PDA

View Full Version : Kala Acacia Tenor - Low G

Dane
01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
This is my first review, sorry for any lacking information. I really like this uke, I have fremont blackline low G on it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVdgmDe4P8

Paul December
01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Very nice overview, and you seem to have a nice touch to your playing.
I have the same uke, so just checked mine out to see if it had any of the finish flaws you mention.
Fortunately it does not, but yours does seem to have a bit prettier top than mine.
Some of the imperfections seem minor, but others may make it worth having it exchanged, especially knowing that it isn't the norm with them.
If you do keep it, IMO the seller should reimburse you 25% to make up for it. If you decide to sell it down the road, it will take a hit because of all the imperfections now that they are disclosed. It might be worth sending a link to your review to both the seller and directly to Kala for a response. I vaguely remember someone posting that "B Stock" ukes were being sold. I'd guess "B" means cosmetic flaws and not playability.

mm stan
01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Aloha Dane,
Congrats on the new Kala Acacia tenor...I recently purchased a couple solid body acarcia ukes and I am very pleased with sound and looks of them....Aside from the cosmetic finish flaws you mentioned it sounds
awesome....and I enjoyed your playing and review....Thanks for sharing...Happy Strummings and Happy New Year!!! MM Stan..

Dane
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys, Yeah I considered telling MGM, since I don't think he knew about the flaws. But really it has no effect on the instrument, and I don't mind if my girl is a little dirty ;)

I do see your point for re-sell value down the line, however.

harpdog
01-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Good review - nice playing. I was able to hear the tone and that was helpful, since I'm thinking about one of these in low G.

JamieFromOntario
01-03-2011, 01:32 AM
great review! Excellent playing!

The fremonts sound pretty good. I've had problems with low-g strings in past where they sound a little "boomy" but I don't hear that in your vid.

Dane
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm going to re-do this in a shorter version with more information. I don't think I represented it the way I wanted to.

Adie227
01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I've been considering this uke for a while. Thanks for the review, nice playing btw :)

kenuke
01-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I have one of these. Put a new set of Aquila's with Low G on it and it was awful. The uke sounded dull and lost its ring that
it had with Worths on it. I may try the Fremonts next. Nice playing.

poppy
01-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Have the freemont low Gs on mine and really like them, had the same booming with the aquila's and went back to high g right away but decided to try these and I have left them on.

JamieFromOntario
01-08-2011, 01:50 AM
I had one of these ukes which I sold a few months back.

I had it set up with southcoast low-g strings which are a bit brighter than the fremonts, particularly as you move up the fret board - the fremonts seem to go dead as you get up high.

Here's a sound clip of the acacia with southcoasts - I used to think that the low-g was boomy sounding but, in retrospect, it sounds pretty nice. Also, harmonics seem to ring out better with the sc strings - mind you, the one harmonic in this clip was unintentional...
http://www.box.net/shared/j2ecuo6gcj

mik55
01-08-2011, 02:14 AM
A very nice review, Dane. I also changed the original Aquilas but I went for Worth Clear as I don't like the sound of them on Koa or Acacia.

As you are mainly talking about the cosmetical issues of you ASAC-T, maybe you should consider to get rid of all these issues by simply buffing up the whole instrument? I went this way & never looked back.

This is how looks now:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/n6kvH938z67Rg/KA-ASAC-T_saddle.jpg

Regs
Mike

guitharsis
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Who sells Fremont Blackline Low G's? Would like to try them. Presently have both of my Kamakas strung with Fremont Blackline high G.

Dane
01-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Mik55, would you be willing to share your special treatment that you did to do that?

Who sells Fremont Blackline Low G's? Would like to try them. Presently have both of my Kamakas strung with Fremont Blackline high G.

I get mine from MGM. If he doesn't have them on his ebay, just send him an email, I've done that before and found out that he had plenty of them and that he just hadn't noticed the ebay spot sold out.

mik55
01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Mik55, would you be willing to share your special treatment that you did to do that?

Hi Dane, you've got mail.

Dane
01-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Dane, you've got mail.

Thank you very much mik, I'm not sure if I will or will not do this yet, it's quite tempting looking at how much it brought out the grain of the wood. But I will be sure to post back if I do. I appreciate it =)

fromthee2me
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Dane, Interesting thread. I own the same Tenor, and mine had tiny bubbles on the lower side of the bridge. I have also seen the buffed Tenor, and would love to know how that was done (the buffing) . On the low g string experiment. I bought the Fremont low G strings, and found the low G too boomy, and returned to Aquilas. Another interesting bit of information is to try soprano or concert strings on a Tenor to liven it up? Other then that I think it is a nice instrument, very sturdy, and I use it with a MiSi into an acoustic amp.

Dane
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes the low G is overwhelming if you strum ferociously, but I do a lot of picking on this instrument, which lets me regulate it so that it doesn't do that.

mik55
01-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi, there are mails for fromthee2me & kenuke.

Regs
Mike

fromthee2me
01-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Hello Mike,
Very kind of you to send us the e-mails! And had you not mentioned it on this thread that there was e-mail, I would not have looked. So thank you again. I had a look at the picture of your polished Kala Tenor, and where your lightfitting reflects on the wood surface (RH side of the bridge ) is where the tiny bubbles are on the tenor that I bought. The instrument plays lovely and if I did not tell anyone you would not notice it straight away. It is the Kala that I use when I play with a guitarist and a bassist through a small PA. I think it is a value for money instrument! Keep Well. Heiko