PDA

View Full Version : lessons.....

uke142464
07-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Im thinking about doing beginner drum/guitar/ukulele lessons to kids in my neighboor hood and I dont know a bout what to charge or any of that stuff
help....
This sumer I have a lot of time and no money so I need something to do.
I'm gonna make flyers and post them up on community bulletin boards, but my main question is what to charge? all help is appreciated

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 03:32 AM
i thought you needed a license to charge people for stuff like that, well at least... thats what i've been told.

but if u don't need a license, flyers will do the job and in Australia, i know one ukulele teacher and he charges $60 per hour... i think, personally, $20 is enough... but for local kids i would charge $10 max.

uke142464
07-09-2008, 03:44 AM
im under the legal working age too but... I doubt ill get locked up for it.

uber_goober
07-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Just a respectful thought on teaching (admittedly not knowing your background). Even for teaching beginners, especially for money, you should have a solid grasp of theory, technique, etc. After all, you'll be the model they emulate, so you want to make sure you're passing on good habits.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with sharing music with others. It's a great thing to do. I'd just make sure you have a good grasp of your abilities and how that relates to what your students want to learn.

I've informally taught a few folks over the years, and it's a learning experience for the teacher as well (don't be afraid to learn from your students). However, I've never taught for money, and my students have always played other instruments. So it's really been a mapping of they principles they already know to a new instrument.

-John

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 03:48 AM
im under the legal working age too but... I doubt ill get locked up for it.

fines apply for all ages though

uke142464
07-09-2008, 04:10 AM
fines apply for all ages though

do you think I'd get fined for it???

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:11 AM

all depends on the police i guess, because breaking the law>fines apply.

im just saying what could happen... but i say charge $10 max, tell me how it goes, all the best.

uke142464
07-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Just a respectful thought on teaching (admittedly not knowing your background). Even for teaching beginners, especially for money, you should have a solid grasp of theory, technique, etc. After all, you'll be the model they emulate, so you want to make sure you're passing on good habits.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with sharing music with others. It's a great thing to do. I'd just make sure you have a good grasp of your abilities and how that relates to what your students want to learn.

I've informally taught a few folks over the years, and it's a learning experience for the teacher as well (don't be afraid to learn from your students). However, I've never taught for money, and my students have always played other instruments. So it's really been a mapping of they principles they already know to a new instrument.

-John

I've been playing guitar and drums for about 8 years now and I've carried over my guitar technique to the ukulele, and I'm only going to teach beginners so that I don't get caught up in anything that I can't teach, but I can read notes, I know how to do major and blues scales, and I know all the basic chords... I know about half steps whole steps, do you think I'll need to know about minor scales and all those confusing ones??? (If im teaching beginners)

deach
07-09-2008, 04:14 AM

I am willing to bet they don't. They have more important things to worry about than unlicensed rogue ukulele lessons.

deach
07-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I've been playing guitar and drums for about 8 years now and I've carried over my guitar technique to the ukulele, and I'm only going to teach beginners so that I don't get caught up in anything that I can't teach, but I can read notes, I know how to do major and blues scales, and I know all the basic chords... I know about half steps whole steps, do you think I'll need to know about minor scales and all those confusing ones??? (If im teaching beginners)

As a beginner, I just want you teach me how to play a song. If you incorporate all that other stuff, the theory, while I learn a song, it's all good.

uke142464
07-09-2008, 04:17 AM
I am willing to bet they don't. They have more important things to worry about than unlicensed rogue ukulele lessons.
haha, where I live the cops will do anything to get someone in trouble, but yea I doubt it will happen.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:22 AM
haha, where I live the cops will do anything to get someone in trouble, but yea I doubt it will happen.

ah well... positive thinking is the 1st step...

are you going to put on your flyer? "im not legal to work because im underage, i don't have a license" if u don't then u should be fine

like i said - all the best, maybe all the money you make you can buy a very nice ukulele.

uber_goober
07-09-2008, 04:22 AM

I'd say Major/minor scales, common chords in each key, knowing the notes on the fingerboard, ability to read music (not necessarily sight read, that's a skill in itself), and a healthy dose of patience and you'll be okay.

