National Triolian Ukulele

grownupboy

Reaction score
Hey all!

Anybody see and/or play one of the National Triolian ukes?

http://nationalguitars.com/instruments/uketriolian/triolian.html

I'm loving the look but I wonder how tough an all metal body would be to hold while playing. Anyone have any experience with metal body Nationals even if they're not the Triolian model?

If you're lucky enough to have a Triolian how about posting a little vid an showing it off? :)

karl

I have the National flamed maple concert, so I can only chime in half-way. The Nationals have strap buttons installed, so that could help with holding, but the resonator plate is a little cold to the touch, especially in winter. I think the Triolian has paint over it, so it probably has a little texture to grip on you body.

hi grownupboy

I've been courting one of the reissue National Triolian ukes for more than 12 months now. Actually, as an aside, I saw one of the original 30's models go on ebay a couple of months back for over 2 grand.

If it was a looks contest, I have no doubt this one would win. But after comparing some sound samples between steel bodied and wood bodied resonator ukes, I went for the warmer sound of the wood bodied ones, and bought a Mya Moe Mango reso instead.

Can't comment honestly about the sound of the triolian, as I've not played one.

I know Jim D'ville has just bought a new steel bodied National resonator and it sounds amazing...like vehement said, the strap buttons make performing with them pretty comfortable

I've got one on its way to me. I'll let you know when it arrives.:D:D:D

I have an original 30's triolian that sounds and feels great. Lots of volume, nice on a summer evening as it is cold to the touch. I haven't compared it to a reissue triolian, but I recently I have acquired a fairly new National maple resonator from a senior member here on UU. I can barely put the thing down, love the tone and playability. You can't go wrong on the modern repro's, they are spendy, but tone and playability keep drawing me back to the newer national.

I received mine today, and like Resonator99, I'm having trouble putting it down! Great tone and nice low action. Swapped the high g out for a low G, which I prefer for "noodling" my blues licks. I've never had the chance to try an original, but have played a couple other NRPs at the Toronto music store that stocks Nationals (12fth Fret on Danforth).

Top Bottom