Ashbory bass guitar

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anybody seen or heard a new Ashbory bass guitar yet?

Not a new one, but before I bought my U-bass, I checked through online forums and reviews about the Ashbory. Biggest complaint seemed to be about the strings continuing to stretch.

I'm not sure what you mean by "new", but about four years ago I bought one of the Dearmond Ashbory basses that Fender currently produces. I returned it becasue I didn't like the body shape, sticky strings and fretless fingerboard. I have a Kala U-Bass now and I thinks that's a vast improvem,ent over the original concept. I've also tried a Road Toad Bufo Bass (they licensed the U-Bass to Kala) one of Joel Eckhaus' "Stretch" ukulele basses and although both were fretless, I liked them both better than the Ashbory. If you don't like the current U-Bass, you could wait until the solidbody version is available. If you do get an Ashbory, I would replace the silicon strings with the ones made for the U-Bass.

- Steve

Thanks. It's not that we don't like the U-bass. It is priced out of our reach.

I always hear about the complaints of the Ashbory strings, and I always have to say the same:
Get the Owen's Road Toad Music strings that Kala uses too for the U-Bass.
I have them on my Ashbory for 4 years now (never changed them yet), and am absolutely satisfied.

Okay, now I have to know why the u-bass is preferred over the Ashbory, in some cases?

I think some people prefer the ashbory some the ubass. try 'em both to see what you like. Myself I was wanting something that looked like a uke and sounded great plugged in. I found it with the Ubass.

I just found this small but informative thread. I am in the same boat, comparing the Ashbory and Kala Ubass. I have played a Ubass and liked it a lot, I have not played the Ashbory. What I did not like about the Ubass was the passive pickup, no control at all. The Ashbory has a certain "Geek" factor, I've never heard of one around here and there are lots of musicians in SE Florida. But by the time you buy the Ashbory and put the Pahoehoe strings on it you may as well just get the Ubass!

I will have to either wait for the solid body Ubass or maybe convert a baritone uke, adding an active pickup system. That way I can have fun building it and save money too.

At least there is no rush, I can investigate the options further.

Top Bottom