PDA

View Full Version : My Mya Moe is done!!!

Nuprin
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Very excited...just got a message from Gordon & Char saying my Mya Moe has been completed. They are "really, really pleased with how it turned out" and they "loved the looks from the beginning, but the tone is at least an equal match" in their opinion. Should be shipped out on Thursday.

Specs:
Solid curly myrtle tenor cutaway
Maple body & fretboard binding
Radiused ebony fretboard (will be my first uke with a radiused fretboard...really interested to see how it plays)
Graphite-reinforced hand-shaped Mahogany neck
Abalone inlays
Signature Leopardwood and Maple headplate
Dovetail neck/body joint
Geared machine head tuners
Hand-rubbed oil finish

Cannot wait to get it in my hands! Here are a few pictures...

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/Nuprin1030/Mya%20Moe/MyaMoe7.jpg

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/Nuprin1030/Mya%20Moe/MyaMoe8.jpg

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/Nuprin1030/Mya%20Moe/MyaMoe9.jpg

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/Nuprin1030/Mya%20Moe/MyaMoe10.jpg

Here is a link (http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=380&submit=Track) to Mya Moe's UkeTracker which shows their steps as well as some build-in-process pictures.

soupking
01-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Looks awesome, dude. You have to get a video up asap as soon as you get it. Interested to see how the myrtle sounds.

Toucan Mango
01-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow, that is very nice! congrats!

Plainsong
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I know. I have them in my Twitter feed. ;)

Your wood combo has me on the fence about my dreamed-of Mya-Moe. I wanted a blondie type mango concert. But I waffle about the blinged out versus not. If I go bling, I want maple/maple, but is that not really good visually with mango? But myrtle is only a little brighter sonically, and there you have that blond wood going on with the maple/maple binding, which is the look I want if I go blinged-out.

When my time comes I know Gordon and Char will help me narrow it down, but thanks for choosing that combo. It helps me visualize my dream uke. :)

And if you don't post pics when it arrives, I suggest that banning should be mandatory. ;)

dkcrown
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Nuprin, you have a nack for choosing great wood combinations and accents on your ukes. First the boat paddle, then the MP, and now this. Congrats and Happy New Year.

mds725
01-04-2011, 04:32 PM
That's a beautiful ukulele. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

haole
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been stalking your uke on Twitter for a while. It looks absolutely fantastic! Has the grain of koa and the neat coloring of mango. I can see why myrtle is becoming popular for Mya-Moe lately!

Gmoney
01-04-2011, 04:47 PM
DANG! That is beautiful! Now I know why you sold me the Gstring. Making way for the Mya-Moe. It is just incredibly beautiful. Can't wait to hear it, Chris.

So... now I have to decide - when I order my custom this year - will it be a Mya-Moe or a Moore Bettah?!

Kalihonu
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Aloha Nuprin, that baby is sweet. Congratulations!

rem50
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
very sweet

haolejohn
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
That Myrtle wood sure is purty:)

Nuprin
01-04-2011, 08:10 PM
DANG! That is beautiful! Now I know why you sold me the Gstring. Making way for the Mya-Moe. It is just incredibly beautiful. Can't wait to hear it, Chris.

So... now I have to decide - when I order my custom this year - will it be a Mya-Moe or a Moore Bettah?!

Both! I'm on Chuck's waiting list with an estimated June or July start date.

Nuprin
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Looks awesome, dude. You have to get a video up asap as soon as you get it. Interested to see how the myrtle sounds.

Already got a song picked out...something I've been working on for the past month or so. In the meantime, you can always hear Matt Dahlberg's (aka thejumpingflea) myrtle Mya Moe tenor...I love this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKA-DUuduI)

Nuprin
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
And if you don't post pics when it arrives, I suggest that banning should be mandatory. ;)

That made me laugh!!!

Nuprin
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Nuprin, you have a nack for choosing great wood combinations and accents on your ukes. First the boat paddle, then the MP, and now this. Congrats and Happy New Year.

Thank you...I give all credit to the luthiers...I come up with a rough idea and they make it pretty!

thejumpingflea
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Already got a song picked out...something I've been working on for the past month or so. In the meantime, you can always hear Matt Dahlberg's (aka thejumpingflea) myrtle Mya Moe tenor...I love this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKA-DUuduI)

Hey thanks! I love my Mya Moe and I'm sure you'll love yours too. Congrats!!

