Case for Vintage Martin Style 0

Gmoney

Reaction score
Got a vintage Martin Style 0 from "strumsilly" & want to buy a good quality case for it. Suggestions? I'm thinking of getting a Ko'olau like my KoAloha soprano is in...

Hi

I have a Stagg tweed case for a 20's style 0, fits well. Handle is losing its "leather" skin already. Bought it together with a Chinese made soprano, so not sure what I paid for it..here's a similar product:
http://www.amazon.com/Stagg-Deluxe-Tweed-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B001G4Z49G
but they may have the wrong image, mine has a "waist" and only two latches.
It's nice looking and seems solid, but not top quality. Also it took a while for all the adhesives to outgas - I waited week or two of it sitting open before I put the Martin in it, didn't want the nasty chemicals to damage the instrument..

I have my Martin Style 1 in a Guardian Soprano case that I bought from amazon.com for about $60. I've been very happy with it, except the key that came with it doesn't fit the lock... not a big deal since I never lock my cases anyway. It fits the Martin perfectly, has a comfortable handle, and looks reasonably vintage. I bought a faux alligator case from Mainland for my Mainland soprano, and it also fits my Martins very nicely. It was a bit more ($70, I think), and also has that vintage look. The locks DO work on that one!

Oh! The Guardian case is on sale at amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Vint...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1293771854&sr=1-2
For that price, you really can't go wrong. In fact, I'm tempted to order a couple just in case I need them for future ukes! I think the one pictured is actually a tenor or concert case though. Mine only has two clasps rather than the three shown in the photo. Also, in reading the reviews of this case on amazon's site, they all mention a cheap hygrometer that falls out. Mine didn't have one. It hadn't fallen out, it was just never there. No hole where it's missing from, nothing. This is a GOOD thing! I don't know if mine was an older one, or a newer one. I'm perfectly happy to not risk having a hygrometer fall onto the headstock of my cased vintage Martin!

Last edited:
Good find! Shipping is free if you go direct to Musician's Friend..I'm picking one up preemptively. UCAS

I have a nice vinyl hard case with thick plush inside...from Finale Corp...P.O Box 8868 Honolulu Hawaii 96830 Tele...808-255-3839 Email: Finalecorp@Gmail.com
Sturdy built and heavy side...MM Stan..

GREAT!!! I just bought two myself! Thanks!

Just a note - this case, while certainly sturdy for my needs, has a few defects that require some minor & some not-so-minor adjustments to fit most soprano's.

1. The case latches do not exactly meet well & needed some bending to properly align.
  2. The center neck support MUST be taken out & cut down substantially!

For #1, the top & bottom parts of the latch didn't match up as well as they should so I had to pry out the part of the top of the latch that engages w/the bottom a bit to properly latch the case.

For #2 - there is another thread which mentions this defect - you have to remove two screws, remove the center support, unwrap some of the velvet from the bottom of the support, cut off about 3/4 inch or so of the support & glue the velvet back to the modified support. Otherwise, this support makes the uke too high to close the case w/uke in it.

Last edited:
you have to remove two screws, remove the center support, unwrap some of the velvet from the bottom of the support, cut off about 3/4 inch or so of the support & glue the velvet back to the modified support. Otherwise, this support makes the uke too high to close the case w/uke in it.

I had to do this too. Not a huge project, the support is a styrofoam-veneer sandwich that cuts easily, but weird to have to tear apart something new to make it work as intended. Maybe the good price is associated with a bad batch of cases? For me the case would close, but the uke's neck was flush with the upper cover, lifting the body up from the floor of the case. Modified, it fits fine, but the neck rests on the door to the inner compartment. Less than ideal. Still a great price for a case, and an OK fit for a vintage martin. My latches line up fine, but the vinyl cover has a funky ripple on it. Once again, you get what you pay for.

Check out " Gator " cases. I have two and if I buy another case it will be a "Gator"

Top Bottom