Be safe tonight..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
All my UU friends.

Be SAFE tonight. If you are going out. Have an awesome time, be careful on the road. If you are drinking, do it responsibly and get home safe to your kids and/or family. Watch for the ones that aren't playing it safe on the road, and just stay out of their way. If you are staying home, think about the ones out there for their safety, and pray for them to have a ball, and get home safe. If ya don't pray, then just think of them, and send them some good JuJu. Have an AWESOME and blessed New Year, and celebrate LIFE...

Tomorrow, eat your black eyes peas w/hamhocks, cornbread and cabbage. (for those that don't know what that's about, faget abouddit!!! ;)

Happy New Year...

All my UU friends.

Be SAFE tonight. If you are going out. Have an awesome time, be careful on the road. If you are drinking, do it responsibly and get home safe to your kids and/or family. Watch for the ones that aren't playing it safe on the road, and just stay out of their way. If you are staying home, think about the ones out there for their safety, and pray for them to have a ball, and get home safe. If ya don't pray, then just think of them, and send them some good JuJu. Have an AWESOME and blessed New Year, and celebrate LIFE...

Tomorrow, eat your black eyes peas w/hamhocks, cornbread and cabbage. (for those that don't know what that's about, faget abouddit!!! ;)

Happy New Year...
Down here it's black eyepeas, collards and ham hocks, "Hoppin John"

I loves me some collards. And yeah, we had either collards, or cabbage. Either one sposta represent money..

Aloha & Amen Tudorp. A very Happy New Year to you & your Family!

Aloha Tudorp,
Thank you for the well wishes and warnings for all of us to have a fun and safe Happy New Year!!! Happy New Year to you and your family and all at UU...MM Stan..

Thanks for careing hope you had a happy new year.

Just last night someone mentioned the custom of black eyed peas and it was the first I had ever heard of it. I just made a bean soup with 15 types of beans in it. Does that count?

Roxhum

Just last night someone mentioned the custom of black eyed peas and it was the first I had ever heard of it. I just made a bean soup with 15 types of beans in it. Does that count?

Roxhum

Here is what the blackeyed peas is all about.

Even though I was raised as a kid in south chicago, I was born in the south east. My whole family is from Georgia/Alabama region, and even though my Dad was transfered to south Chicago in his job when I was a kid, I was still raised VERY southern with southern principals, ethics, and culture. My Dad grew up as a poor Alabama share cropper's son, and VERY much into the traditions of the region. The new year was always brought in with the traditional southern meal of Blackeyed peas, Hamhock, cabbage and cornbread. It was for good luck, and a prosperous year. Blackeyed peas symbolized your crop. The more you ate on new years day, the better your crop for the year would be. Hamhock, was for the simple reason, they are awesome and traditional cooked in the peas. Cabbage symbolized money and wealth. The more you ate on new years, the more prosperous you would be that year. Cornbread is pretty much the same, symbolizing wealth (Gold). Again, the more ya ate, the more prosperous your year would be.

We used to lay the cornbread in a bowl, cover it with the blackeyed peas, with plenty of the pot liquer (the juice from them), and of course the hamhock. And cabbage on the side..

Good eats.. As stated above, some ate collard greens in place of the cabbage. We loved collards, and ate them allot, but cabbage was our New Years meal.

Pot Liquor

I'll explain the term "Pot Liquor" for those that might be curious of the term I used above. Pot Liquor is the juice, usually from collard, or turnip greens. But also from other stuff like blackeyed peas. Basically, it's the water and juices the greens were cooked in. Back in the slave days in the south, the big house ate the greens that were cooked, but sent the juices off the greens to the slave quarters for their food. Slaves as you know didn't rate getting to eat much of the food, that was for their white slave owners, and that's why they got the left over from the table which was usually the "pot liquor". Little did they know at the time, that the pot liquor was the healthiest part of it, because traditional southern cooking typically over cooked their greens and most the nutients were cooked out of them, and into the liquid. So, in the south, the poor, and the slaves only got the pot liquor mostly. Ham hocks were trash usually and thrown away by the rich. So, the poor, and the slaved got those as left overs, and that's how the ham hock got to be a southern staple, especially by the poor.

Top Bottom