PDA

View Full Version : As 2010 year's end draws near, What did you end up with?

kissing
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
*EDIT* I MEAN 2010 >_< !@#! I blame UAS !! I would appreciate it if any member of staff would be so kind to edit the title to 2010 please ~

Hehe 2 ukes arrived today : )
Blue Eleuke bought from a UU member (thanks Chuck!) and a new 8-string strat Uke (DGBE, DG strings octave tuned)..

Darn these are fun!!
The 8 string's killing my fingers, but it sounds so rich : D
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/P311210_1320.jpg

And I thought, since 2010 draws to an end, I should take a group photo while I have all the ukes I'll have for a while (my dad says... "If any more ukes arrive, I'm gonna go ahead and donate them away!").

Maybe its an indicator you have too many ukes if you have trouble fitting them into one photo.

Acoustics
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/P311210_1327.jpg
Legacy Baritone, Oscar Schmidt OU5CCE (acoustic electric baritone), Kala KA-CE (acoustic electric concert), Mahalo Les Paul acoustic electric, Mahalo UK220E acoustic electric (It's in an unplayable state, but still part of the family for photos I guess)

Electrics
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/P311210_132302.jpg
8 String Baritone Strat, Risa Les Paul style Tenor (DGBE tuning), Risa Electric Tenor (DGBE tuning), Tenor Eleuke (GCEA)

And here's an attempt to cram them into one photo:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/P311210_133003.jpg

So where has 2010 left you with ukes.
It left me sicker than ever with UAS >_<!!!

UKISOCIETY
12-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Dude. Check yer calender. ;)

mm stan
12-30-2010, 04:51 PM
As for 2009 and 2010 my UAS....left me with an empty bank account...any others??

vacuousnacho
12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Dude, sweet collection, I'm really diggin the Risa's especially.

Lexxy
12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
And i thought someone bumped the same thread up from a year ago :O

kissing
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Ah sorry, I was suffering the symptom of UAS that causes you to forget what year you're living in >_< Oops!!

sukie
12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I ended up with a Moore Bettah. I've had it for 2 months and it's starting to open up. Wow! Best item of the year for me. May as well sleep through 2011. I'm cured.

vacuousnacho
12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
And i thought someone bumped the same thread up from a year ago :O

Haha, that's what I thought too actually.

vacuousnacho
12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
What do those little graffitis on your Risa's mean, Kissing?

wickedwahine11
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
*EDIT* I MEAN 2010 >_< !@#! I blame UAS !! I would appreciate it if any member of staff would be so kind to edit the title to 2010 please

Done, it now reads 2010. :)

GaryC1968
12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Ah sorry, I was suffering the symptom of UAS that causes you to forget what year you're living in >_< Oops!!

That 8-string baritone strat is sweet! Where did you find it?

bbycrts
12-30-2010, 06:08 PM
This year wasn't the wild acquire and dispose year that 2009 was. I really learned what I like and have stuck with it. I did dispose of a Lanikai LK-1S, and I acquired a concert mahogany Eleuke. That leaves me with three, plus a wallhanger with Jake's signature: Kanile'a K1 Soprano, Koloa mahogany Soprano, and Eleuke mahogany. That's it!

ytmr
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
The year I got into ukulele, and acquired 3. A Mahalo U30G, Kala KA-FMC, and an Eleuke ;D

Uncle Leroy
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
I just received my new Pono today!

Chris Tarman
12-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Let me think... In January I got a '20s Mouna Loa koa soprano with rope binding. In February, I got a Martin S-O soprano. In March, I got my late '20s or early '30s Martin Style 2. In May, I got a Flea and a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. In August, I got my '50s Martin Style 1. In September I got a Mainland mahogany soprano with Mi-Si pickup. And in December I got a cool green Harmony with a canoe and palm trees stenciled on it. Wow... when I look at it that way, I seem to have a major problem!
In 2011, I want some sort of custom soprano, something that looks like a Martin Style 3 (could be the custom, or could be a Kiwaya KTS-7... or if I'm lucky, an ACTUAL Martin Style 3!), and a banjo uke. That's all I can think of. I guess if the right Martin Style 0 came up... or a Gibson...

janeray1940
12-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Can't complain - this was a two-Kamaka year for me :)

peterp
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
In January, i bought a Martin 3C. In April, I bought a Kamaka pineapple soprano. In May, I bought a Moore Bettah concert. In September, I bought a Ko'olau soprano S-1. And Santa brought me a Moore Bettah soprano for Christmas. I've got a problem. Next year I sell the ones I don't play.