Just remember to teach them to play songs early on as well as scales, etc. You're goal is to get them playing and having fun sooner rather than later. :)

-John

russ_buss
07-09-2008, 04:24 AM
good for you. way to keep yourself busy this summer. i say go for it but do heed uber_goober's advice. i would just disclose everything you know (and don't know) prior to the first lesson. that way, it won't come back to bite you in the butt later.

as for fines, kids still mow lawns and wash cars for money right? i think teaching uke for a little scratch on the side sounds like a fine summertime activity! good luck dude!

oh yeah, maybe charge a sliding scale depending on the student's financial situation? i don't know the cost of living in your area so can't really recommend a dollar amount.

deach
07-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Oh nooeeees!!!!!!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1302/4819541/17784501/324760002.jpg

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:34 AM
edit

think twice.

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh nooeeees!!!!!!

OMG!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

uke142464
07-09-2008, 04:40 AM
ah well... positive thinking is the 1st step...

are you going to put on your flyer? "im not legal to work because im underage, i don't have a license" if u don't then u should be fine

like i said - all the best, maybe all the money you make you can buy a very nice ukulele.

thats actually what im planning on doing
im looking at the kala tenor mahogany cutaway, the black one, and if not that then a mahogany tenor kala with pickups
I have 73 bucks already so hopefully I can make a bit from this

uke142464
07-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Oh nooeeees!!!!!!

roflmfao ahahahahahahahahaha

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 04:44 AM
thats actually what im planning on doing
im looking at the kala tenor mahogany cutaway, the black one, and if not that then a mahogany tenor kala with pickups
I have 73 bucks already so hopefully I can make a bit from this

as soon as you get this ukulele, do a dragon cover - for your biggest fan ;)

uber_goober
07-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Another thought. Take 3 students. Don't charge them. See how it goes for a couple months and then make a decision on whether you still want to teach. Then set a cost for new students.

I'll also relay a piece of wisdom from a great teacher I know, "never get into music education to make money". :D

Regarding the fines thing, I'm not sure how it works where you are. By me, there's no repercussions for saying, "if you want a lesson, it's 10 bucks". Technically, it's reportable income for tax purposes. But informal arrangements are kinda hard to track, especially in cash. You could also take it from the angle of "I don't really charge, but a tip of 5 or 10 bucks would be appreciated".

-John

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 05:01 AM
*edit*

my poster was up long enough

uke142464
07-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Another thought. Take 3 students. Don't charge them. See how it goes for a couple months and then make a decision on whether you still want to teach. Then set a cost for new students.

I'll also relay a piece of wisdom from a great teacher I know, "never get into music education to make money". :D

Regarding the fines thing, I'm not sure how it works where you are. By me, there's no repercussions for saying, "if you want a lesson, it's 10 bucks". Technically, it's reportable income for tax purposes. But informal arrangements are kinda hard to track, especially in cash. You could also take it from the angle of "I don't really charge, but a tip of 5 or 10 bucks would be appreciated".

-John
thats a good idea, to take a couple and not charge...or just not charge at all and hope for tips, but I'm also doing this for kids who really want to play the uke but can't find lessons and don't know anything. Cause that would suck, considering the ukulele is the best instrument in the world. The area I live in, nobody plays the ukulele, and nobody teaches it so maybe if I could get some kids into it they'd spread it around. Or for the parents that dont want to spend upwards of 20 bucks for a lesson.

uke142464
07-09-2008, 05:10 AM

mhm sure thing:rolleyes:

deach
07-09-2008, 05:25 AM
*edit*

my poster was up long enough

Oh man. What did I miss?

uke142464
07-09-2008, 05:27 AM

would anyone happen to have the tabs for it?

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Oh man. What did I miss?

uke265982465's advertisement poster... but at the risk of me always looking like the bad guy and get into trouble, i respect this forum and everybody in here - so i removed it

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 05:28 AM
would anyone happen to have the tabs for it?

yeah i do - ask Dom... he has them

RON<>VA
07-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow, I saw this poster this morning at the U.S. Post Office here in Richmond, Va. Top 10 most wanted!
There are plenty of guys in jail who would love to have ukulele lessons. :eek: Just don't get caught!!

Oh nooeeees!!!!!!

uke142464
07-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Wow, I saw this poster this morning at the U.S. Post Office here in Richmond, Va. Top 10 most wanted!
There are plenty of guys in jail who would love to have ukulele lessons. :eek: Just don't get caught!!

haha, make sure i dont drop the soap

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-09-2008, 06:26 AM
haha, make sure i dont drop the soap

thats gross LmFao..