Case Preference: What type, and Why?

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Okay, I've just gotten my 3rd playable ukulele. One has the ancient chipboard case that came with it (he Harmony) and the other two have Uke Crazy Hardfoam Cases, although the Cordoba originally came with a gig bag.

I'm looking at getting real hard case for the Kala - I'm thinking that while it will weigh more, it will offer better protection.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this? Hard case, hard foam, gig bag: Which do you prefer, and why.

Thanks!

-Kurt

I like the ukulele-shaped hard cases. The main reason is that I can put stickers on it, whereas on the canvas foam ones, I have a harder time getting things to stick. Plus people automatically know that there is an ukulele in there, rather than a violin. I also find that they stack better than the foam cases. Gig bags on the other hand do not provide enough protection for me. Right now, I only have my flea, fluke, and applause in gig bags, and the common link between those is that they all have plastic backs and rather rugged construction, so I'm not too worried about them taking damage.

For me, weight is not a real issue (especially since ukes are featherweight compared to a guitar), and protection is more important.

Hi Kurt,

Hard case first, hardfoam second, chipboard third, gigbag-----never.
Just my thoughts

Cheers.

I prefer a hard case for my pricier ukes because even with a humidifier going full tilt, with laundry drying indoors, I can manage no better than 30% RH. It's usually closer to 20%. I'm leaving the Mainland and Eleuke out, keeping them near(ish) to the humidifier and letting the cards fall where they may. But the Kanilea and Howlett Helsinki Uke? No way. The Helsinki uke in particular is very very responsive to indoor climate change. It _knows_! I don't hold that against it. The best clarinet I ever had also had a similar personality.

So Hard cases and in case humidifiers are a must, and they don't get played much in the winter - giving me a case of sad.

I love my Guardian archtop case. I think it looks classy, has great latches and the best handle I've seen on ANY uke case.
I've got one of the Fremont rectangular cases which is very nice but I like the uke shaped cases better most of the time.
I also just got one of the hard plastic Travis cases this week (from Ukulele World). It looks nice so far, a fun red/silver color, will have to live with it a while before declaring it a keeper. Various other cheap hard cases and hardfoam cases but I like the 3 above best for the $. Tried a Gator case but my uke at the time didn't fit, and they're pricey/heavier, but they have a great reputation.

All three of my tenors came in pretty nice gig bags. No, they're not as nice or protective as hard shelled cases, but unless I fall on top of one, it's probably all the protection I need.

Humidity here in SoCal isn't really an issue, but if it were, I'd be putting humidifiers into the cases of my (expensive) luthier made guitars before my (fairly cheap) ukes.

I use an Ameritage silver series case for two of my ukes. They are on the heavy side and are rather expensive, but for protection, I think they can't be beat (this side of a Calton).

cases

I put all of my wood and vintage ukes in soprano fancy hard cases--not the styrofoam zippers but latched cases. I have bought all of them here:

http://www.sprucehouseukuleles.com/
premcase.jpg

The cases are $49 + shipping.

I did just order a hard case off Amazon for $26--we'll see. I also have a square Fremont case from MGM that I have my Martin in.

My novelty ukes go in Gig Bags, or, I keep them in the factory box and insert them in a bride-made "uke-sack:
ukesak2.jpgukesak1.jpg

I'm really diggin the aNueNue case my mom got my for Xmas. It's real like and I can carry it on my back. Although I do have to admit I would love to have a hard case to put stickers on though. For me the strap on the back outweighs the stickers though.

Last edited:
I use an Ameritage silver series case for two of my ukes. They are on the heavy side and are rather expensive, but for protection, I think they can't be beat (this side of a Calton).
Does Calton make a uke case? I checked out their website, but didn't see one. I've owned a Calton mandolin case, and it's the best. It will even withstand airline baggage handlers.

I use hardfoam cases for my ukes. I purchased a ProTec case with my Kamaka. It is a hardfoam case with lots of protection.

Does Calton make a uke case? I checked out their website, but didn't see one. I've owned a Calton mandolin case, and it's the best. It will even withstand airline baggage handlers.

I think it is the mandolin case -- but I'm not sure. Jake Shimabukuro uses a yellow one.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5048-Jake-s-Uke-case

I like my Ameritage but it is heavy, I would love to get a Calton. I've contemplated saving up to get one but I wish I could see them in person rather than just on the website to be sure I really want it.

Last edited:
Gigbags are fine for anything $200 and below, in my book. Above that, a nice hard case is essential. Plus, a hard case with lots of stickers makes you play better. :)

Hard shaped case is my preference. I have dumb cats and dogs and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think they tend to fit a little snugger than the foam cases.

I like hard cases the best for protection. Plus there is something really fun about carrying something around that looks like a baby guitar case.

I like my hard foam/zipper thingy. I end up hauling my equipment around on buses, trains and afoot, and the shoulder strap is a godsend. It's also on my bike sometimes, but then stuff is strapped in real good.
I put one of my band's stickers on it. It's slowly peeling off and I have to watch it, but the sticker helps me find the case in a dark room.

I prefer a hard case. I really like Oscar Schmidt cases. I like the insides of them. I like the handles. They aren't swingy handles, but are really firm. Padded and not swingy. The Uke Crazy case handles feel very cheap and I think they would break too easily. Hard cases are actaully a bit of a pain for carrying ukuleles around. But when you have a really nice ukulele, you want to protect it. I've had 3 concert ukes (one is even a super-concert) and they all fit nice and snug inside. The Oscar S. cases also seem to be a tad bit "taller" and my thick uke sits in there really well too. The Oscar S. case lock also works. Unlike the Uke Crazy case lock. I like that they are brown, not black. Everybody seems to have black cases. And stickers work great on them. I like stickers on my case. Makes it really easy to pick my case out.

Top Bottom