PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Trends For 2011 ? Predictions?

cletus
12-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Any predictions for the ukulele world in the coming year? Will the uke continue to grow in popularity? Will ukulele prices go up? Will the banjo uke be a "hot new trend"? Will there be a cure for UAS?
What else can you think of happening?

:old:

Miss Michele
12-31-2010, 07:24 AM
The Ukulele and its community will RULE THE WORLD!!!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Then the world will be a happier place :)

pwcgecko
12-31-2010, 07:32 AM
I heard Kamakas are going up in price next year.

spots
12-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Ukes will continue to grow in popularity.
New laminates, with better tone, will start to be used.
We will see the introduction of the "super-supranino" - the only uke small enough to be both held, and played, in one hand.
The first plastic uke made from recycled milk cartons will be unveiled

ItsMrPitchy
12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
my predictions are the uke will continue to grow in popularity and the begginer ukes will carry on improving. I also hope that these bamboo ukes get popular since i am intrested in a tenor one.

ukeeku
12-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Martin will come out with a good uke
Bamboo is used more
Banjo ukes will be the craze (thanks to mainland making them awesome)
More really cheap ukes will surface that should be used more for fire wood than played and cost just under $100

janeray1940
12-31-2010, 08:00 AM
More really cheap ukes will surface that should be used more for fire wood than played and cost just under $100

I'm afraid you're going to be right about this. Sigh.

Mine is probably more of a wish list item than a trend, but what I'd like to see is for American public schools to have music as a part of the curriculum again, and for the ukulele to be integral to how it is taught, a la Langley. That can happen, right? Right??

cletus
12-31-2010, 08:23 AM
We will see the introduction of the "super-supranino" - the only uke small enough to be both held, and played, in one hand.

Nicely done!

:old:

hoosierhiver
12-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I think prices for most companies will rise due to the decreased value of the dollar against the yuan.

Lori
12-31-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm afraid you're going to be right about this. Sigh.

Mine is probably more of a wish list item than a trend, but what I'd like to see is for American public schools to have music as a part of the curriculum again, and for the ukulele to be integral to how it is taught, a la Langley. That can happen, right? Right??

That would be great!
–Lori

andywergedal
12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
someone will make a soprano ukulele that will be pretty good for under a $100, then when the vibe gets going will up the price.

Oh and there will be another hit song featuring a ukulele.

Ingrate
12-31-2010, 10:45 AM

Pops KoAloha already did this.

I predict that the used 'ukulele market will flourish and used 'uke prices will drop. Much like those treadmills, etc., that people get for XMas, then don't want. I'll get a Flea for <$100.

spots
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Pops KoAloha already did this.

Hmmmm, I think I need to rename mine then because I think Pops' was a sopranino with a longer neck, which is the opposite of what I see.

I predict the nano-sopranino will be introduced.

AzMichael
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
1. A clever marketing firm will use an ukulele in an ad campaign!

2. A clever marketing firm will not use an ukulele in an ad campaign!

~Michael

janeray1940
12-31-2010, 11:35 AM
Hmmmm, I think I need to rename mine then because I think Pops' was a sopranino with a longer neck, which is the opposite of what I see.

I predict the nano-sopranino will be introduced.

I think Ingrate was referring to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJctIMUnaw&feature=player_embedded

Uncle Leroy
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree with Hoosierhiver...The dollar is very weak against all currencies. I am getting my butt kicked living in Japan.

musicmonsterw
12-31-2010, 11:57 AM
1. A clever marketing firm will use an ukulele in an ad campaign!

2. A clever marketing firm will not use an ukulele in an ad campaign!

~Michael

You got all bases covered. You'll be at least 50% right.

musicmonsterw
12-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Predictions:

Ukulele sales will continue to grow and expand.
Prices will increase on ukuleles in general but there will be the introduction of many new lower end ukuleles to counteract the price increase.
Ukuleles will sneak even more into the mainstream of popular culture.

Kite
12-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna agree with more bamboo ukuleles, and another hit song coming out with a ukulele.

More bamboo and other sustainable materials will be next the next ukulele in 2011, at least I could hope!

70sSanO
12-31-2010, 03:42 PM
I agree that ukuleles will continue to increase in popularity. I think it will work its way into more mainstream music, especially if there are more quality ukuleles with pickups and preamps.

What I hope to see is...

...the next generation picking up the ukulele and having it become a backpack instrument that is carried everywhere.

John

haolejohn
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
I think that the price of imports will increase around 20% this year.

spots
12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
I think Ingrate was referring to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJctIMUnaw&feature=player_embedded

Wow!! That is amazing!

Thank you so much for posting it.

ytmr
12-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Totally agree with the posts about the uke finding its way into mainstream music, and that would be just brilliant ;D

ADD
12-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Martin will come out with a good uke
Bamboo is used more
Banjo ukes will be the craze (thanks to mainland making them awesome)

Tall Grass Ukulele already puts out a nice one, I have the concert, for a very,very reasonable price. Mainland only has sopranos I believe at the moment.

TCK
12-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope to god that more folks start making steel string electrics, as I can't afford a Risa LP and I figure making one myself will take me a year

mm stan
12-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Aloha Cletus,
My prediction is that we all will improve our uke skills and as always have much fun on the forums....Happy New Year!! Gang...Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan

OldePhart
01-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah...I guess I'm showing my age but when I was a kid they started music in the first grade on recorders - it was mandatory - and by fourth grade they were introducing kids to orchestra instruments. My high school in a small town in Colorado had three or four jazz ensembles and a couple of "stage bands" (rock bands, basically) in addition to the "normal" mainstream music program. (Unfortunately, I didn't participate in any of it but that's a long story.)

Now, if there is any attention given to music at all it is so the local high school can have the best half-time show at the football game. sigh

John

haolejohn
01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah...I guess I'm showing my age but when I was a kid they started music in the first grade on recorders - it was mandatory - and by fourth grade they were introducing kids to orchestra instruments. My high school in a small town in Colorado had three or four jazz ensembles and a couple of "stage bands" (rock bands, basically) in addition to the "normal" mainstream music program. (Unfortunately, I didn't participate in any of it but that's a long story.)

Now, if there is any attention given to music at all it is so the local high school can have the best half-time show at the football game. sigh

John

Maybe it is just here but our county still incorporates music into the elementary curriculum. May not last much longer but as of now it is there.

ytmr
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Aloha Cletus,
My prediction is that we all will improve our uke skills and as always have much fun on the forums....Happy New Year!! Gang...Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan

Hear, hear