I need either an electric or an acoustic/electric

TicToc

Reaction score
Hey guys, my band 'Holbrook Road' and I have started getting serious, and as the only Ukulele player, I need something loud. We're primarily an acoustic band, so I'd just put a mic on the Uke, but I'm also the lead vocalist, so it gets tricky. Basically, I want a simple electrified instrument that can play with guitars. My budget is about $120, but if I put off the purchase for a little bit I might be able to go a little higher. I'd prefer not to though.

As for size, I'd like either a concert or a tenor.

But if I do that, then I can't get another Ukulele... :p

I have a Makala MK-T, but I got strap buttons installed, and so I don't really want it to look any more "cluttered", if that makes sense.

But if I do that, then I can't get another Ukulele... :p

Good point. There are good Kala Tenor acoustic electric ukes. I've only played one, it was pretty cool.

At that price point there aren't that many good options. You could check out this black Lanikai at Mim's:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIM-Lanikai-LU-...450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b684fd4a

It's a bit more than your budget but it might be worth a stretch. Maybe you could give Mim a call and talk it over with her and see if this would meet the need.

I don't know- Les Paul used phone parts. Standard Piezo pickup is pretty easy to make.
You can get a Piezo transducer from Radio Shack for under $3

Dave's is even simpler here at Waverly Street Ukulele
Attach your transducer to and endpin jack (which replaces your strap button) from Stewmac (get the one that threads from the outside for easy install) and you are electric for $18, with no additional clutter (so long as you can control tone at your amp)
These tend to run a little hot, so you may need to make a pre-amp as well. I am still experimenting here, but there are a lot of sources for them on the web (Altoids tin army!)
I have two of these on my tenor CBU, which I embedded in beer caps and then muffled with a piece of walnut and they work great. I did one in a resonator CBU under a tart pan and got the same results without having to pick it apart, embed it in bottle caps and use tool coating (handle rubber)- I just left it open...dang shame is I think it sounds better than the first I did all that work on, but it all keeps me out of trouble.
'Course, buying another Uke is always fun too...

I would recommend Schatten Design's pickup for uke. I have their pickups for guitar, mandolin, and banjo and have already toyed with the idea of getting one of these puppies installed. They have them for interior AND exterior, as it sounds like you've already got the strap button installed and don't want to make it "cluttered" on the outside. But who's gonna know on the inside right? :)

http://schattendesign.com/uke.htm

Thanks for the replies everyone! Right now, I'm kind of leaning toward that black Lanikai, my guitarist has a black Epiphone acoustic that he plays, so it would match pretty well. I've found it for about $110 after shipping, can anyone attest to how it sounds plugged into an amp?

Top Bottom