Lori
12-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Let me think... In January I got a '20s Mouna Loa koa soprano with rope binding. In February, I got a Martin S-O soprano. In March, I got my late '20s or early '30s Martin Style 2. In May, I got a Flea and a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. In August, I got my '50s Martin Style 1. In September I got a Mainland mahogany soprano with Mi-Si pickup. And in December I got a cool green Harmony with a canoe and palm trees stenciled on it. Wow... when I look at it that way, I seem to have a major problem!
In 2011, I want some sort of custom soprano, something that looks like a Martin Style 3 (could be the custom, or could be a Kiwaya KTS-7... or if I'm lucky, an ACTUAL Martin Style 3!), and a banjo uke. That's all I can think of. I guess if the right Martin Style 0 came up... or a Gibson...

I don't know... sounds like a good year to me!
–Lori

Lori
12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
In January, i bought a Martin 3C. In April, I bought a Kamaka pineapple soprano. In May, I bought a Moore Bettah concert. In September, I bought a Ko'olau soprano S-1. And Santa brought me a Moore Bettah soprano for Christmas. I've got a problem. Next year I sell the ones I don't play.

If you feel the need to relieve your guilt, I would be happy to find a good home for any of these ukes. Just trying to be helpful...

–Lori

marymac
12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
As for 2009 and 2010 my UAS....left me with an empty bank account...any others??

I'm with you Stan! I'm now too broke to do much but play em. Ah, the good life.

kissing
12-30-2010, 08:30 PM
What do those little graffitis on your Risa's mean, Kissing?
It's the title of an anime called "K-ON!", which is a story about music.
It translates to something like "Pop music club" or "Light music club", and it's about some highschool students who form something like a rock band as an afterschool activity.
I was into ukes before, but watching the series really inspired me to explore electric ukuleles, and here I am :D

Done, it now reads 2010.

Thanks! You really are a Super mod :D

That 8-string baritone strat is sweet! Where did you find it?

I found it while lurking on eBay.
Here's the listing (which has ended) but the seller (knownknight) seems to have them up regularly:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300504227218#ht_4389wt_1139

It's a fine instrument, though the string gauge is a bit high for my liking. I'll have to change strings to a less tense gauge.
Seems fairly well made, and price is good.

pdxuke
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
2010 was a building year for my collection:

Kiwaya KS1
Martin 48 O
Gretsch 30s
painted Harmony 50s
Kiwaya KTS4

I also re-homed a Bushman Jenny, Some Mainlands and a Fluke.

cb56
12-31-2010, 01:35 AM
2010 was the year that I decided that the uke was the instrument fo me! Ok, so I'm a late bloomer.
Bought a U Bass Then a tenor.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/cb56/Ukes/CBukes1.jpg
What will next year bring? Maybe a new tenor? Upgrade to something fancy or maybe get a travel uke? Depends on my bank account and what I decide I need to get next. Who knows?

guitharsis
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
2010 hmmm . . .

February KoAloha Soprano, Kamaka Soprano

October Kamaka Concert

and commissioned a Mike Pereira Concert spruce/Madagascar (completed waiting to receive)

2011 - in about 6 months - Brad Donaldson Amy Long Scale Concert:)

UKISOCIETY
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a cheap Makai spruce-top baritone. It's a very solid instrument and sounds great, even with the stock GHS strings on it. That one, the awesome Reggae Gecko from Mainland Ukes and the viol-uke I made are the highlights of the year. I'm assembling my 2nd viol-uke for my niece and it sounds pretty good!

SweetWaterBlue
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I bought one ukulele in 2009, and bought, or made, six in 2010. I am hoping to have only two or three by 2012, and learn to play them better.

OldePhart
12-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Hmmm, 2010 was my "starter year." Acquired a UBASS, then a Lanikai LU-21C concert, then a Lanikai LU-8E 8-string electric, then a Kala solid acacia pocket uke (was in NYC without a uke and needed something I could fit in my carry on - seemed like a good excuse at the time), then a KoAloha concert, then a Mainland mango tenor with MiSi. Oh, and a Lanikai LU-11 soprano for my granddaughter.

Now...having said that...I really must say, I don't have UAS. Really. I don't. I'll be selling the LU-8E soon because it was an experiment that showed me I just really don't care for 8-string ukes (which is why I bought the Mainland tenor to replace it). I'll probably sell the pocket uke because it is little more than a novelty for somebody with my fat fingers and I don't really travel that often. I might replace it with a Risa stick or something if traveling picks up again.

Probably will buy two ukes this coming year, possibly three. The concert banjo uke that Mainland just got in looks nice and I'm beginning to think I might have a use for a baritone uke or a low-g tenor - not sure yet. I've gotten rusty playing acoustic six string and even the Taylor is a bit hard on my hands these days, so maybe if I can find it a good home I might switch to a baritone uke or low-g tenor uke in its place. So, worst case I should finish out 2011 with seven ukes if I buy three and sell two.

It's more important that I start unloading electric guitars and amps. I'd like to thin the herd down to maybe one solid-body and one hollow-body, and get rid of at least three amps that are in climate-controlled storage right now.

