Dragon Inlay

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I showed the dragon butt inlay last week and I've just finished the fret board and headstock. (The colors are better than what are shown. I suck as a photographer.) I still need to sand the neck, dress the frets, install the Pegheds, etc. This was one one my longest inlay jobs, having taken me all week to complete. The tricky part is setting the frets without cracking any of the inlays, which means putting a nice bevel on all of the slots and pressing slowing.
Materials are gold MOP, Paua ab, chrysocola comp and red comp. Engraved and filled with alkyd artist colors. Inlay was set with thin and medium ca glues.
Happy new year everyone.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 256
Just stunning! Happy New Year, Chuck! I hope to have you build me one this year sometime...

I just swooned.

Gorgeous work, Mr. Moore. Simply gorgeous.

Healthy and prosperous New year to you, sir.

That is insane.... :0

Looks pretty awesome Chuck, cant wait to see the finished product!

That has to be the most intricate work you've done so far. Beautifully done. Happy New Year Chuck.

Brilliant stuff Chuck "i'm jealous"
But! this is inspiring me to have a go at inlay work....I think I'll start with something simple....like an "English hunting scene".... With the horses & huntsmen blowing their horns etc: charging down the headstock, along with the hounds running down the fingerboard in full chase ..And the Fox disapearing down the soundhole.

(I would'nt know where to start :confused: Well I can dream about it if nothing else):):):)

Amazing!!!!

How do you go about drilling for the machine heads Chuck? Or do they all miss the inlay?

The tuners will miss everything but the lower whisker. I love Pegheds because they are so unobtrusive on an inlay like this. If I wanted, I could even stagger them like I did on this flamingo themed uke. I could even install one on one side and three on the other. Anything goes.
BTW, this is a left handed uke; that's why the dragon is positioned the way he is. Building left hand always throws me for a loop.

Attachments

• DSC_0003 copy.jpg
    DSC_0003 copy.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 74
Aloha Chuck,
Happy New Year to you and your family....Absoulutely Beautiful Chuck ...AKA(ABC)...WOW...Thanks for sharing....MM Stan..

Chuck, that is absolutely stunning. I can't imagine ever having the patience to do anything of that caliber. Someday I am hoping to own of yours.

Brilliant stuff Chuck "i'm jealous"
But! this is inspiring me to have a go at inlay work....I think I'll start with something simple....like an "English hunting scene".... With the horses & huntsmen blowing their horns etc: charging down the headstock, along with the hounds running down the fingerboard in full chase ..And the Fox disapearing down the soundhole.

(I would'nt know where to start :confused: Well I can dream about it if nothing else):):):)

I don't know, Timbuck. Made me LOL reading it, sounds like a grand idea, but maybe you should start with something simpler and challenge Mr Moore to take that one on. Love the Fox disappearing down the soundhole.

I showed the dragon butt inlay last week and I've just finished the fret board and headstock. (The colors are better than what are shown. I suck as a photographer.) I still need to sand the neck, dress the frets, install the Pegheds, etc. This was one one my longest inlay jobs, having taken me all week to complete. The tricky part is setting the frets without cracking any of the inlays, which means putting a nice bevel on all of the slots and pressing slowing.
Materials are gold MOP, Paua ab, chrysocola comp and red comp. Engraved and filled with alkyd artist colors. Inlay was set with thin and medium ca glues.
Happy new year everyone.

WOW!! Will be pulling for you to get through the tricky part without any problems. Happy New Year and look forward to seeing your future creations. Oh, and your photography doesn't suck. Maybe not up to the same standard as your inlays but it's far from that word "suck".

Last edited:
I don't know, Timbuck. Made me LOL reading it, sounds like a grand idea, but maybe you should start with something simpler and challenge Mr Moore to take that one on. Love the Fox disappearing down the soundhole.

There was an Admiral Lord Charles Beresford of the Royal Navy..Who had the full hunting scene tattooed across his back with the Fox tail disapearing into his **** hole.

Top Bottom