Adie227
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Very nice.

Do they consider making them without the trademark headstock? I guess I answered the question already.

Hippie Dribble
01-04-2011, 10:45 PM
wow Nuprin. Now THAT is gorgeous!!! The perfect looking uke. Mine isn't down to be built til June but I'm going a concert with curly myrtle and maple binding too. Now I know why I've chosen that mix. Man you've got a wonderful looking uke there. Congratulations!!! Can't wait for the video...:)

mm stan
01-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Aloha Nuprin,
It's beautiful, congrats .....You so much deserve it...Have fun and enjoy....thanks for sharing and sharing the in depth process sheet....I am even more amazed by Mya Moe now, no wonder they are
so busy...and have such a big following....hats off to both of you!! Happy Strummings.. MM Stan..:iwant:

guitharsis
01-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Just gorgeous. Love the Myrtle wood. Congrats!

johntz
01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Gorgeous. Play it in good health.

casarole45
01-05-2011, 02:44 AM
totally lush buddy! =D

Mandarb
01-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Looks beautiful. Enjoy.

<eM>Burr
01-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Do they consider making them without the trademark headstock?

Yes, they will make the headstock different for you.

Matt's Celtic inspired tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukKA-DUuduI) helped sell me on the Myrtle wood to. Mine starts on the 21st, I can not wait...

GX9901
01-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Very nice! I've got a myrtle concert Tradition on order. Hopefully when it comes time to pick out the wood set, they have something similar to yours. Looking forward to your video.

thejumpingflea
01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Very nice! I've got a myrtle concert Tradition on order. Hopefully when it comes time to pick out the wood set, they have something similar to yours. Looking forward to your video.

You are unacceptable.

One month since you last updated your blog?! ;)

Chap
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm on the list with a Mar 16 start date for a Chocolate Heart Myrtle Concert Resonator.

Still doing a bit of waffling on the other details and options.

GX9901
01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
You are unacceptable.

One month since you last updated your blog?! ;)

Has it been that long?? :p I guess I was busy for the holidays or something. ;)

sukie
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Very pretty. Looks like a keeper.

Gabriellaxyz
01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Woooaahhh, Niiice!!
<3

Nuprin
01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
It arrived today and it's amazing! Thus far it's not as loud as my MP, Kamaka, or Kanile'a but the myrtle easily has the most balanced sound out of any of my ukes. It sounds great fingerpicked but it is absolutely amazing for strumming. A note was included saying their ukes typically take 3-6 months to open up and will increase in both volume and sustain once it does.

It plays wonderfully...the neck is a tad bit thinner than my other tenors...a little closer in thickness to the KoAloha tenor I had. The neck is very comfortable and makes playing a joy. Surprisingly, the radiused fretboard took a little time to get used to...right now I don't know if I like it better or worse than non-radiused fretboards...it's just different. Having never played one before but assuming it would make a big difference, I had told Chuck that I wanted a radiused fretboard on my Moore Bettah once he gets started...right now I'm not sure if I'll stick with it.

I have a couple of very, very small complaints. First, the included case (which is very nice...a Kala black chequered case) is too big. The uke moves around in it so I'll need to add a t-shirt or something to keep the uke in place. Second, and this is a very, very minor complaint, is that they misspelled my last name on the inner label. My last name starts with Mac...they spelled it Mc. Again, very small complaint but for some reason it bugs me a little. Otherwise the uke is a dream and I am incredibly happy with it.

I'll try to make a video tomorrow. I strongly recommend Mya Moe to anyone interested in getting a really, really nice uke. Gordon and Char are wonderful to work with and they make a fine, fine instrument.

On a side note, I'm a sucker for maple accents. My BP, MP, and Mya Moe all have maple bindings. I have asked Chuck if he will do a maple binding and maple rosette on my Moore Bettah (I love the look of Aldrine's maple rosette on his signature Kanile'a). Chuck has said he will need to find the right set of koa to make it work, koa with both dark and light coloration...surprisingly (at least to me), he said no one has ever asked for maple binding on their ukes. Maybe I'm weird but I've always loved the coloration and grain of maple.

soupking
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the update. I've had a deposit in and I'm happy the myrtle sounds good for strumming, because that's what I was leaning toward (myrtle) as I've not really advanced yet too much beyond simple strumming and such. Enjoy it, and I hope it opens up for you as advertised!

