Using a Mac as an amp for the electric ukulele

truthseeker674

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new here. I just got a Cordoba electric-acoustic ukulele. My music teacher says that I need to get an amp to use the electric side of my uke. The thing is I'm a cheapo and don't want to buy yet another expensive item. I've read that electric guitar players have used their Macs as amps using cables and garageband. Has anyone done that with their electric uke? Do I need any special cables? Any info would be appreciated.

s

Last I knew, Felicia Collins (guitar on Late Show with David Letterman) was using a Mac laptop and protools for all her guitar sounds and effects.

Hey All,

I'm new here. I just got a Cordoba electric-acoustic ukulele. My music teacher says that I need to get an amp to use the electric side of my uke. The thing is I'm a cheapo and don't want to buy yet another expensive item. I've read that electric guitar players have used their Macs as amps using cables and garageband. Has anyone done that with their electric uke? Do I need any special cables? Any info would be appreciated.

s

I hook my Eleuke to my Mac using GarageBand for recording. You need a cable with a 3.5mm male mono plug at one end (to plug into the microphone-in jack on the Mac) and the male plug that your 'uke needs at the other (1/4" male mono plug is standard for Eleukes & most electric guitars, etc.).

This works fine for recording, but amplification? I'm not sure what you're after, since the Mac has minimal speakers.

Both ends of the cable need to be monaural, not stereo. The plug that goes into the Mac looks very much like the one on earbuds, but it is monaural.

In my experience, it's cheaper to get a standard guitar cable, which is 1/4" at both ends (~$10), and get a 1/4 - to - 3.5mm adapter (~$5).

Aloha S,
Welcome to the UU and the forums..get yourself a honeytone amp for $19.95 and cheap cable from Musicians friend...Have fun and enjoy!!! Happy strummings...Happy New Year!! MM Stan..

Top Bottom