I died and went to Ukulele Heaven

Miss Michele

Reaction score
I hadn't been to the local music store in a while. So, tonight, I decided to take a stroll to the 'ole music store to see if they had any new Ukulele items in. Last time when I was in the store they were only selling Lanakai LU-21 model ukuleles. They also had very few ukulele instruction booklets.

Tonight it was like I stepped into ukulele heaven! As soon as you walked into the door you see a HUGE display for Lanikai Ukuleles! They had saprano to Baritone size! An electric/acustic model too! The only ones available were the display models. The guy in the store said they sold a lot during the holidays. I guess I'm not the only one in my hometown with a ukulele now! lol

I have my eyes on the spruce top, and the Koa. Both concert models. The spruce top is more in my price range though and I think it sounds better.

I really like Lanikai, it makes me happy :) lol

Do you have many music stores where you live? Do they sell ukuleles?

Ukuleles are pretty easy to get in Southeast England. Good ukuleles are another story. One shop in town has a decent Kala selection. You really have to go to London, and even there's not great.

I think many UKers are very thankful for the internet.

There are two stores around here that sell ukuleles.
First there's Music Mart, they just sell Lanikai.
Then, there's Guitar Center, with a semi-decent ukulele selection, they had a wonderful Luna Concert High Tide ukulele that I fell in love with, I plan on buying it later on.

Aloha Michele,
We have so many ukulele stores here, my bank account is empty...he he...btw- I myself don't prefer spruce tops as they are too bright for me..sorry my preference...try them before buying them..
I hope you had a wonderful New Years Day and Hope 2011 is a Great year for you...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

There's one store with nowhere to park near it and no public transport stops around it that carries Lanikai ukes and Aquila strings. The ukes are all over MSRP, so... yeah.

But to be fair, that's probably one of the better music stores around. Music stores in general are very poor. You couldn't even be sure you could go to a guitar place and audition a Fender, and they'll all vary wildly in price.

Michele:

Are you talking about Sam Ash, by any chance? They suddenly took on a whole new uke department a few months ago, but don't seem to be keeping up with it. Nobody in any of the Sam Ash stores around here even know how to tune them!

Theres one store by me that sells decent ukes but the shop is 20 miles away. Worth the drive for ukes though.

the local shop by me focusses almost exclusively on Kalas. They got a pretty sweet selection though. went in there a few days ago and saw alot of empty uke hooks on the wall :) they must be sellin!

The store by my house has a few kalas but that's about it..I don't think people are willing to pay a substantial amount for a uke yet.. The interest has picked up for sure since the first I walk in there.

Local guitar center had two or three ho-hummers the last time I checked. There is a music store a couple of miles away that has the big Lanikai revolving display that is probably the one you saw - but there have only been two or three ukes on it for as long as I can remember!

You'd think in a metropolitan area this size I could do better...

John

Last edited:
Aloha Michele,
We have so many ukulele stores here, my bank account is empty...he he...btw- I myself don't prefer spruce tops as they are too bright for me..sorry my preference...try them before buying them..
I hope you had a wonderful New Years Day and Hope 2011 is a Great year for you...Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

Stan, I was strumming them for a few. I don't know why but I liked the sound of the spruce top more than the Koa. I thought it was kinda pretty ;)

Local guitar center had two or three ho-hummers the last time I checked. There is a music store a couple of miles away that has the big Lanikai revolving display that is probably the one you saw - but there have only been two or three ukes on it for as long as I can remember!

You'd think in a metropolitan area this size I could do better...

John

John, I'm pretty sure that was the display I saw! Yea, my hometown is kinda small so it figures they wouldn't have much.

The store by my house has a few kalas but that's about it..I don't think people are willing to pay a substantial amount for a uke yet.. The interest has picked up for sure since the first I walk in there.

Rockabilly, I think that there are still some people that don't understand an ukulele is NOT a toy!

If you want to die and go to heaven, go to Huntington Beach, CA and check out Island Bazaar. Salukulady took me there last winter and I'd NEVER seen, nor will I EVER probably see so many different ukuleles in one spot.

If you want to die and go to heaven, go to Huntington Beach, CA and check out Island Bazaar. Salukulady took me there last winter and I'd NEVER seen, nor will I EVER probably see so many different ukuleles in one spot.

Sukie, lol, I'm hoping to do some traveling this summer (if all goes well) I'll put that spot on my list!

Ukuleles are pretty easy to get in Southeast England. Good ukuleles are another story. One shop in town has a decent Kala selection. You really have to go to London, and even there's not great.

I think many UKers are very thankful for the internet.

I know I'm thankful!

Top Bottom