France
01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
That uke is sweet. Been loving their latest myrtle builds. Interesting that you are not too fond of the radiused fretboard, I thought it would be a dream to play. I've got about a week to wait until my mango tenor is strung up, can't wait. Hopefully I'll get used to the fretboard. Anyway congrats Nuprin, with a Moore Bettah on the way you're a lucky man. I hope you find "the one" one day.

Francis

Nuprin
01-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Interesting that you are not too fond of the radiused fretboard

It's not that I'm not fond of the radiused fretboard...it's just different. I do like it but I'm finding (at least as of right now) that it's not making a big difference in ease of playing. I don't really know what I was expecting...I guess I thought that it would feel very similar to non-radiused fretboards but would just be easier to play...wasn't really expecting it would be something I would have to get used to.

I hope you find "the one" one day.

I've found too many of "the one"...that's my problem!

Mandarb
01-14-2011, 03:48 AM
Congrats on the new uke. Sorry to hear about some of the disappointments.

fumanshu
01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Hey Nuprin!!! It's a very nice uke that you get man!!!! I always like how Mya Moe ukes look like specially they mango-mapple uke...

But yeah, I'm very curious how does it sound to your MP spruce top.... I dont't know how's your MP but my spruce top-koa one is easily the loudest and most refined uke sound that anything I have...

Anyway, congrats once again on your new baby!

Nuprin
01-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Hey Nuprin!!! It's a very nice uke that you get man!!!! I always like how Mya Moe ukes look like specially they mango-mapple uke...

But yeah, I'm very curious how does it sound to your MP spruce top.... I dont't know how's your MP but my spruce top-koa one is easily the loudest and most refined uke sound that anything I have...

Anyway, congrats once again on your new baby!

At present it's definitely quieter than my MP. It has a more balanced tone though whereas my MP is a little brighter.

I posted a video in the video and links section:
Link. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40834-Bohemian-Rhapsody-Jake-s-arrangement-on-new-Mya-Moe)

Gmoney
01-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Man, that sounds & looks fantastic! Doesn't look like you got a pickup installed? Are you going to add a Fishman to it like you did the others?

Nuprin
01-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Man, that sounds & looks fantastic! Doesn't look like you got a pickup installed? Are you going to add a Fishman to it like you did the others?

Sure am! I like the idea of having a pickup but I don't often plug-in...therefore I can't justify spending a lot of money on pickups. For about $70 I can get the Fishman passive uke pickup and have it installed by my local luthier. Tough to beat that.

iDavid
01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey Nuprin,
You getting an amazing collection. Is there a stand out in terms of volume?

shaokee
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM
the world of custom ukes. dang, i shudn't be here. not just yet. the temptation. noooo~

congrats on the new uke nuprin! i enjoyed your bohemian rhapsody video, the uke sounds oh so sweeeeet. and you've got skillz :worship:

Nuprin
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Hey Nuprin,
You getting an amazing collection. Is there a stand out in terms of volume?

Got to go with the MP or Kamaka for volume.

iDavid
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I came VERT close to geting an MP and still think they are great. I just couldn't pick between all the options. I still look at his "for sale" page.

Nuprin
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I came VERT close to geting an MP and still think they are great. I just couldn't pick between all the options. I still look at his "for sale" page.

Thus far I have been very, very happy with my custom ukes (BP, MP, Mya Moe). In my opinion it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Lexxy
01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
You, Sir Nuprin have absolutely amazing uke skills.

maclay
01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Got to love the Mya Moe ukes.........
I met Gordan and Char last year, and they seem like great people.

Jake Maclay
Hive Ukuleles
http://www.hiveukuleles.com

Plainsong
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I've fallen in love with that uke a little bit. Pausing '39 to have a listen was worth it. Ever had a stab at The Prophet's Song?

And BTW, you and your uke are AMAZING.