Kala vs Ohana sopraninos

J_Tay81

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the Ohana and Kala itty-bitty ukes? Is there a sound or construction difference, or anything that sways you towards one over another?

John

Is there a difference between the Ohana and Kala itty-bitty ukes? Is there a sound or construction difference, or anything that sways you towards one over another?

John

For one thing, I believe the Ohana is bigger. AND less expensive. I love mine; a blast to play.

For one thing, I believe the Ohana is bigger. AND less expensive. I love mine; a blast to play.

yep, pdxuke nailed it. The Ohana is slightly longer scale and has slightly more volume. In my opinion too, it is better looking!

If you're keen on playing other sopranino brands, contact Duane at Black Bear Ukuleles or Donna or Augie LoPrinzi. Also try Joseph Todaro who carves them out of one piece of solid wood.

Both Black Bear and LoPrinzi have their own sopraninos which are more expensive but a step up again in sound quality and are arguably, of higher building standard, being hand-made.

I own the Ohana... love it! It is my go everywhere uke. I did a mini-review type thing on my youtube channel for a friend. Basically the beauty of the Sopranino is you can get away with tuning it GCEA, so you do not have to transpose when playing with others. I carry pocket ukes, and they are a lot of fun, but they do not have the volume sopraninos have. But, the solid Acacia ones sound sweet!

Played the LoPrinzi in Tampa and it was a sweet little instument! Great sound! Well made! Nicest people in the world (which makes it even sweeter)!!!

Alex (bornagainjeeper) owns both, and in his review of the pocket uke, he compared it to the ohana sopranino, it might help you out:

I love my Ohanas. I have both SK35 soprano, and the SK21 sopranino. Both are well built, and sound great, and play great.

I have both the Ohana and the Todaro Akulele sopraninos. I believe the quality and sound of the Todaro is better than the Ohana and it's a much more attractive instrument. They are essentially the same length, but the Akulele body is smaller, fretboard longer with 15 frets. The Ohana has 12 frets. Although they can be tuned to gcea, the strings are a bit slack. Best tuned to adf#b. The Akulele has a much woodier tone. Both are strung with Aquilas. If I wasn't so computer and digitally impaired, I'd post a sound sample.

They all have something to offer and of course it's subjective.
The Kala is so cool with it's extra petite size, the Ohana still being small has a louder voice and a bit more on the detail side with binding etc. The LoPrinzi is about the same size as the sopranino but has a lot of wood choices-Honduran mahogany, Spruce/cherry(1 in stock), Hawaiian mango, koa etc, custom headstock, Grover low profile tuners, binding USA luthier made so you get even more variety. I love em all!
Lots of reasons to get any of them.

Top Bottom