Question about stringing your ukulele

bem1234

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Within the last two weeks I bought my first ukulele which is a soprano and after doing some reading i decided to purchases some new strings. I ended up buying these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H0LQO/ref=oss_product
I got them in the mail today and on the packages of the 4 strings are the notes B F# D and A instead of the GCEA i would have imagined. Can i use these to string my ukulele or do I have to return them? Thanks

Hmmm, that's weird it should tell you which strings are which but it appears from your package that your first string should be labeled .024, your second .032, your third .034, and your fourth .028. Also in case you don't know your first string is your bottom string, so basically A = .024, E = .032, C = .034, and G = .028.

Hope that helps, good choice in strings by the way, once you get it set up you'll be soundin great! =]

Last edited:
If you turn that around you have A, D, F#, B - one full step above GCEA. I've heard that ADF#B was once considered the "standard" soprano tuning - so you should have no problem tuning those one step down to GCEA.

John

Aloha Bem1234,
I'd call them back and tell them you received your strings in D tuning and you wanted C tuning GCEA.....
as mentioned D is a little higher, and I prefer the standard GCEA good luck, MM Stan...

gCEA has become the common day standard, although you can play with them slacked down a step, I would recommend getting strings designated for your tuning you will play in. I personally have not tried this, but I have spoken with a few other members about it and they have all recommended getting the correct set.

I believe the only strings D'Addario makes which are designated for soprano are the ones you got. I've used them for gCEA tuning and they worked, but were a little more slack than I was used to. They still sounded okay though.

Top Bottom