Paulele but I waver between the 12 and 14 fret models, not
having played either yet.

I'm mostly a strummer/singers so the longer neck may not be necessary. I'm thinking
of making the 14 fret model into a low G uke, hoping that the additional 3/4" would add
to the mellow-ness of a low G. Any thoughts about this? Any recommendations?

Thanks again and keep uke'in',

I just cant wait till the tenor version is available.

Thanks, UkeRepublic, for the details that feed our UAS.

I too am interested in the Paulele but I waver between the 12 and 14 fret models, not
having played either yet.

I'm mostly a strummer/singers so the longer neck may not be necessary. I'm thinking
of making the 14 fret model into a low G uke, hoping that the additional 3/4" would add
to the mellow-ness of a low G. Any thoughts about this? Any recommendations?

Thanks again and keep uke'in',

Either would work fine with a low G Uncle Rod, can I call you uncle?:) They come standard with Aquila nylguts but I bet a set of Freemonts with a low G would work really well too.

I can't speak for the Paulele, but our bamboo ukes seem to tolerate the dryness as well or better than wood.

Swervy Jervy, since you're in Laramie, do you know Bevan Frost of Big Hollow Guitars? Builds awesome traditional small bodies.

I met Bevan at a party a couple years ago and I don't really know him. Top drawer luthier, of course. That's a good idea to contact him about building a uke but likely a long-shot. His bread-and-butter guitars sell for $4K and I think there's a waiting list. A local uke builder I'm interested in is Bean Sprout, just down the road in Colorado.

The reason that I asked the question about the bamboo and low humiditiy was that Pono was mentioned. The go-to pro shop in Denver for ukes and stringed instruments told me they stopped carrying the Pono traditional wooden line because the instruments were experiencing problems with the climate. Just rang a bell with me.

Thanks.

Mike sorry but it is not a true extended neck All they did was move the neck up to get the extended frets and place a cutaway to get more access. both are still 13-5/8" scale the additional frets come from moving the bridge higher up on the body. yes you do get additional 3/4" fretbaord before the body so in that way it is extended but not scale or lengthwise in a true sense

Top Bottom