About To Pull The Trigger On A GoldTone Banjolele. Need Definitive Advice!!!!

Papa Tom

Reaction score
OK, so it turns out there's yet ANOTHER post-Christmas miracle I didn't mention in my previous post.

After tallying all the unused Amazon gift cards I've received over the past couple of years, it turns out I'm exactly $90 short of the GoldTone banjolele I think I want. I've known this for a few weeks and I've been trying like hell to justify reaching into my own pocket for the ninety bucks, considering I've been severely underemployed for about two years.

Yesterday, I went down to traffic court to pay what I strongly felt was an unjustified $105 parking ticket. When I arrived at the window and presented the ticket, the clerk advised me that the violation had been dismissed and all I owed was a $15 administrative fee. Coincidentally, I left the courthouse with exactly $90 I wouldn't have had otherwise.

If you read my previous post, you'd probably agree that someone or something is trying to make me buy the banjolele I've wanted for so long, so today, I'm just about ready to bite. Now I need some real solid advice, given that so many of you seem to have purchase banjo ukes in the past few weeks.

Unfortunately, because I need to pay for this with Amazon gift cards, my only choice is GoldTone. I probably will not play it enough or play it WELL enough to justify spending $315, but that's the way it is.

GoldTone just came out with a soprano model (BUS), which is the size ukulele I play. It appears to have a shorter neck than the other models, which is cool because I only know one position for every chord(!). It also appears to have a removable wooden resonator, which is good because I will be playing mostly "strum" style and many here have suggested I get an open-back for that.

So should I throw this thing in my danged shopping cart already and stop second-guessing myself? Will I be happy with the soprano size? Is the resonator actually removable? And is GoldTone a good company to deal with?

As noted above, please do not suggest that I try another brand. The only other instrument on Amazon that resembles a banjolele is the Cumbus for about fifty bucks. My guess is it's NOT something to consider!

I had a GZoldtone Banjolele (soprano, deluxe) and it was awesome. This is a slightly different model, but should be sweet.

Personally, I'd say it was meant to be. My less-logical, but more spiritual side says that you were shy of $90 and were presented with that exact amount for a reason. Call me nuts, but I don't believe in coincidences. That said, the Gold Tones i hear on You Tube are great sounding. The removable resonator is a great feature, too. It should quiet it down a bit in certain situations. Unless you are in dire need of the money for essentials (food, clothing, rent), I say go for it.

But that's me.

Reply to above

I've been researching for the past few weeks, listening to every sound bite, watching demos, reading reviews, etc.
I am ordering the Gold Tone BUS "Banjo Uke". Personally I like the uke sound/banjo sound balance of it. By most reports it is not as loud as the Banjolele or the Deluxe Banjolele. Guess that would make it a minimum of a "one door" instrument vs. a "two door" for the Banjolele or "three door" for the Deluxe Banjolele (# of closed doors between my practice room and my wife). I will admit that IF I learned to play the "Formby style", won the lottery to afford to go to a GFS convention, or if I played professionally, I'd get the Banjolele Deluxe. :D

Good luck making your decision!

Thanks, Uncle Tom. As noted in a follow-up post, I have placed my order for the BUS. It's good to know I'm not alone. Let's compare notes in a few weeks!

Papa Tom
(formerly Uncle Tom!)

Well, yes you did. Amazon no longer shows "1 in stock"! You beat me!
I'll continue my lessons on the "cheap" suprano uke I have until more in stock.(?) Never played a string instrument so learning for me a little slow, so no problem. (I'll probably change my name to something else too, just first thing that came to mind when I was signing-up to repond to your post.) Keep us up to date with your progress.

--Tom--

Shoot! I didn't realize I was stealing the candy out of your mouth! If it makes you feel any better, I spoke to Gold Tone today and THEY have a bunch in stock, so they should be replenishing Amazon soon, especially since I alerted them that I bought the last one. Sorry, man...

Top Bottom