plagued by depression

princesspoppi

Reaction score
I am one of the many people in this world who are plagued by depression, and music is one thing that just picks me up and allows me to breathe again. I love the uke. And so I was just wondering, what songs do you like to play when you are down? The songs that lift your spirits, make your heart happy and bring joy to your soul....

Molokai Side.....Go to TropicalStormshawaii for the chords and Lyrics...Have fun and enjoy!! Happy New Year....I hope 2011 is a better year for you....Let me know how it works out for you!! MM Stan..
Playing my ukulele makes me happy...but it is not a cure, rather a distraction from my health issues..
It brightens up my days of pain and suffering....however on extreme days even this may not even work..

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't play any of Faricelli's songs ;-)

You got a friend in Me
Pick any Beatles tune.
Listen to Todd Biao's stuff. He's great. http://www.youtube.com/user/doogey9

Any any Hawaiian song will do. Even when they are sad, you don't know unless you speak hawaiian. ;-)

Sophie Madeleine - music: Oil & Gold

This new ukulele song make me happy!

I like to play "Till There Was You". The lyrics and chords are on The interwebs.... More important- seek help. A therapist or Psychiatrist, maybe both. There is no shame in getting help. Tere is shame in not allowing yourself to really live a full life if it is possible to do so. Best wishes, and I hope you find the help you need.

Five Foot Two, Rubber Duckie, Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the bedpost Over Night, Eddie Kusha Kama Kama Tosa Neera Tosa Noma Samma Kama Wacky Brown.

All up tempo, and fit the ukulele perfectly. Rubber Duckie is the only one not easy to play, but not super difficult. java Jive also does it for me, from a jazzy side.

And any 12 bar blues that lets me improvise - I can play improve 12-bar for hours, in a variety of tempos and styles. Great on guitar and ukulele!

-Kurt

Ahi Wela. Music isn't the only thing that helps us. Love helps too.

Anything I play helps. Btw I also suffer from depression so I can relate. you're seeing a doctor for it right?

Your honesty is beautiful

Being an Aussie I play Waltzing Matilda which gives a real buzz now I've mastered the finger style version.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety disorder all my life (I'm 29 now). Playing the uke is great because it doesn't take long to get a few recognizable songs under your belt, it sounds upbeat, yet mellow and laid back somehow.

If I'm feeling an anxious or depressed episode coming on, I like to play Five Foot Two on any of my instruments. I also play Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (appropriate, no?). They are both fairly upbeat in tempo and since I've got the chords down, I like to mess with different strumming and picking patterns, just to play around and take my mind off stuff.

I agree with others: if you aren't already, seek help for this very treatable condition. And good for you for turning to the jumping flea for some solace. Music therapy is legit!

Take care!

John

I've been there. Vitamin U truly has medicinal properties. Singing & humming are great too.

Favorite tunes? Too many to list, but I'll try.

When the Red Red Robin
On the Sunny Side of the Street
Ja-da
I'm an Old Cowhand
Lulu's Back in Town
Love Potion #9
I Can See Clearly Now

Interestingly, a lot of my favorite tunes were famous during the 1930s.

PS: Diet, nutrition, sunshine, helping others, counting your blessings, social activities, and a good doctor are all very helpful as well.

Paper Moon
Five Foot Two
Baby Face

From a fellow uker, I send you light.

I've been there. Vitamin U truly has medicinal properties. Singing & humming are great too.

Favorite tunes? Too many to list, but I'll try.

When the Red Red Robin
On the Sunny Side of the Street
Ja-da
I'm an Old Cowhand
Lulu's Back in Town
Love Potion #9
I Can See Clearly Now

Interestingly, a lot of my favorite tunes were famous during the 1930s.

PS: Diet, nutrition, sunshine, helping others, counting your blessings, social activities, and a good doctor are all very helpful as well.

I'm with fran...anything from the 20's and 30's...too many to name.

I'm a lifelong sufferer from depression and chronic anxiety problems too Poppi. Music has been my lifeline for many, many years and lifted me out of some very deep holes. From that perspective, just picking up the uke and playing anything is a welcome distraction and has an inherently calming, joyful and therapeutic effect.

All the best for 2011 mate. Hope you can find some peace and strength to fight the depressive symptoms you have. And, as others have said, get some professional advice if you're not doing so already.

When I'm in the black hole I can't play. I can't take my music into that pit with me.

I enjoy lots of styles of music. I love jazz standards, blues, all 'good' popular music - and there's plenty of that, Beatles, U2 and really anything played on the uke. But when I'm in the pit I'm there alone.

I've been down the road of anti-depressants, and they worked and got me back to where I cope pretty well. I'm not tempted to go there again. My black days are few and they don't last long, and it's worth weathering them to retain the 'me-ness' that I had to lose when I was on sertraline.

Eight years ago I had to break the cycle of depression. I needed a circuit breaker like an SSRI to help get back to a good place. If I needed to do that again I would in a heartbeat. Sometimes you have to acknowledge that there's a chemical imbalance that either comes as a result of depression, or maybe even causes it in the first place, and it needs a chemical remedy. It worked for me, and you just can't ignore good help when you need it.

I think the best medicine is music, but for me it only works as a preventative, not a cure.

If I'm too blue to play the uke, I try to listen to someone else play, as that's how I ended up with all my little 4 stringed buddies in the first place. ;) It helped get me though some really hard times with toxic family situations.

I have almost got Raindrops Keep Fallin' On my Head memorized, and hope by the end of this year I'll be able to do it without thinking. Maybe another 1,000 times through will get it to stick to my brain cells...

:eek:

Thanks everyone for your songs. Just reading some of the song titles made me smile - so many songs I had forgotten about! Especially the Red Red Robin song - we used to sing this at primary school about 20 years ago, I loved it, will have to learn how to play it. Thank you for all your lovely sweet words and well wishes. New Year, new me, new songs on the uke!:music:

Top Bottom