Resolutions?

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
Usually I'm not a big resolution guy, but this year I have set some "goals". Most of them are somewhat common, but some are not.

1. Lose weight. Just signed up for the UU biggest loser
2. Become a better ukulele player, play higher up on the fretboard
3. Take singing lessons. In the event that I don't get much better at playing the uke, at least something will improve.
4. Come out of the ukulele closet. In other words, play for my friends and family:)
5. Go for a walk on the beach at least once a week, even in winter
6. Control my UAS

OK. What's yours?

I have never before made a resolution. Basically because they are usually broken by March by anyone I have ever known to make one. But this year, is the 1st year I have made one, and am determined to keep it. In 2011, I WILL loose minimum of 150 lbs from 01/01/11 - 12/31/11. I WILL be more active, and healthier than I have been in 15 years. I AM going to take my life back from poor health.

That said, I have already lost 85 lbs in 2010, and the next 150 will come off in 2011. Only leaving me about 60 or so left to loose in 2012. (Yeah, I have had, and still have ALLOT to loose).

Anyway. I have heard about the UU biggest looser thing, but don't know how to join. How do you join up for that, I wouldn't want to miss it..

In no particular order;
Perform in public at least once a month
Record a cd of traditional Hawaiian slack key guitar and ukulele instrumentals for my 15 month old nephew
Lose 10-15 pounds with activity and portion control
Hug/hold my wife more
Live in the Heart

Regards,
Ray

My main resolution? Lose weight! :)

Always loose weight, exercise, eat better, meditate, yogo. But sadly this year I was way too nice too myself and I am in too much debt so 2011, this is a BIG one. No purchases of personal items. No shoes, no clothes, no jewlery, no UKULELES. I just bought two this month so I ponder... Should I buy a cedar top. I have 18 more hours. New tennis/walking shoes, hurry quick 17 hours and 58 minutes. A flahsy uke, I do not have a flashy uke 17 hours and 57 minutes. I don't have a Mainland. A Mainland cedar top! 17 hrs and 56 minutes.

Roxhum

That said, I have already lost 85 lbs in 2010, and the next 150 will come off in 2011. Only leaving me about 60 or so left to loose in 2012. (Yeah, I have had, and still have ALLOT to loose).

Anyway. I have heard about the UU biggest looser thing, but don't know how to join. How do you join up for that, I wouldn't want to miss it..

Congratulations Tudor. That is huge and you should be very proud of yourself. Lifestyle changes are so hard to make and essentially our lifes depend on those changes. We do indeed have a lot to loose and so much to gain. Good luck to you and God bless, Roxhum

After so many years of never achieving my New Year Resolutions, my resolution this year is to cover my walls in velcro, and you know what, this year I plan to stick to it!

Thanks, and I am also proud of myself, because I was sitting around waiting to die, because as large as I am, I didn't think I had any other options. I had an awesome trainer at the obiesity clinic that showed me, there ARE things I can do to get better. She taught me what I needed to learn to get healthy and take my life back. She was a huge blessing to me. I originally planned to go the gastric bypass route, but for some reason, that never felt right. No offense to those who go that route, because they have to make the personal decision to save their life whatever that is. But I felt for me, God didn't want me to change his design, and that I should, and CAN loose over 300 lbs naturally by lifestyle changes. That is the way I have been going, and not looking back.

Does anybody know how I can join the UU biggest looser thing?

I have never before made a resolution. Basically because they are usually broken by March by anyone I have ever known to make one. But this year, is the 1st year I have made one, and am determined to keep it. In 2011, I WILL loose minimum of 150 lbs from 01/01/11 - 12/31/11. I WILL be more active, and healthier than I have been in 15 years. I AM going to take my life back from poor health.

Aloha Tudorp and Roxanne,
To join the biggest loser contest..go to the top right of the page and in the advanced search and type in ..biggest Loser Contest.....that should do it....Good Luck!! MM Stan..

I dont mean to hyjack..

But it was mentioned, and I would like to add. A few years ago, I went cold turkey for awhile and was determined to get out of debt. Debt is just way too stressful, the root of many family arguments, and just all around not a good thing to have looming over your head.

Anyway, going without is WAY worth it to aim towards the goal of debt free living. It was hard several years ago, but today, especially in the economy the way it is, AND being disabled on a fixed income. I never would have been able to make ends meet if I didn't get myself and my family out of debt a few years ago. I don't make much money, being on disability. But, I am doing fine, because today, I owe no one, anything. I own my own home. I own my vehicles, and everything I have. I live simple, and if I buy something, and can't pay cash for it, I don't buy it until I can pay cash for it. I am totally out of debt, and you can NOT put a price on the feeling of freedom that entails. The only debts we pay is our home and auto insurance, and our utilites we use each month. So, if you don't have any plans for a resolution, Make it (as long as you mean it) to GET OUT OF DEBT. Life is good without debt looming over your head. It's a worthwhile resolution, and you will live happy when you are. Live within, or below your means. Simplify..

