lessons.....

uke142464

Reaction score
Im thinking about doing beginner drum/guitar/ukulele lessons to kids in my neighboor hood and I dont know a bout what to charge or any of that stuff
help....
This sumer I have a lot of time and no money so I need something to do.
I'm gonna make flyers and post them up on community bulletin boards, but my main question is what to charge? all help is appreciated

i thought you needed a license to charge people for stuff like that, well at least... thats what i've been told.

but if u don't need a license, flyers will do the job and in Australia, i know one ukulele teacher and he charges $60 per hour... i think, personally, $20 is enough... but for local kids i would charge $10 max.

Just a respectful thought on teaching (admittedly not knowing your background). Even for teaching beginners, especially for money, you should have a solid grasp of theory, technique, etc. After all, you'll be the model they emulate, so you want to make sure you're passing on good habits.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with sharing music with others. It's a great thing to do. I'd just make sure you have a good grasp of your abilities and how that relates to what your students want to learn.

I've informally taught a few folks over the years, and it's a learning experience for the teacher as well (don't be afraid to learn from your students). However, I've never taught for money, and my students have always played other instruments. So it's really been a mapping of they principles they already know to a new instrument.

-John

Just a respectful thought on teaching (admittedly not knowing your background). Even for teaching beginners, especially for money, you should have a solid grasp of theory, technique, etc. After all, you'll be the model they emulate, so you want to make sure you're passing on good habits.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with sharing music with others. It's a great thing to do. I'd just make sure you have a good grasp of your abilities and how that relates to what your students want to learn.

I've informally taught a few folks over the years, and it's a learning experience for the teacher as well (don't be afraid to learn from your students). However, I've never taught for money, and my students have always played other instruments. So it's really been a mapping of they principles they already know to a new instrument.

-John

I've been playing guitar and drums for about 8 years now and I've carried over my guitar technique to the ukulele, and I'm only going to teach beginners so that I don't get caught up in anything that I can't teach, but I can read notes, I know how to do major and blues scales, and I know all the basic chords... I know about half steps whole steps, do you think I'll need to know about minor scales and all those confusing ones??? (If im teaching beginners)

I've been playing guitar and drums for about 8 years now and I've carried over my guitar technique to the ukulele, and I'm only going to teach beginners so that I don't get caught up in anything that I can't teach, but I can read notes, I know how to do major and blues scales, and I know all the basic chords... I know about half steps whole steps, do you think I'll need to know about minor scales and all those confusing ones??? (If im teaching beginners)

As a beginner, I just want you teach me how to play a song. If you incorporate all that other stuff, the theory, while I learn a song, it's all good.

haha, where I live the cops will do anything to get someone in trouble, but yea I doubt it will happen.

ah well... positive thinking is the 1st step...

are you going to put on your flyer? "im not legal to work because im underage, i don't have a license" if u don't then u should be fine

like i said - all the best, maybe all the money you make you can buy a very nice ukulele.

I'd say Major/minor scales, common chords in each key, knowing the notes on the fingerboard, ability to read music (not necessarily sight read, that's a skill in itself), and a healthy dose of patience and you'll be okay.

Just remember to teach them to play songs early on as well as scales, etc. You're goal is to get them playing and having fun sooner rather than later. :)

-John

good for you. way to keep yourself busy this summer. i say go for it but do heed uber_goober's advice. i would just disclose everything you know (and don't know) prior to the first lesson. that way, it won't come back to bite you in the butt later.

as for fines, kids still mow lawns and wash cars for money right? i think teaching uke for a little scratch on the side sounds like a fine summertime activity! good luck dude!

oh yeah, maybe charge a sliding scale depending on the student's financial situation? i don't know the cost of living in your area so can't really recommend a dollar amount.

ah well... positive thinking is the 1st step...

are you going to put on your flyer? "im not legal to work because im underage, i don't have a license" if u don't then u should be fine

like i said - all the best, maybe all the money you make you can buy a very nice ukulele.

thats actually what im planning on doing
im looking at the kala tenor mahogany cutaway, the black one, and if not that then a mahogany tenor kala with pickups
I have 73 bucks already so hopefully I can make a bit from this

Top Bottom