And, yes, I am probably in denial... :biglaugh:

John

haole
12-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Bought a Makala Dolphin early on in the year, which is on loan to my cousin. Also scored a Fluke on FMM for a great price, and bought a Maui Music 6-string tenor from Peter Lieberman at the NY Uke Fest. :O Unfortunately, being back in school and having no job means probably no ukes for 2011 unless I sell off a couple guitars.

kenikas
12-31-2010, 07:48 PM

That made me laugh Stan! And I can definately relate, I went from 2 to 11 this year, but several were given to me and/or are repair - restoration projects so the cash outlay wasn't as bad as it might have been. You would think that would have cured my UAS, but it rages on unabated.

Lexxy
12-31-2010, 08:02 PM
3 ukes in a year.
Mahalo Soprano (cheap banging uke, although the intonation is..pretty darn sharp)
KPK concert (Modified it with tree of life stickers)
KoAloha Tenor (My main player! :) )

georgio
01-01-2011, 03:03 AM
2010 was my first year in Ukulele. I have only one at this point a Mainland Concert gloss and I am very pleased with it and my progress playing. Thanks again for that recommendation! :)

Nuprin
01-01-2011, 04:22 AM
Wow, this is going to be a pretty big list...

2009:
Kamaka tenor
Waverly St. concert banjolele
Makala Dolphin
Honu concert (sold)
Honu tenor (sold)
Kala 8-string (sold)
Kamaka soprano (sold)
Kanile'a concert (sold)
KoAloha soprano (sold)
Lanikai spalted mango concert (sold)
Mainland slotted head concert (sold)
Mele koa top (sold)
Pono cedar/macassar ebony tenor (sold)
Recording King resonator (sold)
Mainland Honeybee soprano (sold)
Oscar Schmidt OU2E (sold)
Fender Nohea (gifted)

2010:
MP Custom tenor
Boat Paddle concert
Kanile'a Custom Tenor
Flea soprano
Barefoot Boogie Cigar Box concert
Ohana sopranino (sold)
Epiphone Mandobird (sold)
KoAloha tenor (sold)
Makai maple soprano (sold)
Kala travel soprano (sold)
G-String longneck soprano (sold)
Slingerland MayBell soprano banjolele (sold)
Kiwaya K-Wave Tele (gifted)
Ibanez Iceman concert (gifted)
Makala baritone (gifted)
Ohana zebrawood soprano (gifted)

2011:
Mya Moe myrtle classic tenor (ETA: middle of January)
Moore Bettah tenor (ETA: June/July/August)

So I'm gradually getting a little better...I kept 3 of the 17 ukes I bought in 2009 and I kept 5 of the 16 I bought in 2010 (I would have kept the Slingerland banjolele as well but karma dictated I sell it back to the original owner). I'm pretty positive the Mya Moe and the Moore Bettah will be with me forever and will fulfill my ongoing UAS so, hopefully 2011 will be a low uke year for me.

heymak
01-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Just starting out myself. Got a Kala tenor and a dolphin for my wife, which she gave up on and is now mine as well. Really wish she would have liked it more. She likes to pick it up and play with it like a toy. She has schizophrenia which makes it hard to concentrate enough to learn it. Was really hoping it would be a sort of therapy.

Insight
01-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Started playing Ukulele with a Lanikai NK-T . Still learning I ordered a semi-custom Standard Kamaka Ukulele with grade 4A Koa wood and ebony fretboard (they cant do customs till they finish the Jake Models. I was lucky enough to pick it up in person, met the people who made it and even played their cigar-box ukulele after the tour.

I found this site and am on my way to learn :) !

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu130.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu132.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu135.jpg

I hope to learn a lot this next year!

janeray1940
01-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Started playing Ukulele with a Lanikai NK-T . Still learning I ordered a semi-custom Standard Kamaka Ukulele with grade 4A Koa wood and ebony fretboard (they cant do customs till they finish the Jake Models. I was lucky enough to pick it up in person, met the people who made it and even played their cigar-box ukulele after the tour.

I found this site and am on my way to learn :) !

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu130.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu132.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff61/Rhode_Island_Red/Canon%205D%20Mark%20II%20Test%20Pictures/Honolulu135.jpg

I hope to learn a lot this next year!

Your Kamaka is gorgeous. Thanks for showing us!

J_Tay81
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
I got a Ukulele Omnibus from my mom, and bought myself a banjolele from the '20's (that I'm refurbishing a bit), and an Ohana solid mahogany pineapple soprano.

Lori
01-01-2011, 07:16 PM
What I got in 2010:
bought late 2009, delivered 2010: Makapili Concert Pineapple
12 Dolphins (kept 3, gifted 9)
Concert neck Camp Flea (model for the Ukulele Calendar 2011: December )
On it's way, Mainland Concert Banjo Uke
On order: custom myrtle concert resonator Mya-Moe for early February 2011
These are in addition to what I already had from 2009 (first year 8 ukes)
–Lori