What amp do you use?

vacuousnacho

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering because I just used my X-mas money to buy a mi-si pick up and I'm trying to decide what amp I should start saving my money for so I'm curious what amps ya'll use?

I absolutely love my Roland AC33. It's expensive but it sounds amazing...plus it can run on batteries so you can play whenever, wherever.

I play electric guitar as well as uke, and couldn't afford a decent acoustic amp just for my ukes, so I play into a Laney P20 for both instruments; it has so many settings to model pretty much any sound. I found it works fine when I use a Schaller Oyster 'stick-on' pickup on my acoustic ukes.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=p20

I've never understood buying a dedicated acoustic amp and greatly prefer powered PA speakers.

I bought the QSC K10 and haven't used my Bose L1 since. Which is saying something when you consider that you could buy three QSCs for the price of one of Bose. And if you're only running your uke & vox through it, you could easily get away with the smaller-lighter-cheaper QSC K8.

Make it a Mustang!

Very happy with my new Mustang 1 Fender amp. I have both electric and acoustic ukes and it works well with all of them. Loaded with features and effects... has a lot of power... small size and under $100. It's awesome. VERY happy with it! I use a Fishman Solo for my appearances... love it too... but pretty price for an every day amp! Hope this helps you. By the way... I have a MiSi in my ukes... works very well with the Mustang!
Hey guys, I'm wondering because I just used my X-mas money to buy a mi-si pick up and I'm trying to decide what amp I should start saving my money for so I'm curious what amps ya'll use?

I've never understood buying a dedicated acoustic amp and greatly prefer powered PA speakers.

I bought the QSC K10 and haven't used my Bose L1 since. Which is saying something when you consider that you could buy three QSCs for the price of one of Bose. And if you're only running your uke & vox through it, you could easily get away with the smaller-lighter-cheaper QSC K8.

I used to use a Bose L1 Classic. I play several instruments and sing as a solo performer so I do find PAs a better choice. Although I found the Bose sound phenominal, it really wasn't any lighter to carry plus you needed at least one bass cabinet to round out the sound. I decided to try the Bose L1 Compact. There were mixed reviews when it first came out but it is extremely light and portable and sets up in 5 minutes. Although it lacks a little in the bottom end from the full size L1, I find it quite good for a single performer like myself and get many compliments on the even sound it produces all over the room.

I have a MiSi in one of my tenors, and I've got a Vox DA5 for at home, and a small little Honeytone to travel with. But to be honest with you, I never use either. I just plug my uke into the Amplitube app on my iPad.

It kind of depends what you need it for. Portable, high-end, power? If your pickup and preamp setup gets a good signal to the input, a PA might be your best bet. If you are close, but still need a bit of tone doctoring, a dedicated acoustic amp will clean things up an amazing amount. If you want to plug in for plug-ins sake and go bananas with effects and distortion, go with the micro cube or vox. That said, I have a Roland AC-90 and it makes my K&K Big Spot sound great.

It kind of depends what you need it for. Portable, high-end, power? If your pickup and preamp setup gets a good signal to the input, a PA might be your best bet. If you are close, but still need a bit of tone doctoring, a dedicated acoustic amp will clean things up an amazing amount. If you want to plug in for plug-ins sake and go bananas with effects and distortion, go with the micro cube or vox. That said, I have a Roland AC-90 and it makes my K&K Big Spot sound great.

I'm really just looking to amplifty it maybe for busking or at open mic nights mostly so I'm not really looking for alot of effects. I think I might try to find and acoustic amp but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks everyone for sharing I'll definitely be looking into all of these.

I plug into PA for smaller gigs, into PA for church. For larger settings, my best amplified sound comes from my Fishman Loudbox amp.
(Actually, the Loudbox gives the best sound overall.)
I also use a Microcube on microphone or acoustic setting when I need just a little amplification,
or a 5 watt Gretsch tube amp - warm sound from that one.

After reading ricdoug's excellent threads on the subject of amplification, I chose a Vox DA5. It is reasonably priced and suits my needs just fine.

My wife got me one of these (VOX MINI3), a shure 58, and a desk mic stand.
More sound options than the Roland Cube, and can be battery powered as well.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/mini3/

Works great, is a very adorable little amp, has good sound options, and is small enough I can put it next to my computer desk.
I have a uke desk stand next to my computer and can just grab the uke, put the mic in front of my keyboard, click on the amp, and away I go into reverb land. :)

Cheers,
Skottoman

Another vote for the Vox Mini3. I'm a newbie at this, but so far I'm very happy with that choice. Can run uke, mp3/ipod and mic together, and if you need to you can take an output line from it into a bigger PA and just use the Mini3 for the tone, effects and mixing. Anyways, it's a great practice amp, will run on batteries if you need it to for busking or church, and has enough power for busking so long as you don't pick too big a space to busk in.

Roland Cube Street. 2 channel. effects. plug in or batteries. Great for open mic.

I got myself a roland cube 20 xl yesterday. it has 6 diffrent amp sims including a acoustic sim and tons of other effects. wich is what I bought the eleuke for.

I really want to look into the Marshall acoustic amps. I've heard sweet delay and reverb from those. Auditioning them is a bit problematic though. In the meantime, I've got a Vox DA5, an Orange Crush Micro, and then there's the tube amp that my husband has for his guitar.

Top Bottom