String and nut question.

phoenix.stu

Reaction score
String and nut question / EDIT: New problem

Maybe I am just being paranoid or just a big fat newbie. LOL. Anyway, as you know I just got my first uke and I am still learning certain things.
I have recently noticed that the C string seems to ring out louder and longer than the rest of my strings so I started looking at it a bit since(to me) it didn't sound quite right(as in different than the others). The tone and all seems fine just what I noticed is where the strings sit on the nut. The GEA sits somewhat flush however, the C string does not(it somewhat protrudes above the nut). I was wondering if this was the cause in what I was describing above or if this was normal.

Here is a pic, so that you can see. Sorry if it is big. I just wanted you to see what I was describing. I am curious if I should worry about this and/or take it back to have it fixed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

dsc00127fm2.jpg

Last edited:
You're C string is the heaviest (and lowest tension), so it's going to have the most resonance. You're nut should be fine, as the C has to sit higher to have the same fret clearance as the rest of the strings due to the greater diameter of the string.

Two thoughts:

1. You may need to adjust the way you're striking the strings with your right hand (not a criticism, just a thought). You may be primarily hitting the lower strings (G,C) and coming off before your strum through the rest. I might suggest slowly strumming a C chord and vary the way you attack the strings with your right hand (angles, pressure, etc.) so see what works.

2. I'm assuming that the instrument in your signature is the one in the close up shot...in which case it's a G-String. :) You should call/email the guys at G-String with any concerns. I hear their customer service is fabulous.

-John

Good point. I will definitely take a closer look at the way I strum. No criticism taken. I am a total newb.
What I do notice is that the full chord plays however, I seem to be connecting with the top strings the hardest and not really a smooth transition between all of the strings. That could be a big portion of the problem. My upstroke seems fine, it is my down stroke that I need to work on I suppose.

Yes, it is a G-String and the same one in my sig. Thanks for the info on that. I will contact them as well however, I believe that you are correct.

Thanks again. :)

Ok, sorry for the double post however, it is a little different now.

After carefully trying to study my strumming like mentioned above, I noticed a new problem. Concerning the same C string, there is a buzzing. The sound seems to be coming from around the saddle area. Here is a quick vid of it. Of course, tomorrow I will take it in however, does anyone have an idea of why it would do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZh5wqGQZXs

Thanks.

Ok, sorry for the double post however, it is a little different now.

After carefully trying to study my strumming like mentioned above, I noticed a new problem. Concerning the same C string, there is a buzzing. The sound seems to be coming from around the saddle area. Here is a quick vid of it. Of course, tomorrow I will take it in however, does anyone have an idea of why it would do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZh5wqGQZXs

Thanks.

no idea but it must be frustrating to have a nice ukulele like that and have the buzz.

How old are your strings?

Could you hear the buzzing? Yes, very irritating.:(

They are the original strings that came with the uke. I have a set of Aquilla's however, I thought I would play on the originals for a bit first.
I checked with G-String after I bought it and it was made in Feb. this year and when I bought it the clerk said that they were Hilo strings. I am not sure if they are shipped with strings or not. If they are then they should only be about 4 to 5mo. old.

Should I try and change them before I take it in to be looked at??

A point to rememeber is that although I did hear the buzz several times but he had to pluck the string abnormally hard to try and show the sound That is not the way to test for buzzes in my opinion but to play as if you normally would,,,if it is buzzing then thats a problem,,,. i can make almost any string buzz with hard plucking trying to get the string to arc enough to buzz.

One of the more distinguished members here suggested giving a nice pull on the string to change its length and tension a bit, then retune and check. If it's still there, you might try changing strings (this could actually just solve the problem, just no guarantee until you try it) but since you got it so recently why don't you just check with the store? They have a reputation to keep up and probably a small army of technically capable people in the repair shop. That way you keep your strings and they get to handle the trouble.

/too late hah. Those forum junkies are fast. Hope the string change helps. If not, you are in the most service-friendly country this side of the moon. Ah, and what MGM says, be gentle on the strumming. ;) Getting a decent, stable strum actually seems more difficult than on a guitar for some reason. Lower string tension maybe.

Last edited:
A point to rememeber is that although I did hear the buzz several times but he had to pluck the string abnormally hard to try and show the sound That is not the way to test for buzzes in my opinion but to play as if you normally would,,,if it is buzzing then thats a problem,,,. i can make almost any string buzz with hard plucking trying to get the string to arc enough to buzz.

One reason behind that was that I was not sure that the camera mic would pick up the buzz for you to hear. Even when I pluck it normally, it does it as well. Another thing, even if I plucked the same way with the other strings it does not do that.

One of the more distinguished members here suggested giving a nice pull on the string to change its length and tension a bit, then retune and check. If it's still there, you might try changing strings (this could actually just solve the problem, just no guarantee until you try it) but since you got it so recently why don't you just check with the store? They have a reputation to keep up and probably a small army of technically capable people in the repair shop. That way you keep your strings and they get to handle the trouble.

/too late hah. Those forum junkies are fast. Hope the string change helps. If not, you are in the most service-friendly country this side of the moon ;)

I will give that a try first with the stretching. Even if it doesn't work, I am looking forward to the sound of the Aquilla's

Last edited:
I started to develop a buzzing C string on my uklectic. It usually wouldn't buzz with just normal playing..... usually. The strings were Kekani's archnemesis of strings. ;) I changed brands, and wow, no buzz. Problem solved. The buzz wasn't there when I got it, it just developed over time so I really had little doubt it was the string.

Sometimes the simple solutions really do work. :)

Archnemesis. . . I like that. Of course, don't get me too wrong, those strings work for many players, just like steroids really do work - kidding, bad analogy. They just don't work well for me (and most others I know - of course, I don't know too many people).

Personally, I've found there are so many better options. Here's an example: MGM will readily install those strings on his lower end `ukulele, but not necessarily his higher end ones. I'll let the cat out of the bag - Savarez seems to be his favorite. Of course, at $12 a set (for the set that I put together), he won't be stringing any $100 instruments wtih them anytime soon. I'm a cheapie, so D's it is (not - Savarez finds its way there more often than not).

In phoenix's situation, I'd keep the Hilo's - James Hill uses them (so I've heard) on his G-String, or go with the D's (since they have Pro Arte sets for `ukulele now).

Top Bottom