God Bless

Thanks, and I am also proud of myself, because I was sitting around waiting to die, because as large as I am, I didn't think I had any other options. I had an awesome trainer at the obiesity clinic that showed me, there ARE things I can do to get better. She taught me what I needed to learn to get healthy and take my life back. She was a huge blessing to me. I originally planned to go the gastric bypass route, but for some reason, that never felt right. No offense to those who go that route, because they have to make the personal decision to save their life whatever that is. But I felt for me, God didn't want me to change his design, and that I should, and CAN loose over 300 lbs naturally by lifestyle changes. That is the way I have been going, and not looking back.

Does anybody know how I can join the UU biggest looser thing?

This is wonderful! I wish you the best of luck, and it sounds like you're well on your way. You've come so far already!

My resolution this year is to spend less. Over the last year, I wrote down every single purchase and expense, every day, for 365 days. When I went over everything last night, it was very eye-opening. I realized that I have two big weaknesses: 1) my pets (I'd rather buy for them than for myself); and 2) "big" items. This past year I bought a Kamaka soprano, a Pono tenor, a 150 gallon aquarium, and a canoe. Unfortunately I can't continue doing stuff like that. ;) Luckily I don't want or need anything right now that I don't already have, so I'll be able to start the new year off right. I can't guarantee I won't keep buying stuff for my pets, though. They make me happy. :)

Tudorp, I have great respect for you for you good attitude and your stength and determination to loose that much weight. I know the gastric bypass is a personal choise but like you it seems that these wonderful bodies of ours were so brilliantly constructed why mess with perfection if you don't absolutely have to and I believe the end result will be even greater health for you.

You go! Roxhum
Sorry I don't know about the UU biggest looser thing but I could stand to loose 50 pounds myself.

Great job tudorp! Keep it going.

Ukulelehill has a link to the UU biggest loser signup in his signature in this thread, right below the picture of his beautiful baby girl.

You're going to do great, Tudorp. Congrats on making a HUGE (no pun intended) commitment to lifestyle change!

I set my own goals a lot lower. This year, I resolve to change the strings on my ukes at least once.

I can't guarantee I won't keep buying stuff for my pets, though. They make me happy. :)[/QUOTE]

It may make you happy to buy stuff for your corgis but I stopped buying for mine and they never even noticed as long as they get to go places with me and get a belly rub at the end of the day they really don't care about anything else.

Turdor thanks for your talk on getting debt free, I needed to hear that and Natalie you are a brave woman to take such a close look at what you bought this year. That is scarier than stepping on the scale.

Roxhum

Here's the thing about New Year's resolutions... or any goal, for that matter. It has to be "SMART":

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time-related

Not to jump on anyone's case here, but I'm seeing a lot of "loose weight" types of statements. A good goal, but... how much weight? By when?

Or if you want to "get better at ukulele," well... how will you measure that? What specific milestones do you want to hit? And by when?

Just a thought. (Me? I'm still trying to come up with my resolutions.:cool:)

JJ

Mine seem simple but we'll see.

1. Be happier and see the positive side of things first
2. Lose twenty pounds
3. Be smarter with money
4. Assemble a group with Uke, bass and percussion and PLAY,PLAY,PLAY

Awesome point. You need to put steaks in the ground rather than just saying it. I even write my goals, timeframes, measures down. Seeing it in writting, makes you more serios about it. It's kinda a contract with yourself, so your more dedicated to honor it. All my weight loss, and future weight loss goals are in writting, as well as my daily food menu and caloric intake. In writting, in my face every waking moment. Its all about personal accountability. You have to be accountable for your goals. Its better if you put others as your cops and be accountable to them. For instance the UU Biggest Looser contest. All who enter it, are held accountable by the others in it. Accountability is huge in meeting goals, either to your self, or better yet, your peers. Just sayin..

Awesome point. You need to put steaks in the ground rather than just saying it. I even write my goals, timeframes, measures down. Seeing it in writting, makes you more serios about it. It's kinda a contract with yourself, so your more dedicated to honor it. All my weight loss, and future weight loss goals are in writting, as well as my daily food menu and caloric intake. In writting, in my face every waking moment. Its all about personal accountability. You have to be accountable for your goals. Its better if you put others as your cops and be accountable to them. For instance the UU Biggest Looser contest. All who enter it, are held accountable by the others in it. Accountability is huge in meeting goals, either to your self, or better yet, your peers. Just sayin..

I agree.. it it the way to success.. I have lost and need to finish.. I use Lose it.. on my ipod touch, also for iphone. It is easy way see it all you can also have 'friends' on there as well.. You goals, success's, food and exercise all rolled up into one place..

Congrats on you weight loss and success so far...Doesn't it feel good?! Good luck everyone...

As far as resolutions I keep all my goals written down all the time in a journal some are simple some are more detailed.. I don't necessarily have resolutions ...
This year I want to get better at the uke.. and push through some fears...plus finish this weight loss.. and start writing my thesis by the end of this year. Just a few things..

Good luck to everyone. Truth is I just want to be a better person....

Top Bottom